title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replay Gain - dbPoweramp vs. Foobar

Re: Replay Gain - dbPoweramp vs. Foobar

Thanks for your quick answer Spoon!
    One more question: the error in the DSP 9 doesn't alter the level volume in audio data?

Thanks for your quick answer Spoon!
    One more question: the error in the DSP 9 doesn't alter the level volume in audio data?

Administrator

No, it is tag only, unless you use the DSP effect 'Volume Normalize'

Thanks again Spoon!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    FLAC is lossless, visit codec central and install the [Replay Gain] utility codec, then use Batch Converter, select all your music and set the encoder to [Replay Gain] this will just recalculate the gain and write to the tags.

I just upgraded to R15.1. Do I understand correctly that it is advisable to use the batch converter to redo all my replaygain tags? If so, when I convert from Flac to Flac, does dbpoweramp do anything other than simply copy new replaygain metadata into the old file? Should I have any concerns about corrupting my original files?

Thanks.

Administrator

To update the replaygain efficiently, install the [ReplayGain] utility codec (from Codec Central) and convert all the FLAC files to this, the values are recalculated and files are tagged.

Given that foobar2000 and dBpoweramp use different units for setting the replaygain value, how do you know that the setting in one application will be equivalent to the setting in another? Foobar2000 uses a default target volume level of 89 dB, whereas dbpa uses a default setting of -18 LUFS. How do these units compare and how do you know you are effectively getting the same result since both are using EBU R128?

Is -18 LUFS still considered the defacto standard or has -23 taken over? I'm going to rescan my whole library soon and was looking for a recommendation. Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DrForce View Post
    Given that foobar2000 and dBpoweramp use different units for setting the replaygain value, how do you know that the setting in one application will be equivalent to the setting in another? Foobar2000 uses a default target volume level of 89 dB, whereas dbpa uses a default setting of -18 LUFS. How do these units compare and how do you know you are effectively getting the same result since both are using EBU R128?

Is -18 LUFS still considered the defacto standard or has -23 taken over? I'm going to rescan my whole library soon and was looking for a recommendation. Thanks.
    foobar RG now uses R128 approach with -18LUFS. DBPA also uses R128 approach. It used to default to -23 LUFS; not sure now. But you can set. I set dbpa to use -18LUFS. This way I can use either foobar2000 or dbpa to create RG tags and they match up.

dBpoweramp Guru

I don't remember changing the dBpa default RG setting when I started ripping in late 2014, and it's -18LUFS.