title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: dBpoweramp CD Ripper hangs constantly

dBpoweramp CD Ripper hangs constantly

Hey there everyone,

I am wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with this issue, as it's a bit odd and I can't seem to figure it out.

A few months ago I decided to give dBpoweramp a try (because I was tired of setting up EAC) to rip some CD's.
    I opted to install the trial and it worked fine. However, I didn't have many CD's, so I left it alone after that and went about my business.

Fast forward to now, and I have a bunch of new CD's that just came in that I want to rip.
    Of course, my trial has expired, but it worked well, and the metadata databases actually had some info for my CD's which surprised me, so I went ahead and purchased Reference 14.4. It worked before, so why wouldn't it work now?

Well, apparently, something has changed, and I can't figure out what it is.
    First, I may have foolishly attempted to preserve the settings by installing the newly purchased version over the trial.
    This resulted in the program hanging as soon as I inserted a CD. I decided to do a fresh install after this, so I uninstalled the program, rebooted, installed the new version, and rebooted again.

Now it doesn't hang immediately upon loading a CD, and I even made it through the Accuraterip offset configuration successfully.
    However, when I try to rip (even set to Burst mode) it won't do anything. It stays at trying to rip track 1 for over 20 minutes before I ran out of patience.
    The program stops being responsive (forever stalled at "Canceling" the rip) and I have to end its task. While there, I notice that many instances of "GetPopupinfo.exe" and "conhost.exe" are being loaded and closed repeatedly. Not sure if this would help identify the problem.

Anyway, I tried again with the same results (Burst or Secure rip.) I then tried simply loading the CD and hitting play through the CD ripper - same result, program hangs and no audio is played.
    I can queue and play the CD perfectly fine in foobar, however.

I'm not entirely sure what is going on, but this is quite frustrating as I'm not sure what exactly is going on, so I can't fix it.

For what it's worth, I did try changing some options beforehand under the Secure Ripping section, and the program's auto-detection for read caching seemed to say my drive didn't support it, so it changed the read cache from the default of 1024kb to zero.

My drive is a Samsung SH-S203B, PC running Win7 x64.

Any ideas?
    Thank you.

Administrator

Re: dBpoweramp CD Ripper hangs constantly

This:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...rom-the-System

Will give you a fresh settings, however I am not sure it will help. Hanging on CD Insert, this is more of a possible hardware issue, try EAC with that exact CD please to see if it can rip it.

The multiple instances of getpopup, dBpoweramp tells Windows it can handle files such as FLAC and windows will then index your entire music collection to gather the details (like it will do by default for mp3).

Thank you, although I'm still having issues.

Following that thread, I uninstalled dBpoweramp, rebooted, ran that tool to clear all settings, rebooted again, then went ahead and re-downloaded the main installer for good measure, reinstalled it, and rebooted once more.
    I believe this is as cleanly as I can go about reinstalling.

Unfortunately, I appear to be running into the same issue as before.
    It's not hanging on CD insert anymore, but rather it just doesn't seem to do anything when I hit the "Rip" button.

As before, (and I decided to not mess with any settings within the CD ripper program this time, I just let it detect the offset, and immediately went to go hit Rip) once I attempt to start ripping, the CD drive sounds like it gets initiated, but then never actually spins up, and the ripping progress stays at 0%. If I attempt to cancel the rip, it will say Cancelling, but nothing changes. It feels to me as if there's some sort of issue communicating with the CD drive.
    At this point, the program doesn't really respond (as it's waiting for the current action to be cancelled) and I have to end its task.

As far as ripping this CD with EAC, I have no tried that yet.

However, this is not a new CD. It is one of the CD's I ripped with dBpoweramp a few months ago when I used the trial. It of course succeeded then, so I'm not sure why it won't work now.

If there are any logs or anything, please let me know and I can try to gather some.
    As an aside, from another thread, I also tried ripping to the "Test Conversion" but it exhibits the same behavior - gets stuck upon hitting "Rip." CD drive sounds like it engages, but never spins up.

Edit:
    Okay, I have some more information to provide.

I installed the latest EAC and it appears to run into a similar problem.
    It hangs/stalls when trying to find the AccurateRip offset.
    I'm trying with a different CD (that I also ripped previously) and am getting the same issues.

I tried rechecking the cables to the drive making sure they are tightened up, but otherwise, I am honestly lost as to what the problem might be.
    Last edited by DarkScythe; 03-18-2013 at 09:42 PM.

I guess I can't edit that post again, but some more information:

I just loaded a CD into my drive, verified that it played fine in Foobar.

Next, I used Daemon Tools Lite to image the audio CD. It successfully read and ripped the CD into an *.mdx file.
    Next, I mounted this image of my audio CD to its virtual DVD drive. (I also ejected and removed my original source CD, to avoid confusion.)
    Next, I loaded EAC, and pointed it to my virtual drive. AccurateRip offered to find the offset of this drive, but upon attempting to do so, it returned the +6 offset of my real drive (makes sense, since DT made an image off this drive) but also requested 3 key discs, which I don't really feel inclined to do right now.
    Anyway, with that settled, I then told EAC to rip from the image on the virtual drive.

This process successfully completed with no errors.

Next, I loaded dBpoweramp and pointed it to the same image stored in the virtual drive, and did a rip to "Test Conversion."
    This process also completely successfully.

The summary of my findings so far seem to indicate that both EAC and dBpoweramp appear to have some problem attempting to read discs straight from my optical drive, but Daemon Tools has no problem ripping from it. Furthermore, once ripped into an image, both EAC and dBpoweramp have no issue ripping from this virtual CD.

Any ideas?

Edit:
    Daemon Tools does come with its own "SCSI Pass Through Direct" thing for communicating with optical drives, but even after uninstalling it, EAC still hangs in the same place - trying to determine the offset of the drive. I imagine dBpoweramp would stall in the same way it has been as well.
    Last edited by DarkScythe; 03-18-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Administrator

Potentially you have something blocking CD Drive communication, any virtual CD drive program could do this.

You can switch to a simpler communication: CD Ripper >> Options >> Communication to 'Windows Built-in'

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Potentially you have something blocking CD Drive communication, any virtual CD drive program could do this.

You can switch to a simpler communication: CD Ripper >> Options >> Communication to 'Windows Built-in'
    Are there any filter drivers attached to your optical drive? You can use bustrace's Filter Driver Load Order tool to check: http://www.bustrace.com/products/devfilter.htm

You can also use ImgBurn ( http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download ) to check under Tools/Filter Drive Load Order, and even disable them using ImgBurn, though that would break any software that installs them and relies on them.

B

Thanks for the information bhoar.

I'm not in a pressing need to use Daemon Tools again right now, so I've left it uninstalled, and haven't gotten around to reinstalling it yet. I'm not sure if its SPTD driver would affect anything, but I'm fairly certain I had it installed previously when I last used dBpoweramp successfully. Either way, I do still have ImgBurn installed, and checking the Filter Driver Load Order, I see that the Upper Device Filter is empty, as are the Lower Class and Lower Device Filters. The Upper Class Filter says GEARAspiWDM, and Device is simply CD/DVD-ROM Device. Again, I'm not sure of Daemon Tool's SPTD would be listed in here anywhere.

Spoon, I was going to try that, but I read in another thread here that using the Windows Built-In communication method meant the loss of some drive functionality or something.
    In either case, there is something odd going on, as Daemon Tools and Foobar can communicate with the drive without much issue, but EAC and dBpoweramp do.

I did some research, and for now I think this issue can be listed as resolved, but with a catch.
    As a last resort, I started swapping the SATA ports that my optical drive was connected to.

Apparently, the SATA ports that I had this drive originally connected to was controlled by a Marvell 9128 chipset, which appears to be terrible for pretty much everything. My motherboard includes 2 SATA ports controlled by this chipset, and both of them exhibited the same problem I have been describing. (I originally plugged my optical drive into these ports because I have quite a few HDD's which took up all of the native Intel-powered SATA 3G ports.)
    I swapped this optical drive over to the remaining Intel-powered SATA 6G port (My SSD occupies the other one, and was the reason I didn't want to hook up the optical drive into the same controller to begin with.)

Anyway, after I swapped the optical drive to the last Intel-powered SATA port, the drive started working well, and I have conducted numerous test rips in both dBpoweramp and EAC without issue.
    I guess the problem was with the Marvell controller being absolutely terrible. I did not know this beforehand, since the last time I used dBpoweramp was before I overhauled my PC with a new set of hard drives, which meant I had shuffled around all the port connections. I still don't really know why, though, and I will have to keep this in mind in the future if I need to expand again and need to make use of those extra Marvell-powered SATA ports.

Thanks again, you two.

dBpoweramp Guru

Glad to hear it's resolved or at least worked around. Out of curiosity and if you get a chance, try turning on the 8KB transfers switch with the drive connected to the marvel SATA port.

B

Administrator

If it was freezing when reading a CD TOC, then some serious miss-match is going on in the hardware.

This thread lead me to a search for conhost.net crash problem. Getting "console window host has stopped working" popup every minute during ripping in win7 64bit. Works okay with winxp home without this popup ever. Constantly needing to close popup.

Update error message:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: conhost.exe
    Application Version: 6.1.7601.18015
    Application Timestamp: 50b826c0
    Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec4aa8e
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 000000000009970a