title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notice of Termination of Service

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Notice of Termination of Service

Sadly we have to give notice of termination of AudioSAFE, this will happen in or shorly after August 2013.

The concept was sound, sadly uptake in beta was not enough.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Notice of Termination of Service

Spoon,
    I am very sorry to hear this. I can't imagine the amount of work you have put into getting it started up. We have no idea what the financials are behind it, but it can't be cheap either.

Is this a done deal? Financial backing gone?
    How does this impact all of the other services that where built around AudioSafe - PerfectTunes, Songly(?), AR3?

Administrator

PerfectTunes is being filled with commercial metadata
    AR3 - the rate AudioSafe was filling it would be 10 years until it had the data required...

Songly - this is full speed ahead, our budgets are tight, Audiosafe equipement will go to run songly (as songly is built on audiosafe technology).

dBpoweramp Guru

You have a great install base and I think you are missing out on leveraging that. Most people want more integration of all of the tools that you have (like iTunes). One tool to rip your CDs, manage your library, play it, upload to ipod/android, stream from your comuter to your phone (subsonic), and BACK IT UP TO AUDIOSAFE, and buy music from SONGLY. Give people one tool to do all of these things!

I was really hoping that AudioSafe could have added another (better?) meta-data source, especially for album art. GD3 does tend to have large art, but the quality is often lacking. I know I have been uploading my collection of ~8000 discs. I am currently redoing the album art, manually searching each album at albumartexchange and google. I'm currently on the "I"s and have been at it for 3-4 months.

I'm glad you will be able to use the IP and physical equipment for Songly.

I'm sorry to bring this up when I'm sure you are disappointed/frustrated with AudioSafe, but PLEASE add support for CTDB (both submission and repair) in dB since this won't be there in AR3. Chudov has indicated he would add support for tracks if that is what is keeping you out.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by EliC View Post
    You have a great install base and I think you are missing out on leveraging that. Most people want more integration of all of the tools that you have (like iTunes). One tool to rip your CDs, manage your library, play it, upload to ipod/android, stream from your comuter to your phone (subsonic), and BACK IT UP TO AUDIOSAFE, and buy music from SONGLY. Give people one tool to do all of these things!
    Well, as I said before, if you release everything as a suite, you will get the base you need.

I've always been interested in AudioSafe, but was always looking for the feature to allow me to stream my music back (even if it wasn't in FLAC, recompressed in MP3) ala Google Music. Here's hoping that's what you have in mind to make it more than a backup solution

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    sadly uptake in beta was not enough
    Of course it wasn't. I just heard of AudioSafe because I happened to see the circular safe image on dbPoweramp site (when I was looking for the converter software) and clicked it out of curiosity. There was no propaganda in any other place. No articles in technology news sites, no reviews in downloads sites, nothing. If you do a search on Google for "AudioSafe", you get the main site, this forum, the Hydrogen Audio forum, the Linn Forums (where this guy called spoon introduces the service) and lots and lots of unrelated results. There was no uptake in beta because no one knows AudioSafe.

For comparison, I want to mention Tresorit. It's a Dropbox like backup and sync program, but focused on secure-sharing of content by using encryption. They have launched the beta program recently, and two well-know news sites presented the program, and the readers where offered an upgrade from 5Gb to 50GB online storage if they registered an account on Tresorit till May 20th 2013.

Code:
    http://lifehacker.com/5994394/get-50gb-of-free-encrypted-online-storage-from-tresorit?tag=dealhacker

and

http://gigaom.com/2013/04/11/secure-cloud-storage-outfit-tresorit-posts-10k-hacker-bounty/
    These guys where extremely successful in making Tresorit well-known. I've registered to this program, and sent the news link to a few friends and familiars. I want to quote their lastest news:

Quote Originally Posted by Gyorgy Szilagyi
    Dear Users! Due to the excitingly high number of new users, we are scaling up our Windows Azure infrastructure as fast as possible.
    Code:
    https://support.tresorit.com/entries/23578932-Scaling-up-our-servers

Maybe AudioSafe should start advertising itself before giving up because "there was no uptake".

dBpoweramp Guru

How bad was the uptake?

http://forums.naimaudio.com/displayF...58529751488586
    October 18, 2011 8:34 PM

Audio de-duplicates very well (if you have the expertise)..., plus audiosafe is going to be the cornerstone of additional services, such as an automatic album art corrector, tag correction, AccurateRip v3. These 3 are very important to us, so even if AudioSafe was to bleed cash (I do not think it will with the expected 1 million users), it will still operate for the next 5-10 years, because it is important.

Currently 2% of the worlds audio is stored on audiosafe, which is quite impressive as it has only operated in beta for the last 2 months.

Administrator

Less than 300 users, the system was designed for 100,000 users....

Less than 300 users, the system was designed for 100,000 users....
    What about advertising? Like in my previous post?

Administrator

We were able to get a feel for how popular something would be in beta...

Sadly we have to give notice of termination of AudioSAFE
    That is sad news, Spoon.

From the outside looking in, with no visibility into your business, I have to agree with the others who've suggested that there would have been many more users if only the service had been more widely advertised or publicized. I mean, it's such a disruptive technology -- even Amazon Glacier charges more for storage, and MUCH more for usefully rapid retrieval -- and it fills a need that nearly everyone has. While iCloud/iTunes Match provides (imperfectly) some of the benefit of AudioSAFE for people with small, lossy collections or whose music came mostly from iTunes, it's worthless as a backup service for anyone who has a lossless collection or a large collection of songs not purchased from Apple, or for anyone who has significantly edited his files' tags.

Now that AudioSAFE's initial bugs have been worked out, I don't think it would be hard to convince a large audience to give it a try. The benefits -- limitless free storage, your files at your quality with your tags, and simple unattended background uploading -- easily outweigh the one complaint, which is the slow upload time. And even that wouldn't be a problem for people with huge collections, if you still offered hard-drive shipment as an option for 700GB+. And the upload times would decrease with usage, anyway.

Plus, for people who have no music backup now, anything would be better than nothing, even if it took months to get a complete copy to the AudioSAFE servers.

Your business is, of course, your business. But I wish there had been more of an effort to promote the service. I'm going to move to Glacier, I guess, but I won't be happy about it.

Hmmm. I received an email today telling me that my AudioSAFE account was about to be terminated because I hadn't logged in for 6 months.

TBH, I'd completely forgotten that I'd signed up because when I first looked at it I saw that I'd have to have my windows PC (which happens to be in the room I sleep in) on 24/7 for it to work as there was no client for my Linux server or my NAS. For this reason I put it off.

Perhaps if I'd had a nudge before now (i.e. any time in the last 6 months!) I may have used it.

I've got to agree with others on here. You need to advertise firstly. Also you need to engage with users who have shown an interest but may need a nudge (like me).

If you're keeping the servers to re-purpose, then why not keep some of the capacity for AudioSAFE and increase that proportion as the users increase, after some decent viral marketing?!

Quote Originally Posted by rickwookie View Post
    If you're keeping the servers to re-purpose, then why not keep some of the capacity for AudioSAFE and increase that proportion as the users increase, after some decent viral marketing?!
    That's like a more reasonable idea than just terminating the service. This service has great potential. But I'm starting to think it's not just because lack of marketing, but also suddenly lack of motivation from the responsible team. They have advertised just on dbpoweramp.com and are already giving up. And this point is strategically not being mentioned. Goddammit, just because I don't have "dBpoweramp Guru" written below my nickname doesn't mean my opinion doesn't matter.

Spoon, at least tell us what you will be doing with "more than 2% of world's audio" that many of us spend months uploading to your servers just to receive this notice.

Administrator

The servers will be wiped, we have no need for the audio.