title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Do I need to rip one more time if I need more tags ?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8

    Do I need to rip one more time if I need more tags ?

    Hello

    I'm a DJ with a lot of CD and I have asked a compagny to do the rip for me.

    I'm sure at 99% they have been using dbpoweramp engine to do the rip.

    Unfortunatly some tags I need, for example ISRC, UPC, are not in the MP3 and FLAC files. Is there a way to get these tags without reripping the CD ?

    Regards,
    DJMan

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    38,487

    Re: Do I need to rip one more time if I need more tags ?

    No I do not think it is possible.

  3. #3
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    754

    Re: Do I need to rip one more time if I need more tags ?

    Quote Originally Posted by djman View Post
    Hello

    I'm a DJ with a lot of CD and I have asked a compagny to do the rip for me.

    I'm sure at 99% they have been using dbpoweramp engine to do the rip.

    Unfortunatly some tags I need, for example ISRC, UPC, are not in the MP3 and FLAC files. Is there a way to get these tags without reripping the CD ?

    Regards,
    DJMan
    I would load them into a tag editor (e.g., mp3tag) and find the needed tags in one of the online databases, like MusicBrainz or Discogs.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8

    Re: Do I need to rip one more time if I need more tags ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    I would load them into a tag editor (e.g., mp3tag) and find the needed tags in one of the online databases, like MusicBrainz or Discogs.
    I have tried but it doesn't work very well : difficult to have the metadata quality of dbpoweramp. And not very fast, I have about 1 500 CD.

    A few months ago, I also tried various automatic taggers like ones adviced on musicbrainz web site. The results were very bad, a lot of tags were corrupted. Maybe I should try one more time.

    I you have a automatic or semi-automatic tagger you know is doing a good job, I'm interested. Probably a tagger working on a album basis and using both fingeprinting and existing tags ?

    Regards,
    DJMan

  5. #5
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    754

    Re: Do I need to rip one more time if I need more tags ?

    Quote Originally Posted by djman View Post
    I have tried but it doesn't work very well : difficult to have the metadata quality of dbpoweramp. And not very fast, I have about 1 500 CD.

    A few months ago, I also tried various automatic taggers like ones adviced on musicbrainz web site. The results were very bad, a lot of tags were corrupted. Maybe I should try one more time.

    I you have a automatic or semi-automatic tagger you know is doing a good job, I'm interested. Probably a tagger working on a album basis and using both fingeprinting and existing tags ?

    Regards,
    DJMan
    Automation and accuracy are fitful bedfellows when it comes to the online databases. Of course, it'd be nice to be able to just submit hundreds of albums to some reliable service that completely & accurately fills in all the blanks (or even better, the exact tags you specify). But it just doesn't work that way.

    To answer your question directly- no, I don't think there's anything that will do this for you automatically. If you want accuracy, it requires your review and approval.....for every album. Off the top of my head, MusicBrainz Picard seems like a good option for what you want. You can submit larger batches of albums at once, then review & approve matches for the albums pretty quickly, all in one window. This is more efficient than submitting one album at a time in, say, mp3tag. (There may be similar programs that I'm not familiar with....but I've used Picard and found it pretty useful.)

    It'll take some time to go through 1500 albums this way, but it's still considerably faster than re-ripping all of them, where you'd have to review & approve the tags again anyway.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8

    Re: Do I need to rip one more time if I need more tags ?

    I have tried MusicBrainz Picard on one album and it's working pretty well.

    But I would prefer not to overide existing tags just write new tags, I didn't found how to do this. I'm more confident with the tags computed by dbpoweramp.

    And I would like to do a backup of my tags before doing this. Do you know a tool to do this ? And if possible a tool to restore tags. All the tags or the ones I have selected.

    DJMan

  7. #7
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    754

    Re: Do I need to rip one more time if I need more tags ?

    Quote Originally Posted by djman View Post
    I have tried MusicBrainz Picard on one album and it's working pretty well.

    But I would prefer not to overide existing tags just write new tags, I didn't found how to do this. I'm more confident with the tags computed by dbpoweramp.

    And I would like to do a backup of my tags before doing this. Do you know a tool to do this ? And if possible a tool to restore tags. All the tags or the ones I have selected.

    DJMan
    dBp Music Converter can write metadata files, as can mp3tag.

    Again, there's no way to fully automate tag merging. But MusicBrainz does accommodate a fairly efficient way to do it manually. In the Options >> Tags section, there's a setting for whether to clear existing tags, as well as an option where you can specify which existing tags to preserve. Then when you select a processed album, the tag panel at the bottom lets you look at the existing ('original") values alongside the MusicBraninz ("new") values. It's pretty quick to glance through and check that they match. (All the important ones generally do.)

    On a final note, dBp doesn't compute tags....it extracts from online databases like every other ripper or tagging program. As does Picard. I don't know exactly which tags you need to add, but I've found the MusicBrainz database to be relatively accurate and thorough (though none of them are 100% reliable). If you try processing more albums (in Pacard), I suspect you'll become more comfortable with the accuracy of the database and be able to process whole albums pretty quickly.

  8. #8
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,538

    Re: Do I need to rip one more time if I need more tags ?

    Quote Originally Posted by djman View Post
    And I would like to do a backup of my tags before doing this. Do you know a tool to do this ? And if possible a tool to restore tags. All the tags or the ones I have selected.
    Use MP3Tag to Export your existing tags. Use MP3Tag, Text file - Tag option to restore.

  9. #9
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    754

    Re: Do I need to rip one more time if I need more tags ?

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Use MP3Tag to Export your existing tags. Use MP3Tag, Text file - Tag option to restore.
    It's worth noting, for a user unfamiliar with mp3tag, that it doesn't save all tags by default. The export tool should be edited to specify which tags are to be saved.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8

    Re: Do I need to rip one more time if I need more tags ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    dBp Music Converter can write metadata files, as can mp3tag.

    Again, there's no way to fully automate tag merging. But MusicBrainz does accommodate a fairly efficient way to do it manually. In the Options >> Tags section, there's a setting for whether to clear existing tags, as well as an option where you can specify which existing tags to preserve.
    OK thanks it's exactly what I need !

    Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    I don't know exactly which tags you need to add, but I've found the MusicBrainz database...
    In fact I would like to have an identifier of the CD I own : ISRC, UPC. I'm not sure I can found this tag in musicbrainz database. Do you know if these tags are available in AMG (rovi) or GD3 database ?

    DJMan

  11. #11
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    754

    Re: Do I need to rip one more time if I need more tags ?

    Quote Originally Posted by djman View Post
    In fact I would like to have an identifier of the CD I own : ISRC, UPC. I'm not sure I can found this tag in musicbrainz database. Do you know if these tags are available in AMG (rovi) or GD3 database ?

    DJMan
    I don't think any of the databases will consistently have that data. I just dropped a few album folders into Picard and mp3tag to see what some of the various databases came up with. The results were spotty (ie., barcodes & ISRCs were often there, but sometimes not); UPC was least reliably included. I suspect this is because there are often numerous offerings of a CD that are essentially the same album but different products.

    Oddly enough, ASIN seems to be the unique identifier that I found most consistently. (Roll on, Big River!) If you only need to make sure you have a universally unique alphanumeric identifier for each CD, this may well be the most efficient solution.

    I think you can cobble together the ISRCs from the various databases. (MusicBrainz had that data for most of the CDs I checked; discogs often has it, but requires a much more time-consuming search...; I'm sure all the databases are similarly spotty, but you could eventually find them all.) But if you absolutely MUST have the correct UPC for every one of your CDs (why is that, BTW?), you may be better off buying a cheap scanner and using something like Music Collector. (It's a database program for cataloging personal libraries). There are often so many releases of albums, especially older ones, that ensuring you have the right UPCs for your all your particular CDs could prove tedious.

    A final note: Unless you're a careful "tag cleaner-upper," ripped music often has a bunch of hidden tags you don't even know are there, because players/programs don't happen to use or display them. It may be worth checking your music for these extended tags before going to the trouble of searching for them! A quick method would be to modify the display options in mp3tag and dropping them in to check. Also, the "Extended Tags" button opens a pop-up that shows all the metadata included on the track/album.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8

    Re: Do I need to rip one more time if I need more tags ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    you may be better off buying a cheap scanner and using something like Music Collector. (It's a database program for cataloging personal libraries).
    I had a look, there is an export feature so it should be possible write the ISRC tag using mp3 tag. But the album title in collectorz database may not be exactly the same as in my MP3 files, how can I handle this ?


    Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    But if you absolutely MUST have the correct UPC for every one of your CDs (why is that, BTW?)
    As every collector I like to have good metadata. But if there is a few errors it's OK !

    DJMan

  13. #13
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    754

    Re: Do I need to rip one more time if I need more tags ?

    Quote Originally Posted by djman View Post
    I had a look, there is an export feature so it should be possible write the ISRC tag using mp3 tag. But the album title in collectorz database may not be exactly the same as in my MP3 files, how can I handle this ?
    Sorry, I don't quite get the question....

    If you're talking about the export function in mp3tag, that's not for altering/adding/changing tags, but for saving them to an external file. Or did you mean something in Music Collector?

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8

    Re: Do I need to rip one more time if I need more tags ?

    Sorry I was not clear, you did not understand.

    The workflow is the folowing:
    - ask music collectorz to scan my ripped music,
    - the IRSC tag should be now in my collectorz database for most of my files,
    - export my collectorz database in a CSV file with the folowing fields: ISRC, Album name, Album artist (one line for every album)
    - export with mp3 tag in a CSV with the track title, artist, album name

    I'm not a spreadsheet specialist but it should be possible to add a column ISRC in the mp3tag CSV and to set the value according to infos in the music collectorz csv. The only problem I see, it that the album name may not match exactly between the two CSV files, how can I handle this ?

    The final step of the workflow is to import the resulting CSV with mp3tag to have the ISRC field in the file itself.

    DJMan

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •