title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CDRipper frame errors fix

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

CDRipper frame errors fix

Nearly all my inaccurate rips are down to the manufacturing process and poor quality control and implementation of the Audio CD Red Book Standard. In my opinion, this responsibility lies with the record labels.

However, in my discussions with a couple of record labels over errors in CD pressings, some have replaced the CD in question while others have argued that these errors fall within the standards set and are unavoidable. When played in a CD player, error correction and interpolation is (nearly always) able to hide CD read errors from the listener. This is how it has been since the 1980's and the introduction of the Audio CD and CD player.

CDRipper is attempting to read the data, bit perfect and save the data to hard disk. However, by re-ripping frames, discovering frame errors and ultimately inaccurate rips, CDRipper highlights CDs with errors.

So, I would like to see an implementation in CDRipper that when a rip is unable to read frames, CDRipper is able to fix the frame errors by accessing the now large audio database available to Ilustrate.

This would not mean downloading tracks and infringing copyright laws etc. but allowing a few bytes to be accessed to fix frame errors. I am not completely au fait with copyright law but I believe this proposal to be reasonable.
  • EliC
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: CDRipper frame errors fix

You can do this today with CueTools, though you don't download any bytes from the song, you download a Reed-Solomon file that is able to repair your file.

Actually, spoon has already said that there are plans to develop and deploy AccurateRip 3, which will have a R-S repair feature, based on AudioSafe.

I have been putting pressure on spoon to add support for CueTools Database, which is disc based, and real-time (it has up to date entries from brand new discs long before AR) and complimentary to the proposed future AR3.

Comment

• mville
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2008

I'm familiar with CUETools and it has fixed up a few of my CDs.

I just think that CDRipper with a repair feature based on AccurateRip/AudioSafe would be, well... bloody marvellous.

Comment

• Porcus
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mville
        with a repair feature based on AccurateRip/AudioSafe would be, well... bloody marvellous.
        EliC and myself have been nagging Spoon a bit to support the CUEToolsDB ...

Comment

• EliC
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Originally posted by mville
          I'm familiar with CUETools and it has fixed up a few of my CDs.

I just think that CDRipper with a repair feature based on AccurateRip/AudioSafe would be, well... bloody marvellous.

As stated, this is what spoon has said is planned for AR3, though I imagine it will still be reed-Solomon repair, and not simply downloading a small amount of music. The R-S repair completely avoids any copyright issues, downloading even a small amount of music gets muddier...

Comment

• kennymadone
            • Jun 2011

Being a newbie to all this my first post on the forum is about the quality of cds, Some partially rip ok, others totally refuse to co-operate, spoon advises using a second cd rom to see whether the discs will rip on that one,but I agree a with all the above , that using either a reed-soloman or audiosafe (programe/facility) would definatelly be desirable to alot of people to enable them to have an accurate music database, and I am sure that people would be prepared to pay for that capability and I too look forward (hopefully) that it may be incorporated into dbpoweramp in the future.

Comment

• EliC
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Well spoon has announced the end of audio safe so the future of ar3 and rs repair are in question for dbpoweramp. You can see my other post in this thread asking for CTDB in dBpa....

Comment

• EliC
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

spoon as now answered this question. Without AudioSafe, there will be no no AR3 with RS correction (at least not any based on AudioSafe). Andre, CueTools developer, as already stated many times that he would be willing to change CTDB to overcome what spoon sees as the major shortcoming, that is the repair of single tracks.

Comment

Working...

]]>