title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Notice of Termination of Service

Administrator

Notice of Termination of Service

Sadly we have to give notice of termination of AudioSAFE, this will happen in or shorly after August 2013.

The concept was sound, sadly uptake in beta was not enough.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Notice of Termination of Service

Spoon,
    I am very sorry to hear this. I can't imagine the amount of work you have put into getting it started up. We have no idea what the financials are behind it, but it can't be cheap either.

Is this a done deal? Financial backing gone?
    How does this impact all of the other services that where built around AudioSafe - PerfectTunes, Songly(?), AR3?

Administrator

PerfectTunes is being filled with commercial metadata
    AR3 - the rate AudioSafe was filling it would be 10 years until it had the data required...

Songly - this is full speed ahead, our budgets are tight, Audiosafe equipement will go to run songly (as songly is built on audiosafe technology).

dBpoweramp Guru

You have a great install base and I think you are missing out on leveraging that. Most people want more integration of all of the tools that you have (like iTunes). One tool to rip your CDs, manage your library, play it, upload to ipod/android, stream from your comuter to your phone (subsonic), and BACK IT UP TO AUDIOSAFE, and buy music from SONGLY. Give people one tool to do all of these things!

I was really hoping that AudioSafe could have added another (better?) meta-data source, especially for album art. GD3 does tend to have large art, but the quality is often lacking. I know I have been uploading my collection of ~8000 discs. I am currently redoing the album art, manually searching each album at albumartexchange and google. I'm currently on the "I"s and have been at it for 3-4 months.

I'm glad you will be able to use the IP and physical equipment for Songly.

I'm sorry to bring this up when I'm sure you are disappointed/frustrated with AudioSafe, but PLEASE add support for CTDB (both submission and repair) in dB since this won't be there in AR3. Chudov has indicated he would add support for tracks if that is what is keeping you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    sadly uptake in beta was not enough
    Of course it wasn't. I just heard of AudioSafe because I happened to see the circular safe image on dbPoweramp site (when I was looking for the converter software) and clicked it out of curiosity. There was no propaganda in any other place. No articles in technology news sites, no reviews in downloads sites, nothing. If you do a search on Google for "AudioSafe", you get the main site, this forum, the Hydrogen Audio forum, the Linn Forums (where this guy called spoon introduces the service) and lots and lots of unrelated results. There was no uptake in beta because no one knows AudioSafe.

For comparison, I want to mention Tresorit. It's a Dropbox like backup and sync program, but focused on secure-sharing of content by using encryption. They have launched the beta program recently, and two well-know news sites presented the program, and the readers where offered an upgrade from 5Gb to 50GB online storage if they registered an account on Tresorit till May 20th 2013.

Code:
    http://lifehacker.com/5994394/get-50gb-of-free-encrypted-online-storage-from-tresorit?tag=dealhacker

and

http://gigaom.com/2013/04/11/secure-cloud-storage-outfit-tresorit-posts-10k-hacker-bounty/
    These guys where extremely successful in making Tresorit well-known. I've registered to this program, and sent the news link to a few friends and familiars. I want to quote their lastest news:

Quote Originally Posted by Gyorgy Szilagyi
    Dear Users! Due to the excitingly high number of new users, we are scaling up our Windows Azure infrastructure as fast as possible.
    Code:
    https://support.tresorit.com/entries/23578932-Scaling-up-our-servers

Maybe AudioSafe should start advertising itself before giving up because "there was no uptake".

dBpoweramp Guru

How bad was the uptake?

http://forums.naimaudio.com/displayF...58529751488586
    October 18, 2011 8:34 PM

Audio de-duplicates very well (if you have the expertise)..., plus audiosafe is going to be the cornerstone of additional services, such as an automatic album art corrector, tag correction, AccurateRip v3. These 3 are very important to us, so even if AudioSafe was to bleed cash (I do not think it will with the expected 1 million users), it will still operate for the next 5-10 years, because it is important.

Currently 2% of the worlds audio is stored on audiosafe, which is quite impressive as it has only operated in beta for the last 2 months.

Administrator

Less than 300 users, the system was designed for 100,000 users....

Less than 300 users, the system was designed for 100,000 users....
    What about advertising? Like in my previous post?

Administrator

We were able to get a feel for how popular something would be in beta...

dBpoweramp Guru

Ouch! That's an incredibly small install base.

Consider an integrated suite as above. That would help with songly as well.

We were able to get a feel for how popular something would be in beta...
    I think you totally ignored my comparison with Tresorit, that it's in beta stage as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tisogro View Post
    ... They (Tresorit) have launched the beta program recently...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyorgy Szilagyi (from Tresorit)
    ...Due to the excitingly high number of new users...
    I'm trying to say the problem is lack of advertisement. There's no use in a fully functional integrated suite as well if nobody knows the existence of AudioSafe. How do you expect to magically have something near one hundred thousand users if, excluding www.audiosafe.com, the only sites that mention AudioSafe are the support forums?
    I'm surprised AudioSafe got 300 users at all with this.

Administrator

It was advertised on dBpoweramps home page, which has a very high level of unique users per day. Uptake was low (in comparison to say PerfectTUNES which was advertised along side).

The fact remained we had $100K of hardware + hosting which was not going to be used, this will be re-purposed so it can be used as it should.

So, the only place AudioSafe was advertised (forums not counting) was dBpoweramp home page. Audiosafe had a small box at the bottom right column, but wasn't listed in the "Products" section. The link in this box pointed to a thread in this forum, which contains the download links. Even audiosafe.com points to this thread. In comparison, PerfectTUNES had a larger box at the top right column, and clicking the link in this box forward to a page with a large description of the program, with various images explaining every function, before heading to the forum. Today PerfectTUNES have a very large box at the main page, that now is the same as the "Products" section, and AudioSafe box is completely vanished.

The AudioSafe thread did not explain the program functioning. Just audiosafe.com contains about 3 paragraphs with the programs highlights. User should explore the forum to know more about it. Finally, error logs in the AudioSafe client are in a generalized form and not very informative, user should guess what is wrong or create an account in this forum and open a new thread. Those may have discouraged some users.

PerfectTUNES, by having a bit more exposure on dbPoweramp site, reached about 29200 views in the thread containing the beta download links, in comparison with AudioSafe thread with about 21530 views, a 7670 views difference. But even if every view was a unique visitor that downloaded the program and created an account, system would still be at about 1/4 capacity.

Looks like advertising only on dbPoweramp home page and only having the download links in a forum thread isn't enough to reach the one hundred thousand users goal.

(English isn't my mother language, please ignore any poor concordance and grammatical errors.)
    Last edited by Tisogro; 04-17-2013 at 12:27 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Sorry to hear this, Spoon - I thought it was a great product and, for me, far more important than PerfectTUNES.

Ah well, such is business.

Mick

dBpoweramp Guru

The fact remained we had $100K of hardware + hosting which was not going to be used, this will be re-purposed so it can be used as it should.
    So why not scale down the hardware/hosting?

IMHO, AudioSafe is (b)leading edge technology, that the masses will eventually demand when their awareness and upload speeds increase.