title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Windows Home Server Console not working all of a sudden

Windows Home Server Console not working all of a sudden

Hi,

My RipNAS is playing up.

Just switched it on after being away for a few days.

Using Kinsky I can navigate to some extent. If I go through Advanced/Folders/Music and then get nothing. I can go through Artist and put an album into the playlist, but it doesn't play.

I can log on with RDC, but I get some MS report error dialogs and when I click on Windows Home Server Console I get a dialog with the following message:

The Windows Home Server Computer Backup service is not running. Some Windows Home Service functions will not be available. Please restart Windows Home Server. If the problem persists contact Product Support.

Help!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Windows Home Server Console not working all of a sudden

It is likely the hdd containing the music has failed and been removed, have a look on the storage tab in console.

You didn't understand my post. When I click on the Windows Home Server Console shortcut on the desktop I get the error message:

The Windows Home Server Computer Backup service is not running. Some Windows Home Service functions will not be available. Please restart Windows Home Server. If the problem persists contact Product Support.

How do I restart Windows Home Server so that I can access the console?

Administrator

Check in Windows Explorer that there are 2 drives, C: and D:

Thanks Spoon.

Although both "SYS (C:)" & "Local Disk (D:)" appear in WE, when clicking on D the mouse hourglasses for several seconds and then says:

The Disk is not formatted. Do you want to format it now? Obviously I clicked N.

So, send back to Austria for repair or are the drives easily swappable? I've swap drives on a ReadyNAS Duo a few times, how easy to disassemble the RipNAS and replace a drive, if so which drives are recommended?

For what it's worth, at boot I get 4 "report error to MS", all 4 are:
    szAppName demigrator.exe szAppVer 6.0.2423.0 Mod Name deutil.dll offset 01a308
    Reporting 2 files demigrator.exe.mdmp and appcompat.txt

Just had a look at the online manual. I don't seem to have any restore CDs or USB drive.
    Last edited by warrengday; 08-01-2013 at 05:31 AM.

I hope I can get my RipNAS working again.

I've thought about getting a different NAS but they all seem to be bigger and designed for being hid away and make noise, given my small room that's not a possibility, hence the reason to get this working again.

Administrator

The HDDs are not as easy to swap as in larger NAS devices, for most people I would recommend the factory does it.

Many thanks again.

Hi,

I've not heard anything from the factory for over 2 weeks. They were going to send me a combined plug that has both a sata and another cable coming out of it to connect to the motherboard, but I haven't heard anything. I've also had no email response in the last few days where they used to be so prompt. Is the company still active, on holiday?

Just got an email.

Administrator

They do shut down for a period over summer (enforced company holiday).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The HDDs are not as easy to swap as in larger NAS devices, for most people I would recommend the factory does it.
    I changed the second drive in my RipNAS from 500GB to 1TB (I have duplication turned off since I do external backups) and found it hardly any more difficult than swapping a drive in a PC. It's all a little fiddly because of the compactness but just make sure it all goes back as it came apart and it should be fine. I took digital photos during disassembly as a reference but ultimately didn't need them.