title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDCD for Dummies? How to check files where DSP for it was used?

Re: HDCD for Dummies? How to check files where DSP for it was used?

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Another option (which is in the long thread about options here). If your DAC and player handle HDCD themselves, then you don't need to use the HDCD DSP option when ripping. You could use foobar2000 player, which has plugin components that will recognize and play HDCD files directly.

If you choose to use the HDCD DSP when ripping, I'd probably rip twice (once with HDCD DSP and once without), because, as noted in the long thread, ripping with the HDCD DSP does not produce bit perfect copies of the CDs. Obviously, the need to do this depends on how obsessive you are about this. I have a lot of HDCD CDs (grateful dead and a few other artists). My main setup doesn't deal with HDCD and I don't rip to FLAC with the HDCD DSP. So I'm not taking advantage of the HDCD aspect.** I've played a few of these CDs at a friend's house side-by-side on a good system with one player that handles HDCD and another than doesn't (all else the same). I heard no difference at all. Of course this was not a double blind test.

**However, note that the FLAC rips do contain the full HDCD information as was on the CD and if I ever in the future played these on an HDCD capable player/DAC, the HDCD info would be utilized.
    Thank You! I wish I knew this sooner!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by seventurns9 View Post
    Thank You! I wish I knew this sooner!
    I'm no HDCD expert, but the above is my interpretation of reading the long detailed testing thread mentioned above about exactly what is happening with HDCD dsp, ripping, etc. Here's the foobar stuff I mentioned:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=79427
    http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_hdcd

or just google "foobar2000 HDCD"

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Another option (which is in the long thread about options here). If your DAC and player handle HDCD themselves, then you don't need to use the HDCD DSP option when ripping. You could use foobar2000 player, which has plugin components that will recognize and play HDCD files directly.

If you choose to use the HDCD DSP when ripping, I'd probably rip twice (once with HDCD DSP and once without), because, as noted in the long thread, ripping with the HDCD DSP does not produce bit perfect copies of the CDs. Obviously, the need to do this depends on how obsessive you are about this. I have a lot of HDCD CDs (grateful dead and a few other artists). My main setup doesn't deal with HDCD and I don't rip to FLAC with the HDCD DSP. So I'm not taking advantage of the HDCD aspect.** I've played a few of these CDs at a friend's house side-by-side on a good system with one player that handles HDCD and another than doesn't (all else the same). I heard no difference at all. Of course this was not a double blind test.

**However, note that the FLAC rips do contain the full HDCD information as was on the CD and if I ever in the future played these on an HDCD capable player/DAC, the HDCD info would be utilized.
    Do I need to check the box next to HDCD in CD Ripper Options ? Meta Data & ID Tag options for any reason?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by seventurns9 View Post
    Do I need to check the box next to HDCD in CD Ripper Options ? Meta Data & ID Tag options for any reason?
    yes, tick this box. this is just a tag that notes that this is an HDCD disk (if it is). This is just metadata, not affecting the audio stream.