title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Unable to decode m4a file

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yankeediver
    • Jul 2013

Unable to decode m4a file

I have downloaded the trial version of this software and I am trying to convert an m4b file. I renamed the file to m4a and followed the online directions. I have 4 files that I need to convert and each one gives me this error

Unable to decode m4a file (is corrupt or not supported audio type).

I know the files works I can listen to the books just fine. Is there something I am missing? I am selecting the lame option when I am converting.
  • Wayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2002

Re: Unable to decode m4a file

The file could be protected especially if it was bought via iTunes. How do you listen to the file? Did you buy the m4b file yourself?

Comment

• yankeediver
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Wayne
      The file could be protected especially if it was bought via iTunes. How do you listen to the file? Did you buy the m4b file yourself?
      Yes I do download the files directly from iTues and they are protected. I thought that is what lame.exe was suppose to remove. Is this a problem?

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by yankeediver
        Yes I do download the files directly from iTues and they are protected. I thought that is what lame.exe was suppose to remove. Is this a problem?
        lame is the mp3 encoder (converts the file to mp3 format). But it does NOT remove DRM (the protection scheme that itunes/apple store purchases used to use (I say "used to use" as they don't use this for music files, but they may still use this for audiobooks....don't know).

Comment

• yankeediver
          • Jul 2013

They are definitely protected. Does this program remove the DRM from the files?

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by yankeediver
            They are definitely protected. Does this program remove the DRM from the files?
            No. nothing about this program will help with that.

In the past I had some protected itunes files that I wanted to play on a nonipod/nonitunes system. I was able to burn those to disk with itunes as audio files that are playable in any CD player. Then I ripped that disk with dbpa (or use any ripper) to create new digital files that did not have DRM. I ripped to FLAC (lossless) even though these were lossy (AAC) files. This is because I would otherwise be converting from lossy to lossy and potentially affecting sound quality. This said, I could have probably ripped the files to high bitrate mp3 and been just as well off regarding sound quality.

Comment

• yankeediver
              • Jul 2013

OK. Thanks.

Comment

Working...

]]>