title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Replay Gain - dbPoweramp vs. Foobar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Replay Gain - dbPoweramp vs. Foobar

Why are the replay gain values different in dbPoweramp and foobar? I ripped a cd using dbPoweramp cd ripper and used the DSP effect, replay gain. I also ripped the cd without the DSP replay gain and then used foobar to add the replay gain tag values. Below are my results. I'm curious has to why the values are different.

dbPoweramp - replay gain
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4tJ...it?usp=sharing

Foobar - replay gain
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4tJ...it?usp=sharing

Sorry for the links to the images but I can't seem to figure out how to post the image.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Guinness; 03-17-2013 at 09:33 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Replay Gain - dbPoweramp vs. Foobar

Perhaps foobar switched to the ebu r128 calculation? You should use is method as a way forward in dbpoweramp as the results are more accurate.

********* - thank you for the reply.

I just want to make sure I understand your reply. Are you saying to use dbpoweramp's RG as they are more accurate than the way foobar calculates RG?

One more question. This is how I'm applying replay gain. First I'll rip the cd to flac using dbpoweramp without the replay gain DSP. Then I'll use dbpoweramp batch converter and convert flac to flac and apply the replay gain that way. Does this method work. For example, if I apply replay gain while ripping the cd and some tracks have errors (inaccurate rips) then I want to go back and re-rip to see if I can get an accurate result. If I get an accurate result then my replay gain album values will be different on those re-ripped tracks. Therefore, I would like to rip all tracks first and once I have all accurate rips I can then apply replay gain using batch converter.

Administrator

I meant that EBU R128 is more accurate than the older replaygain.

I would use RG whilst ripping and for those discs where you re-rip, only then convert FLAC >> FLAC to recalculate.

Spoon - I'm a novice with replay gain so are you saying dBpoweramp uses EBU R128? If so, then when I add the replay gain DSP it is the EBU R128?

Also, I did some digging and read on the foobar's changelog that they use libebur128. I have no clue, libebur128 and EBU r128 are probably one in the same?

Administrator

They are the same.

dBpoweramp has a checkbox to enable EBUR128 on the replaygain page (if you have R14.4)