title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2013

Administrator

Re: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2013

Power Supply Unit

i was thinking enclosure so drive such as pioneer dvr 215d wasnt sitting directly on surface(coffee table, desk) since it would be connected to a laptop
    Last edited by len bell; 08-24-2013 at 07:11 PM.

ok laptop, with the USB to IDE adaptor..the PIONEER dvr 215D..so dont i need this also..http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-25-3-5-USB...item2ea8d374c8

I was actually looking for a list of -less? :blush:- Accurate SATA DVD writers. This list of writers can't be found on any shop in my country...they date < 2006. I don't want the hassle from IDE to USB adapters.

Wait, how does this list mean anything?
    Everything on this list is essentially 90+% accurate.
    And we have no idea what condition the discs are in which all these people are using.
    Could it not be true that people who own drive X also own a lot of scratched up CDs therefor there rips are not that accurate and it's not the fault of the drive itself?
    If you are looking to buy a drive so you can have bit perfect rips then you need a drive that can overread lead in AND out and HTOA and etc. etc. etc.
    With the exception of a few odd drives by Lite-On and HT-DT-ST, you need to get an older Plextor drive, PX-760 or earlier.
    If you do not care about bit perfect rips and you just want to make sure the audio is perfect, then most all drives will work, just make sure you use good software like EAC or dBpoweramp and have the setting configured properly.

Administrator

It is assumed that scratched disc will be distributed evenly across all drives, that is why a minimum number of users is required per drive, with 100 users, a single user can only affect the result 1% (assuming every CD had scratches...)

So I had a look at my local computer retailer and they don't sell any of the drives that are listed as the most reliable. I expect that the reason is that none of the drives that they are currently selling have had enough use to appear on the list yet. There is a tradeoff between including newer drives and having reliable results, so is it possible to get hold of a list that doesn't cut off so aggressively?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by frankster View Post
    So I had a look at my local computer retailer and they don't sell any of the drives that are listed as the most reliable. I expect that the reason is that none of the drives that they are currently selling have had enough use to appear on the list yet. There is a tradeoff between including newer drives and having reliable results, so is it possible to get hold of a list that doesn't cut off so aggressively?
    the beauty of dbpa secure ripping and accuraterip database matching is that it really doesn't matter as long as your drive works. A bit perfect, accurateripped rip is as good as it gets. Obviously, if you have a drive that won't produce secure rips consistently that's an issue. But I've ripped 1000s of disks (secure, AR matched) with dbpa and none of the drives are in the top 50 list of accurate drives. In the olden days of ripping, this sort of thing mattered...with modern technology and AR, it really doesn't.

I respectfully disagree. Up until recently accuraterip has suited me well. However the reason I am looking into a new CD drive is because I was ripping a CD that was released within the last week and had no entry in the accuraterip database. EAC reported 100% accuracy and no errors, however when I listened to some of the tracks in vlc there were repeated sections where ripping had failed. I ripped the CD repeatedly to no avail, yet if I listened to the CD directly the sections in question sounded perfect (suggesting a non-faulty cd). Its certainly possible that there is a bug in EAC or even my playback software but this is almost irrelevant - accurate rip is of absolutely no use if you are one of the first few people to rip a CD. If you listen to new or less popular music, or subscribe to a record label you will get almost no benefit from accurate rip if you want to listen to rip the CD immediately.

dBpoweramp Guru

I respectfully disagree. Up until recently accuraterip has suited me well. However the reason I am looking into a new CD drive is because I was ripping a CD that was released within the last week and had no entry in the accuraterip database. EAC reported 100% accuracy and no errors, however when I listened to some of the tracks in vlc there were repeated sections where ripping had failed. I ripped the CD repeatedly to no avail, yet if I listened to the CD directly the sections in question sounded perfect (suggesting a non-faulty cd). Its certainly possible that there is a bug in EAC or even my playback software but this is almost irrelevant - accurate rip is of absolutely no use if you are one of the first few people to rip a CD. If you listen to new or less popular music, or subscribe to a record label you will get almost no benefit from accurate rip if you want to listen to rip the CD immediately.
    you raise a good point. I often rip newly purchased CDs that have no AR info in database. I'm happy to get a dbpa report of SECURE initially. Then a bit later I use PerfectTunes (or one can use CueTools or the Verify Integrity/AR component in foobar2000) to do an AR comparison (after more disks have made it into the database). That's the real beauty of the (relatively) new PerfectTunes program. And if there is never an AR match (because of an obscure CD), then ripping on one of the top rated drives doesn't really confirm anything. Even on the top rated accurate drive, there can still be errors. At that point about the best one can do is rip the CD on two different drives and compare the CRCs.

But, yes, I do agree with your points.

dBpoweramp Guru

And do make sure you update VLC. I've seen several posts on a few forums about issues that turned out to be VLC related (I use it myself for video, but find other players better for audio for my own use, in particular foobar2000). In some cases, updating VLC solved some of the reported audio issues.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    And do make sure you update VLC. I've seen several posts on a few forums about issues that turned out to be VLC related (I use it myself for video, but find other players better for audio for my own use, in particular foobar2000). In some cases, updating VLC solved some of the reported audio issues.
    Ha - I actually updated VLC yesterday. Just listened to one of the problem tracks again and it seems to be solved - I'll have listen to the entire cd tomorrow to be sure. Thanks for making the connection - maybe I don't need to buy a new drive just yet!

dBpoweramp Guru

Ha - I actually updated VLC yesterday. Just listened to one of the problem tracks again and it seems to be solved - I'll have listen to the entire cd tomorrow to be sure. Thanks for making the connection - maybe I don't need to buy a new drive just yet!
    excellent. use the savings to buy more CDs! :smile2:

Are there no dedicated external drives that are any any good? I'm looking for a good drive to use with my new iMac (which of course no longer come with an internal drive).

Administrator

With an external drive, you choices are limited to a handful of current models.