title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My program is saying it can't convert to FLAC, WHY?

My program is saying it can't convert to FLAC, WHY?

I've posted why its not working. But can anyone help explainging a fix?

Error converting to FLAC, 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\*Prism\Akira Wada\Akira Wada & Brosky Riddim' Section - 1995 - Praia [CBR.320]\01- Sara Smile.mp3' to 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\*Prism\Akira Wada\Akira Wada & Brosky Riddim' Section - 1995 - Praia [CBR.320]\01- Sara Smile.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\*Prism\Akira Wada\Akira Wada & Brosky Riddim' Section - 1995 - Praia [CBR.320]\01- Sara Smile.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Administrator

Re: My program is saying it can't convert to FLAC, WHY?

Not sure how you have a '*' in the filename, but under Windows it is an illegal character and will stop the file opening.

Strange, when I look in all the rest of the file, non have this "*". Let me do some more checking. Thank you spoon. I'll be Back.

OK, I tried again but the error box comes out again. Here are the results.

Error converting to FLAC, 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\01. Summer After Noon.mp3' to 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\01. Summer After Noon.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\01. Summer After Noon.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to FLAC, 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\02. Breath of Life.mp3' to 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\02. Breath of Life.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\02. Breath of Life.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to FLAC, 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\03. Benearth the Sea.mp3' to 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\03. Benearth the Sea.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\03. Benearth the Sea.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to FLAC, 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\04. Morning Light.mp3' to 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\04. Morning Light.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\04. Morning Light.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to FLAC, 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\05. Night Picnic.mp3' to 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\05. Night Picnic.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\05. Night Picnic.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to FLAC, 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\06. Love Me.mp3' to 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\06. Love Me.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\Prism\Prism - 1979 - Live [CBR.320]\CD2\06. Love Me.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I apologize for not answering your question. However, I do have one of my own.

If I read your logs correctly, you are attempting to convert MP3 to FLAC. Why on God's green earth would you do this? Upconverting is harmless, but it serves no purpose. It will not make the file sound any better; it will only take up more space on your hard drive (as well as increase the world's quota of bad FLACs).

With other MP3; Results on clipboard.

Error converting to FLAC, 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\01. David Benoit - Wailea.flac' to 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\01. David Benoit - Wailea.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\01. David Benoit - Wailea.flac.tmp.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to FLAC, 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\02. David Benoit - I Went to Bat for You.flac' to 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\02. David Benoit - I Went to Bat for You.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\02. David Benoit - I Went to Bat for You.flac.tmp.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to FLAC, 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\03. David Benoit - Any Other Time.flac' to 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\03. David Benoit - Any Other Time.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\03. David Benoit - Any Other Time.flac.tmp.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to FLAC, 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\04. David Benoit - Carmel.flac' to 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\04. David Benoit - Carmel.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\04. David Benoit - Carmel.flac.tmp.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to FLAC, 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\05. David Benoit - Sparks Flew.flac' to 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\05. David Benoit - Sparks Flew.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\05. David Benoit - Sparks Flew.flac.tmp.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to FLAC, 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\06. David Benoit - Shaken, Not Stirred.flac' to 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\06. David Benoit - Shaken, Not Stirred.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\06. David Benoit - Shaken, Not Stirred.flac.tmp.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to FLAC, 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\07. David Benoit - Chi Chi's Eyes.flac' to 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\07. David Benoit - Chi Chi's Eyes.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\07. David Benoit - Chi Chi's Eyes.flac.tmp.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to FLAC, 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\08. David Benoit - Days of Old.flac' to 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\08. David Benoit - Days of Old.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\08. David Benoit - Days of Old.flac.tmp.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to FLAC, 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\09. David Benoit - Jacqueline.flac' to 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\09. David Benoit - Jacqueline.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\09. David Benoit - Jacqueline.flac.tmp.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to FLAC, 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\10. David Benoit - Sarah's Theme.flac' to 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\10. David Benoit - Sarah's Theme.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\angel luis\Desktop\David Benoit\1994 - Shaken Not Stirred\10. David Benoit - Sarah's Theme.flac.tmp.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Ok, I like flac better. Also, I change to 24 bit and 96hKz. I have a set of Bose 901 with 250 WATTs RMS pumping. You can feel that kind of music. MP3 has a lot of treble. FLAC sound much with a deeper sound. I record this to DVD. Better sound then CD.

dBpoweramp Guru

It could be in windows 8 program's are not allowed to write to the desktop, try copy the music to the music folder then convert from there.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by almc2242 View Post
    Ok, I like flac better. Also, I change to 24 bit and 96hKz. I have a set of Bose 901 with 250 WATTs RMS pumping. You can feel that kind of music. MP3 has a lot of treble. FLAC sound much with a deeper sound. I record this to DVD. Better sound then CD.
    You understand that changing 16/44.1 file to 24/96 doesn't add any audio information. And as noted, converting mp3 to FLAC just makes a larger version of the identical mp3 audio. I suspect your DVD player simply plays things at a slightly higher volume, and even very small volume differences have been proven to make the listener prefer the higher volume source.

In other words the conversion that dbPweramp does, is hog wash.

Quote Originally Posted by almc2242 View Post
    In other words the conversion that dbPweramp does, is hog wash.
    ?

garym can speak for himself, but he was just saying you might be wasting disk space or (worse in my opinion) fidelity based on a not well controlled experiment, namely that the most logical reason for hearing a difference between two different pieces of hardware is differences in their analog outputs not their digital inputs. Especially with headphones there are large differences with different hardware. Even on the same hardware there is often a difference in volume with different input formats (especially, say HDCD or SACD vs. CD, but also often between CD and DVD.) Even a quarter of a dB is significant.
    Last edited by TedSmith; 03-25-2013 at 04:04 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TedSmith View Post
    ?

garym can speak for himself, but he was just saying you might be wasting disk space or (worse in my opinion) fidelity based on a not well controlled experiment, namely the most logical reason hearing for a difference between two different pieces of hardware's playback is their analog output not their digital input. Especially with headphones there is a huge difference between different hardware. Even on the same hardware there is often a difference in volume with different input formats (especially, say HDCD or SACD vs. CD, but also often between CD and DVD.) Even a quarter of a dB is significant.
    Very much agree. My DVD player sounds very different from my CD player simply because the analog output volume is quite different, even if playing the exact CD in both. And maybe whatever you're playing mp3 files on is not so great for playing mp3 files (there are good players and crappy players). Try downloading foobar2000 and the ABX component. Then do a true double blind test where you are comparing mp3 to lossless. You might be surprised.

And I'm not saying the dbpa conversion is hog wash. With respect, I'm saying converting mp3 files into 24/96 FLAC files is hogwash. All you've done is created an exact duplicate of the mp3 file (in a larger file container) and to get to 24/96, a bunch of zeros have been added. Is 1.00 a different number than 1.000000000000? If it makes you happy to make these conversions, by all means you should do whatever makes you happy. But the science and engineering behind all this is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Very much agree. My DVD player sounds very different from my CD player simply because the analog output volume is quite different, even if playing the exact CD in both. And maybe whatever you're playing mp3 files on is not so great for playing mp3 files (there are good players and crappy players). Try downloading foobar2000 and the ABX component. Then do a true double blind test where you are comparing mp3 to lossless. You might be surprised.

And I'm not saying the dbpa conversion is hog wash. With respect, I'm saying converting mp3 files into 24/96 FLAC files is hogwash. All you've done is created an exact duplicate of the mp3 file (in a larger file container) and to get to 24/96, a bunch of zeros have been added. Is 1.00 a different number than 1.000000000000? If it makes you happy to make these conversions, by all means you should do whatever makes you happy. But the science and engineering behind all this is clear.
    Good observation gentlemen. Now then, how can I do HDTracks? In other words, DIY HDTracks!

dBpoweramp Guru

There is no way to turn non-hires tracks into hires tracks. You can't add back information that is not there to begin with. You can purchase hires tracks of course. (but even many of those are simply 16/44.1 files upsampled to hires to sell to unsuspecting customers!). Also, do you realize that a number of well-conducted tests (double blind) have documented that listeners can't distinguish between 16/44.1 and 24/96 or 24/192 files (if such files are based on the same original mastering of the music). Some hires files are of course better (but not because they are hires, but because they are from a different and *better* mastering. And also keep in mind that there can even be problems with a hires file being worse than lowerres. See, for example,

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

dBpoweramp Guru