title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Will it? - Multiple Artists in WMA File

https://www.accountkiller.com/removal-requested

Question Will it? - Multiple Artists in WMA File

Hello all,

I have just recently found this software and it looks very promising .

However I want to make sure it can help me with what I want before I buy it.

My problem is that I am currently unable to, in-code (using a library called TagLib sharp), view multiple artists for a WMA file. It works for mp3 and other formats, but I only see the first artist in a WMA file. This is the case in many programs, not just libraries.

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to tell me (hopefully by first-hand experience, not just what "should" work) if it's possible to view and edit semicolon-separated values in-code by referencing dbPA's COM object?

Thanks a bunch for your time,

Karl

Administrator

Re: Will it? - Multiple Artists in WMA File

Yes it can.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Yes it can.
    Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply.

I have a question now in terms of managing conversations and tag optimization (because iTunes apparently doesn't know how a song can have more than one artist).

I would like this functionality because I am giving up (removing from my possession) my entire music collection, which exists on an external hard drive.

However, my friend uses iTunes whereas I used Zune to get/rip all my music in wma format.

I'm pretty sure I'll buy the software, but can you give me advice on how best to transfer I would love you. I have somewhat of an idea:

I'll have my code loop through the whole collection two songs at a time, store the current and last artist info into an array, then check to see which of the artists in the first song is also in the second one. Repeat for every song in the huge collection.

I dunno how dirty (hacky, bulky, etc.) that method is, as I'm sort of new to hardcore programming such as this xD. If you could give me any advice on how to minimize time and heartbreak without telling me not to be OCD I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again,
    Karl

Administrator

I am not sure how you can make iTunes support multi artists.

Question Re: Will it? - Multiple Artists in WMA File

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    I am not sure how you can make iTunes support multi artists.
    I know that that is not possible. I'm just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to go about transferring/converting/tagging the songs programmatically such that I don't have this mess of entries in iTunes:

Elton John - 40 songs
    Elton John;Kiki Dee - 1 songs
    Elton John;Eminem - 1 songs
    B.o.B - 20 songs
    B.o.B;Haylee Williams;Eminem - 2 songs

I gave my method that I'll use, but I don't know how much more difficult that is than it should be, etc. Not sure if there's an easier way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
    I'll have my code loop through the whole collection two songs at a time, store the current and last artist info into an array, then check to see which of the artists in the first song is also in the second one. Repeat for every song in the huge collection.
    Thanks,
    Karl
    Last edited by Ballistic; 08-05-2013 at 04:36 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

What about using ALBUM ARTIST field for all songs. For example make the ALBUM ARTIST Elton John. I think iTunes will use this but haven't confirmed.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    What about using ALBUM ARTIST field for all songs. For example make the ALBUM ARTIST Elton John. I think iTunes will use this but haven't confirmed.
    iTunes uses ALBUM ARTIST, but certain (older) iPods use ARTIST only. For example, on Coverflow for non-Compilations, my iPod (iPod Classic 160GB 6th generation) displays Track 1 Artist for an album. Drives me nuts that Apple do not fix this.
    Last edited by mville; 08-06-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: more info

Talking Re: Will it? - Multiple Artists in WMA File

What about using ALBUM ARTIST field for all songs
    That is genius and I hadn't thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    iTunes uses ALBUM ARTIST, but certain (older) iPods use ARTIST only. For example, on Coverflow for non-Compilations, my iPod (iPod Classic 160GB 6th generation) displays Track 1 Artist for an album. Drives me nuts that Apple do not fix this.
    What I can do is loop through all the songs and set the contributing artists tag to the album artist tag.

Thanks for the replies guys :-). Big help.

I guess I still have the problem of possibly not having anything in the album artist tag, as far as choosing the correct artist to set.

dBpoweramp Guru

I would have thought you'd want the opposite. That is, make the "main" artist the ALBUM ARTIST and then have the main artist and contributing artist in the multiple artist tags. You can easily assign the ARTIST tag value to the ALBUM ARTIST tag in an automatic batch manner with either dbpa ID TAG UPDATE or mp3tag.

Red face Re: Will it? - Multiple Artists in WMA File

You can easily assign the ARTIST tag value to the ALBUM ARTIST tag in an automatic batch manner with either dbpa ID TAG UPDATE or mp3tag.
    This is what I'm going to do. Sorry for not making myself clear.