title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My program is saying it can't convert to FLAC, WHY?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: My program is saying it can't convert to FLAC, WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Take one wav file, convert to Test Conversion. Report what happens.
    This is a good idea. If this works fast, then it confirms some sort of computer disk/file issue. I can't see anything odd happening in the video, but it surely shouldn't take this long. So something is slowing down/blocking the writing I suspect. And I can't tell from the video where the file locations are. And I'm sorry to keep asking this, but it is critical that we know that both the source file (wav) and the FLAC file (target) are all on the harddrive on your computer. Do you have any networked drives referenced in your file explorer that you could be accidentally trying to write to. If that is not it, then maybe you have some sort of automatic virus scanning program turned on and it is trying to check the new FLAC files as you create them and this is slowing things down. Try turning off temporarily any virus scanning.

What DSPs, if any, are you using when converting from WAV to FLAC? Also,

I've defrag. my HD last night. I tried this morning and look at this. 14 hours? to convert?

Is anyone having problems with Windows 8 and its APP for dBPoweramp?

dBpoweramp Guru

I don't use win8 (heck I just moved to Win7 about a year ago--I'm not a fan of adopting new operating systems until a year or two after one is released). Is there a way to install dbpa on a win8 system as a regular program vs an app. Sorry, I don't really know anything about win8 and apps. Maybe apps and programs are identical. don't know.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by almc2242 View Post
    In other words the conversion that dbPweramp does, is hog wash.

Well since it calls for porcine cleaning:

It is possible to do lots of unreasonable conversions in digital audio. The question is rather, should a piece of software forbid you from doing it just because the author thinks you will not have any use for it? Under certain circumstances (e.g. for certain processing) it is perfectly rational to convert 44.1/16 to, say, 88.2/24.

I guess a reasonable compromise would be to warn the user under certain circumstances. foobar2000 warns you against transcoding lossy to "lossless" - that conversion does in fact not do any harm to the signal, it just takes up space and may fool you into thinking that the file is something else than you think.

Gentlemen, I think the mystery is solved. You have to download dBpowerAMP APPS from the net. As I said I recently upgraded to Windows 8. In fact, ALL programs are rules, managed, protected, and yes, watched by Microsoft windows 8. :blush:

dBpoweramp Guru

You have to download dBpowerAMP APPS from the net.
    Please elaborate?

dBpoweramp Guru

Gentlemen, I think the mystery is solved. You have to download dBpowerAMP APPS from the net. As I said I recently upgraded to Windows 8. In fact, ALL programs are rules, managed, protected, and yes, watched by Microsoft windows 8. :blush:
    pleased you've solved it. Agree that you might put more details about apps from the net issue for others who might find this thread with similar problem.

My pleasure gentlemen. When I upgraded to Windows 8 all programs were a "GO". No problem, everything worked fine. After a few hours of using Windows 8 the old form, I notice that everything was going a little slow or lock up. Like Firefox which is upgrading everyday and still can't get it right, more on this later. . So I Defreg my computer. I was noticing like if my browser was be hijacked. No, it was windows kind of like pulling me to use Windows 8 and its so called Windows 8 platform. Windows 8 used APP. Which are short for Applications. They can be used on your computer, laptop, iPhone, iPad etc. Yes, we call it corner the market so to speak. These App are stored in some program who I think already upgraded their programs for them to work with Windows 8. Some App have to be installed. Trick is some have to be bought online. Yes, bought. Yes, the cost is minimal from. you have to go to an App Store! It gets better. If you don't, you'll have problems running your program like I had. The one for dBpoweramp is free, unless you upgrade and go for the one, here. Check it out gentlemen it goes for $24.00.
    Last edited by almc2242; 03-30-2013 at 05:39 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

My pleasure gentlemen. When I upgraded to Windows 8 all programs were a "GO". No problem, everything worked fine. After a few hours of using Windows 8 the old form, I notice that everything was going a little slow or lock up. Like Firefox which is upgrading everyday and still can't get it right, more on this later. . So I Defreg my computer. I was noticing like if my browser was be hijacked. No, it was windows kind of like pulling me to use Windows 8 and its so called Windows 8 platform. Windows 8 used APP. Which are short for Applications. They can be used on your computer, laptop, iPhone, iPad etc. Yes, we call it corner the market so to speak. These App are stored in some program who I think already upgraded their programs for them to work with Windows 8. Some App have to be installed. Trick is some have to be bought online. Yes, bought. Yes, the cost is minimal from. you have to go to an App Store! It gets better. If you don't, you'll have problems running your program like I had. The one for dBpoweramp is free, unless you upgrade and go for the one, here. Check it out gentlemen it goes for $24.00.
    Thanks, I suspect there are settings in Win8 that will allow it to *not* takeover and allow use of regular programs. But I don't know for sure as I don't use win8 and it will be at least 2 years before I have anything using win8. I always delay 2 to 3 years in Operating System changes. Too many headaches to be an early adopter of operating systems in my opinion. But I'm glad you figured it out and got everything working.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Thanks, I suspect there are settings in Win8 that will allow it to *not* takeover and allow use of regular programs. But I don't know for sure as I don't use win8 and it will be at least 2 years before I have anything using win8. I always delay 2 to 3 years in Operating System changes. Too many headaches to be an early adopter of operating systems in my opinion. But I'm glad you figured it out and got everything working.
    Thanks for everything guys.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I don't use Windows 8, so I don't quite know the proverbial "ins and outs" of it, but it might be better to download/purchase dBpoweramp directly from Illustrate rather than a third party app store.

Lightbulb Re: My program is saying it can't convert to FLAC, WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglescout1998 View Post
    I don't use Windows 8, so I don't quite know the proverbial "ins and outs" of it, but it might be better to download/purchase dBpoweramp directly from Illustrate rather than a third party app store.
    good call.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by eaglescout1998 View Post
    Yes, as spoon has reported that it works fine with Win8 (which suggests your problems were with how it was installed on win8, what the win8 control options were, or whether you were even using the correct version of dbpa).
    Last edited by garym; 03-31-2013 at 08:49 AM.