title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Audio Properties Tab, Audio Quality goes from "High" to "Medium" after normalization.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kadrian
    • May 2013

Audio Properties Tab, Audio Quality goes from "High" to "Medium" after normalization.

Hi,

I am new to dbpoweramp so I'm learning about it still.

I was looking at the Audio Properties Tab for some files that I normalized using Sound Forge 10.0, comparing the specs shown for the original and normalized ones. I noticed that the normalized files, even though they were saved with the exact same settings as the original files, were shown as only "Medium" quality while the originals are rated as "High" quality. I'm wondering, how is this "quality" level determined and why are the normalized files not as good?

Both sets are stereo, 44.1KHZ, 16 bit, 192kbps (constant). Where I choose the settings on Sound Forge there is a slider that goes from "fastest encoding" to "best quality" and it was on "best quality". I haven't been able to find much info on it, though I've seen such settings before. What does it actually do as far as encoding quality?

Thanks!
  • dbfan
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jan 2011

Re: Audio Properties Tab, Audio Quality goes from "High" to "Medium" after normalizat

Audio quality is just a guess, if the previous encoder was lame the quality is boosted a bit.

Comment

• Kadrian
      • May 2013

Re: Audio Properties Tab, Audio Quality goes from "High" to "Medium" after normalizat

Previous encoder was Lame 3.97. I don't know what Sound Forge uses. The tab says "FHG (Guess)". So the "Audio quality" is just an estimate based on available information and not an actual diagnoses of the MP3 file?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Correct
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Kadrian
          • May 2013

Okay, thanks. I'll just see what my ears tell me.

Comment

Working...

]]>