title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD Ripping Slow, and then Fast...?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sjc
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2012

Re: CD Ripping Slow, and then Fast...?

David, as I've mentioned in a previous post in this thread I've ripped thousands of CD's and have had reliable performance from the LG 24X SATA Super-Multi DVD drives (GH24NS95B) and Pioneer 15X Blu Ray drives (BDR-208BDK). Spoon would have to confirm the following statement and why it is the case, and I don't know what everyone's expectations are when ripping or if they are expecting the rip to start out at like x40+ and maintain that speed throughout the rip but, my experience has been that the ripping speeds generally do start out slower (x8 or x13 or whatever) and then ramp up as the rip proceeds (generally to x30+). I don't necessarily think this is a problem with the software. I have experienced a couple of times where a CD rips at a constant very slow speed like x3 for the entire CD but that resulted in an accurate rip. There are so many variables to consider such as the drive hardware/system compatibility issues like you may be experiencing, condition of the CD's, and as I mentioned before, some CD's just rip slower for some reason. But if you get a new drive that works better with your system and you can achieve constant rip speeds in the high twenties mid thirties I'd say that is a normal.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

CD drives control their own speed, when you insert a CD the drive reads the last track and can decide the maximum speed for the whole disc.

There is a natural speed-up of data when reading CDs as although the CD spins at the same speed, the outside of the disc has more data than the inside of the disc (2 to 3x as much).
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• sjc
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jan 2012

Spoon, thank you for the clarification. If I could ask one other question regarding my comment about the rare cases when certain CD's rip at a constant very slow speed, I'm just curious to know, do you think this has to do with the drive possibly taking more time with a difficult to read CD (CD appears to be pristine) or could it be because of the way certain CD's are actually manufactured, etc?

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Depends on drive, the better drives adjust speed based on that section of the CD, not the whole CD.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• sjc
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jan 2012

Got it, that would explain the slight "on the fly" speed variations I sometimes see. The super slow ripping for an entire CD rarely ever happens. Thanks for the info.

Comment

• 2Bdecided
              • Dec 2013

I've noticed something that might help diagnose it:

When the drive is ripping at 2.4x, I can't play videos on the PC - not even SD ones - they play more like a slide show!
              Once the drive speeds up to 20-30x (and it's not gradual - it just suddenly decides to), videos will play fine - even HD ones.

So while the reported CPU usage is very low, it's clearly grabbing/hogging some significant resource on the PC when going slow.

Cheers,
              David.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

The drive will have switched to PIO mode from DMA, which is taking up the resources you mention.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• 2Bdecided
                  • Dec 2013

I should have checked before, but I found today that EAC doesn't have this problem. It gets up to ~20x by the end of the second track in burst mode.

Is there some setting I can change in dBpa? I've tried burst, secure, and (for the heck of it) defective by design. All 2.4x.

Cheers,
                  David.

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

You would have to check all things are equal, ie EAC and dbp rip to the same format, to the same location, with the same settings (both using c2, etc).
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• 2Bdecided
                      • Dec 2013

You are a genius Spoon! (obviously ). EAC had C2 on, dBpa had C2 off. Setting C2 to on in dBpa (detected as supported on my drive) made dBpa rip as quickly as EAC. Utterly bizarre that this speeds ripping up so dramatically, but thank you!

Cheers,
                      David.

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

It is bizzare, because normally the opposite applies for drives which are miss behaving (c2 on = slow ripping). On a normal drive c2 on or off should never make a difference to the ripping speed.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• quietman
                          • Aug 2015

I have Pioneer DVD-RW_DVR-220RS with same problem which is how I found this thread. Sounds like there's no fix, I'm glad I found this thread so that now I know.

Comment

• anthem
                            • Dec 2015

I’ve found a simple solution to this problem which I also experience using a Pioneer DVR-220 SCSI CDRom Device on W7. Simply start play back of the CD in dBpoweramp before starting the rip. Only a few seconds playback period is required, and I use the time to check metadata. Then hit the Rip button (or Stop then Rip) and the rip speed cranks up pretty quickly.

Comment

• Simon TF
                              • May 2015

Can I join this thread? Slightly different problem.

I am unable to rip CD's at thE moment on my Mac. I have tried to download Version 15.3 but the only option it gave me was a trail period. TEH new CD that I put in showed all teh correct Metadata but then went trough all teh tracks saying error.

Simon

Comment

• Spoon
                                Administrator
                                • Apr 2002

There will be an error page showing, detailing the error, click 'copy to clipboard', then paste the error messages to a reply here please.
                                Spoon
                                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>