title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: ".flac" becomes "DMC convert"

Post ".flac" becomes "DMC convert"

I have been using DBPoweramp CD Ripper (latest release) to rip my CD's to flac files (standard settings + Replay Gain) for archiving. I have done this on my Windows 7 32 bit laptop and saved the files on to a portable hard drive where they are listed with the ".flac" file extension. When I copied to their final resting place on my old Windows XP Home Edition desktop pc, which I use for storage and as a server, they show up with the file extension of "DMC convert". Is there ans explanation and hopefully a solution please? Any help gratefully received.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: ".flac" becomes "DMC convert"

if you copy one of these files back to your win7 machine, does it retain this extension or does it change back to flac. and even if it changes this extension, what happens if you manually rename file to *.flac. Will it play?

Administrator

It will be because FLAC is not associated with anything on the system, the only association is dBpoweramp so it shows that. The files will still have a .flac extension (there is an option in explorer >> tools >> folder options >> View >> hide extensions for known types, uncheck this).

Garym - Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think Spoon's reply below has hit the bullseye.
    Cheers,
    Stanno.

Spoon - Thank you. I've tried your suggestion and of course you are correct.
    Cheers,
    Stanno