title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Control point for iOS?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spoller
    • Jun 2013

Control point for iOS?

All,

New to the forum. Just purchased asset upnp as it seems the be the only really WORKING (and well) upnp server around. So far I have being using media connect as control point, but I notice that playback stops if I shut down that app on my iPad. I would expect it sets up the playlist server based, so that asset upnp takes it from there and continues to stream without media connect running.

Is my understanding if the technology wrong, or is there better control point software for iOS out there? I did read about asset control but as far as I could see that's not available for iOS right?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Control point for iOS?

>but I notice that playback stops if I shut down that app on my iPad

That is the limitation of UPnP, you have to have to control point always running, there are no playlists unless the player supports something like the Linn extensions.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• spoller
      • Jun 2013

That's a shame. I read a bit about the topic here and there, and am not too enthusiastic about the Linn implementation, either. I used to own a Squeezebox where playlists were implemented server side. In my opinion that would be the better option as it moves complexity to server side. Certainly because many clients will be hardware based that make sense IMHO.

Enfin, I am now running media connect on iOS. if I leave my iPad on it works, but it takes for ever to switch to a new track once the iPad has gone to sleep. If I connect to Asset UPnP directly from my Denon receiver (ie. without using media connect as controll point) playing continues without interruption. It's just that its way less user friendly to get it done this way.

Any chance you see changes to the UPnP standard and / or Asset UPnP coming that will improve this? If there's anyone that has a recommendation to set up my control point in a different way (perhaps with separate server based software?) I keep myself warmly recommended.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It is the players not the server which have to change, I do not see any new standard taking place now.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by spoller
          That's a shame. I read a bit about the topic here and there, and am not too enthusiastic about the Linn implementation, either. I used to own a Squeezebox where playlists were implemented server side. In my opinion that would be the better option as it moves complexity to server side. Certainly because many clients will be hardware based that make sense IMHO.

Enfin, I am now running media connect on iOS. if I leave my iPad on it works, but it takes for ever to switch to a new track once the iPad has gone to sleep. If I connect to Asset UPnP directly from my Denon receiver (ie. without using media connect as controll point) playing continues without interruption. It's just that its way less user friendly to get it done this way.

Any chance you see changes to the UPnP standard and / or Asset UPnP coming that will improve this? If there's anyone that has a recommendation to set up my control point in a different way (perhaps with separate server based software?) I keep myself warmly recommended.
          You've discovered why the squeezebox approach is light years ahead of UPnP/DLNA. Too bad Logitech has discontinued the the line. But I hope my many squeezebox players last many more years.

Comment

• RLANE
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • May 2011

Originally posted by Spoon
            >but I notice that playback stops if I shut down that app on my iPad

That is the limitation of UPnP, you have to have to control point always running, there are no playlists unless the player supports something like the Linn extensions.
            The limitation is the iOS app.
            Which one are you using?
            I have two on my iPad - AirPlayer and MediaConnect. With AirPlayer, I can "close" it (press the middle button on the bottom of the iPAd) and it keep playing through the selections until the end. With MediaConnect, the music stops after a few minutes when I "close" the app. Bad new is AirPlayer does not allow the use of external renderers.

IMHO UPnP experience is vastly better with Android apps than with iOS apps. Particularly BubbleUPnP. It is just plain awesome, and the developer is continually improving the app. I hardly ever use any iOS devices (iPad or my wife's iPhone 5) for UPnP any more. BubbleUPnP simply blows the competition away!

Comment

Working...

]]>