title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Meta Tags & ID-tags

Meta Tags & ID-tags

I'm curious how Meta Tags / ID-Tags work.

1. What exactly is the difference between the two?

2. If you enable all ID-Tags and rip a track, then disable all ID-Tags and rip the same track, the file size is the same. Is the amount of space for the tags fixed thus even if you aren't writing them all it uses the same amount of space or what's going on there?

3. When you hover over a flac in Explorer the popup seems to expand to a certain size and does not expand any more,thus not showing all the tag information (based on the fact that if all tags are on I don't see "dBpoweramp" at the bottom as when minimal tags are on). Question is, how can you view all the info if the popup isn't expanding to show it?

Thanks

Administrator

Re: Meta Tags & ID-tags

1 They are the same
    2 Formats have built in tagging padding, even if no tags are written
    3 Windows controls the popup, it limits the maximum length, it is not possible to increase this.

Thanks spoon.

Is there anywhere to see what information each tag displays (or a description of such) or all the options in "Meta Data & ID Tag Options"? I realize that most tags are self explanatory, but some of them are a bit cryptic to the rookies among us (for example Pre-Emphasis).

Administrator

There is not a list.

Pre-emphasis is a flag a small number of CDs (50?) have to indicate the CD requires processing.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by crucifyd View Post
    Thanks spoon.

Is there anywhere to see what information each tag displays (or a description of such) or all the options in "Meta Data & ID Tag Options"? I realize that most tags are self explanatory, but some of them are a bit cryptic to the rookies among us (for example Pre-Emphasis).
    There are a number of different tagging protocols, and they differ in their tag sets and, sometimes, the usage of certain tags. So there's no one standard that covers all your bases, nor one standard reference that defines all tags.

As you said, most of them are self-explanatory. More specifically, the "important" ones, i.e., the ones used by playback devices for navigational and display purposes, are all pretty straightforward. (These may include some "sort" tags, like ALBUMSORT, ARTISTSORT, etc....but whether & how you use them depends largely on how your particular playback device(s) use them.) The others are mostly just informational and therefore optional....whether one wants to include metadata about IRSC, PUBLISHER, COPYRIGHT, etc. is all a matter of personal choice.