title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Editing Advanced Search data fields

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alastor
    • Jul 2013

Editing Advanced Search data fields

Howdy,

I am working on a project for a client who wants custom metadata for a classical library but wants it to be simple and clean to search/navigate.

One of the useful fields for him will be the Year field. I have tested the program out, and it works well to populate the data, but I have a question. Can the Year field be made to just show the specific year listed in the metadata tag, and not the decade folders (ie 1960's, 1980's).

It may be something this person finds useful, but I have a feeling it may just add to the clutter of the interface, causing a bit of info overload for him.

Also, I notice that you get REGULAR questions about NAS drive compatibility, and the answer seems most often to be that it will not work. Are there any standalone NAS/RAID drives that will run Asset without needing an external PC at all? If so, could a list be made available? Might this feature be something Illustrate is looking into?

Otherwise as I understand it, someone will need to build a dedicated Windows Server to run Asset. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your help and for designing software that does a better job at ripping and handling data than any others that I have yet come across.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Editing Advanced Search data fields

I do not think it is possible to turn those decade lists off.

These are ready built NASes:

Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Alastor
      • Jul 2013

Spoon,

Thanks for your help on this item. I ended up ordering an HFX PowerNAS from EndPCNoise for my client and will be installing it soon.

A hurdle I am encountering is finding a appropriate playback device. The client is an internationally known conductor, and thus has a demanding ear. All the files are in FLAC, and have custom classical tagging which I have edited with dbPoweramp, and plan to use Asset and the HFX to store/index.

As for playback, I have had an issue finding a server which will both access the custom data with Asset thru Upnp and also (this is the kicker) be able to FAST FORWARD within the tracks. This is key, because some of the music I ripped for him is in hour long tracks, and he wants to be able to access specific passages.

I tried the Cambridge StreamMagic 6 and it worked beautifully with Asset, but due to network restrictions, would not FF over Upnp. I have also checked into servers from NAD, Olive, Fusion Research, Bluesound, Voco, Sonos, URC, and he had also previously owned a McIntosh (engineered by Escient). None of the engineers or reps I spoke with said that their product would support my combination of needs.

I know you recommend the Naim, but though I am familiar with the brand, and know their servers are considered top-notch, if they won't fast forward over Upnp they are still useless to me.

The other thing is, I know the JRiver software is well spoken of, but I also have no experience with it. Can it be used to control the music from PowerNAS to stream directly into a DAC and preamp? If a dedicated server is not necessary, then I would just as soon skip it. He has a terrific Wadia DAC the HFX has Optical out.

Once again, thanks for the great suite of software, and for all of the support of it!

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Speak to Naim or Linn.

These devices are controlled from a Control Point, on something like an ipad, you can set the position in the track through the control point.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>