title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD Pre-Emphasis De-Emphasis DSP Request (Please Just Throw Us A Bone)

Smile CD Pre-Emphasis De-Emphasis DSP Request (Please Just Throw Us A Bone)

Over the years, I have seen many requests for some sort of DSP feature to deal with the earlier CD's and also classical CD's that have the pre-emphasis. So far, I don't believe DBPA has offered any way to deal with these CD either before or after the rip.

Would it be possible to at least get the following EQ Curve added as a separate DSP effect and name it "De-Emphasis"?

Freq. De-Emphasis (CD/DAT)
    510 Hz -0.1 dB
    726 Hz -0.2 dB
    896 Hz -0.3 dB
    1042 Hz -0.4 dB
    1173 Hz -0.5 dB
    1294 Hz -0.6 dB
    1408 Hz -0.7 dB
    1516 Hz -0.8 dB
    1620 Hz -0.9 dB
    1720 Hz -1.0 dB
    2188 Hz -1.5 dB
    2629 Hz -2.0 dB
    3064 Hz -2.5 dB
    3506 Hz -3.0 dB
    3965 Hz -3.5 dB
    4449 Hz -4.0 dB
    4968 Hz -4.5 dB
    5534 Hz -5.0 dB
    6159 Hz -5.5 dB
    6861 Hz -6.0 dB
    7664 Hz -6.5 dB
    8605 Hz -7.0 dB
    9739 Hz -7.5 dB
    11157 Hz -8.0 dB
    13029 Hz -8.5 dB
    15708 Hz -9.0 dB
    20128 Hz -9.5 dB
    21427 Hz -9.6 dB
    30195 Hz -10.0 dB
    96000 Hz -10.4 dB

The formula is copied from this posting:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...rrectly.88541/

The formula may or may not be perfect but it seems to work well with the pre-emphasized CD's and is close enough to solve the issues with the high end sizzle on these CD's.
    You don't have to guarantee it to be perfect but it would at least allow us to use the DMC converter to adjust the EQ on these ripped files without having to go to another program such as Audacity, SoX, etc to accomplish this.

I love DBPA because it allows me to work with my WAV files, including some tagging, better than any other software that I have encountered. I just wish we could get this one item added just as a simple EQ adjustment type of DSP. In today's world of overly compressed remasters, many of us still seek out the early mastering version of CD's but then have to try to deal with the pre-emphasis issue.

It would be great to have a way to deal with these in DBPA! I love DBPA and don't want to have to resort to a different program!

Thanks!

Administrator

Re: CD Pre-Emphasis De-Emphasis DSP Request (Please Just Throw Us A Bone)

Will take a look for R15

Thanks, Spoon!

dBpoweramp Guru

I would certainly not want any EQ applied that is not correct. Either you get it right, or you don't do that at all. Altering audio with the wrong EQ is worse than not offering the option.

Myself, by the way, I use the foobar2000 music player, and apply de-emphasis EQ on-the-fly. That is, I don't do anything about the audio in the files, just tag them, and the fb2k component does the rest.

(BTW, why are you using WAV?)

The beauty of having the option to apply a preset "de-emph" EQ is just that....it's optional for those who need/want to use it to de-emphasize their music files but won't affect anyone if they choose not to use it. It's a win-win for a subject that has generated multiple requests over the years.

Currently, I rip to hard drive with DBPA, then have to use a separate program (WaveEmph) to de-emphasize the files. It would be great to have a de-emph option in DBPA, even if it's only as a preset EQ.

(As far as using WAV, I made the decision before ripping any music that I wanted it stored in a totally uncompressed format. I don't use any form of compression whether it be lossless or otherwise. Storage capacity is not an issue these days and DBPA's tagging capabilities allows me to have WAV files with decent tagging.)

DBPA's tagging capabilities with WAV files is an AWESOME feature!!! It's why I made the decision to purchase DBPA.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DBPA ROCKS! View Post
    I made the decision before ripping any music that I wanted it stored in a totally uncompressed format.
    Well that just moves the question one step: why on earth insist on that nonsensical constraint. Anyway, dBpoweramp can let you store uncompressed FLAC (by way of the verbatim blocks I guess), and then in the very least you get a checksummed format that can verify that your files are not corrupted.

As for a de-emph DSP: well by all means, but do not just implement a dirty approximation. Either do it right or not at all.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Porcus View Post
    Well that just moves the question one step: why on earth insist on that nonsensical constraint. Anyway, dBpoweramp can let you store uncompressed FLAC (by way of the verbatim blocks I guess), and then in the very least you get a checksummed format that can verify that your files are not corrupted.
    Off topic I suppose, but it always amazes me that WAV advocates completely miss the advantage of FLAC files that allows one to always easily check that the files have not been corrupted by use of the self-contained checksum data within the FLAC file. Perhaps that is correlated with their misunderstanding of how lossless works (thus their aversion to FLAC in general). I suppose it is like a religion, dunno....

The reason I asked Spoon for a limited approach to the Pre-emphasis issue is that he had already indicated in past posts that he was not interested in pursuing a full fledged fix for the pre-emphasis issue.

With that in mind, I was hopeful that by presenting an OPTIONAL solution to the issue that would require minimal work on Spoon's part, it would possiby help resolve this issue to a large degree without requiring a lot of time on Spoon's part (hence the post title of "Please Just Throw Us A Bone").

Those of us that have a lot of earlier CD's and continue to pursue purchasing more early mastering CD's to avoid today's compression and brickwall issues would be very grateful to Spoon for at least supplying this option to us so that we do not have to look to additional software outside of DPBA to deal with our pre-emphasis tracks. If some don't want to use the De-emphasis EQ, then this solution won't affect them in anyway.

(As for formatting, I never understand why compression proponents feel the need to try convert others to their formats. I have no interest in having this thread divert to that discussion. I have plenty of storage space and am very happy with DBPA's wav capabilities. I certainly have my reasons for using WAV and I have no intention of changing.)

dBpoweramp Guru

As I said, it was off topic. And I have no interest in changing how you do things and did not suggest that you change your method. I have just found in the past that many users of WAV files had no idea that WAV files do NOT contain the ability to self-check for corruption with internal CRCs (as a FLAC can do). And when informed, many reconsidered their approach. But this has nothing to do with compression or no compression or storage space (dbpa will create an UNCOMPRESSED FLAC file). But to be clear, I'm not suggesting you change the way you do anything. I'm just providing info that other users of the forum *might* find useful. But I didn't mean to hijack the thread as this is not about file format. I apologize for that.