title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The best format

Re: The best format

I read that link, basically it levels the volume across a collection of songs.
    So do I really need it? Personal if the volume varies it doesn't bother me. It is not going to hurt anything to just not use it right?
    I made sure my volume was the same when I was doing my comparison. I don't believe that is a issue anymore since it all sounds the way it is supposed to now that I removed the replaygain, I am happy with it now. The FLAC sounds the way it is supposed to.

I will have to check the bitrate on the m4a I created, it is whatever default is I didn't change it.
    I will have to try MP3 lame on V2 and see how that sounds. What would the next higher quality one be? I am not really concerned about my MP3s taking up a little bit more room I would rather have the higher quality sound.
    Are there any other settings in MP3 to change besides the bitrate?

I don't want to use different types of lossy, I was concerned if m4a would sound better than MP3 or vise versa. If it doesn't matter I will just make them all MP3.
    That is exactly what I am going to do, rip all my CDs to computer using FLAC and leave them like that and then convert what I need to MP3 for portable use.

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Flrun View Post
    I read that link, basically it levels the volume across a collection of songs.
    So do I really need it? Personal if the volume varies it doesn't bother me. It is not going to hurt anything to just not use it right?
    I made sure my volume was the same when I was doing my comparison. I don't believe that is a issue anymore since it all sounds the way it is supposed to now that I removed the replaygain, I am happy with it now. The FLAC sounds the way it is supposed to.

I will have to check the bitrate on the m4a I created, it is whatever default is I didn't change it.
    I will have to try MP3 lame on V2 and see how that sounds. What would the next higher quality one be? I am not really concerned about my MP3s taking up a little bit more room I would rather have the higher quality sound.
    Are there any other settings in MP3 to change besides the bitrate?

I don't want to use different types of lossy, I was concerned if m4a would sound better than MP3 or vise versa. If it doesn't matter I will just make them all MP3.
    That is exactly what I am going to do, rip all my CDs to computer using FLAC and leave them like that and then convert what I need to MP3 for portable use.

Thanks.
    No ReplayGain tags are not needed at all. No harm not to include them. If you want your mp3 files to be very best quality, I'd make them -V0 in the slider settings. Leave everything else as default. This should produce mp3 files that are virtually impossible to distinguish from the lossless FLAC files.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    No ReplayGain tags are not needed at all. No harm not to include them. If you want your mp3 files to be very best quality, I'd make them -V0 in the slider settings. Leave everything else as default. This should produce mp3 files that are virtually impossible to distinguish from the lossless FLAC files.
    So here is what I did. Converted from FLAC a MP3 and m4a.
    The MP3 I set to -V0 ( 240kbps ) Thought it would be larger only a little over 6Mb. m4a on the other hand is 18.5Mb

I then put the FLAC, MP3, and m4a into Foobar and started comparing them all at the same volume.
    I really can't tell a difference between all three. Maybe the FLAC is a little better but it is hard to tell. Didn't think the m4a bitrate was that high:
    FLAC 807 kbps
    m4a 818 kbps
    mp3 265 kbps

Even with mp3 being that much lower I can't tell the difference between the other two.

dBpoweramp Guru

So here is what I did. Converted from FLAC a MP3 and m4a.
    The MP3 I set to -V0 ( 240kbps ) Thought it would be larger only a little over 6Mb. m4a on the other hand is 18.5Mb

I then put the FLAC, MP3, and m4a into Foobar and started comparing them all at the same volume.
    I really can't tell a difference between all three. Maybe the FLAC is a little better but it is hard to tell. Didn't think the m4a bitrate was that high:
    FLAC 807 kbps
    m4a 818 kbps
    mp3 265 kbps

Even with mp3 being that much lower I can't tell the difference between the other two.
    You must have accidentally created an apple lossless file in the m4a container. an m4a lossy file would be about the size of the mp3. With most normal music, most people (and this is well tested) can not distinguish between a lossless version (FLAC or Apple lossless) and a high bitrate lossy file (for sure the mp3 at V0 should be transparent...i.e., sound as good as a lossless file). But it is still a good idea to rip initially to a lossless (FLAC) archive.

A couple of questions that have popped up as I have started ripping with dB.
    Do you recommend lowering the burn speed when you rip? I have always lowered the burn speed when burning data or music to cd to 4 or 8x to reduce the chance of errors. It takes longer but I am not in a hurry.

And when you convert to MP3 ( lame ) on the Encoding you have the option of Normal or Slow ( High quality )
    Would Slow make a difference?

dBpoweramp Guru

A couple of questions that have popped up as I have started ripping with dB.
    Do you recommend lowering the burn speed when you rip? I have always lowered the burn speed when burning data or music to cd to 4 or 8x to reduce the chance of errors. It takes longer but I am not in a hurry.

And when you convert to MP3 ( lame ) on the Encoding you have the option of Normal or Slow ( High quality )
    Would Slow make a difference?
    no, i wouldn't lower the ripping speed. This has been shown to actually cause problems. Just leave it at default. And keep in mind that you're not BURNING a CD, you're ripping a CD. I use Slow (high quality) but I recall reading that that option may not even matter any more with latest versions of LAME encoder.

Garym - Crap your right. Then which one do I use? The only other option for m4a is m4a Nero but it is not high lighted. ( Installed )
    Yea I am definitely ripping everything to FLAC and leaving it like that except what I need for portable players.

dBpoweramp Guru

For me the decision is easy. Flac for archive and home use. Mp3 -V2 for portable use. And you can install m4a Nero. Get it from codec central at top of this page. Or just use mp3. I find it easier and more universal.
    Last edited by garym; 03-29-2013 at 07:21 PM.

I meant which m4a lossy? The only m4a available when I go to convert is the Apple lossless.

dBpoweramp Guru

I meant which m4a lossy? The only m4a available when I go to convert is the Apple lossless.
    You want the m4a Nero AAC. It is here

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-m4a.htm

Follow all the extra steps.

dBpoweramp Guru

Mal-apropos ... this is one reason for me not to use ALAC. (Nor to encapsulate FLAC in an Ogg container, for that matter, but that's very rare by now.)

As to software for computer playback of FLAC ... more or less anything! It is possible to get WMP to do it as well (decoders available from xiph.org), but WMP overwrites tags in your mp3s as default, so I do my very best not to let my files be touched by any PC with WMP on it. (Microsoft insists that this corruption is a "feature" ... it can be turned off somewhere ...)

Having had Windows Media Player and Libraries play havoc with my music files (Flac&MP3) running under Windows 7 I took garym's advice and removed WMP access to internet files completely. Then I removed my music files from Windows 7 Libraries to maintain control. Then I cleared the WMP data base out completely and temporarily turned it off. Currently WMP does not access my music files

Suggest you refer to [url]www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/windows-7/how-to-rebuild-your-windows-media-player-12-library for full instructions.
    Last edited by GarethA; 04-07-2013 at 10:36 AM.

May I chip in here with a related question?
    What are the merits of VBR ABR CBR?

I also have a more distantly related question. Im looking for a way, when converting FLAC > mp3 for iTunes import to tag the mp3 files, in a way that an iTunes smart playlist can reliably identify, that the track has been so converted. This is in order to 'untick' the tracks before scanning by Squeezebox Server. Im toying with the idea of VBR/CBR bit rate combination to do this. (I have to check my existing library, purchases etc to make sure its foolproof.) dbconverter does creat the Source tag, but seems iTunes doesnt recognise it grrr.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RMJFlack View Post
    May I chip in here with a related question?
    What are the merits of VBR ABR CBR?

I also have a more distantly related question. Im looking for a way, when converting FLAC > mp3 for iTunes import to tag the mp3 files, in a way that an iTunes smart playlist can reliably identify, that the track has been so converted. This is in order to 'untick' the tracks before scanning by Squeezebox Server. Im toying with the idea of VBR/CBR bit rate combination to do this. (I have to check my existing library, purchases etc to make sure its foolproof.) dbconverter does creat the Source tag, but seems iTunes doesnt recognise it grrr.
    lots of good info on this at hydrogenaudio.org. Search there. Here's one thread.
    http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=91166

CBR seems a waste. VBR tries to optimize (using more bits when needed and less when not needed). Not that familiar with ABR.

A tag read by both itunes and dbpa is CONTENTGROUPING (called grouping in itunes). Not sure if that will help you achieve what you're trying to achieve with smart playlists.

Hi garym. Excuse me, that's true flurn said about when ripping flac with replaygain tags the sound is "flat or subdued"???
    He said "I installed dbpoweramp and configured all the settings they give you on their website".
    I think he added DSP effect HDCD. I read that this DSP reduce the volume.