title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Massive amounts of missing ripped files...

  1. #1

    Massive amounts of missing ripped files...

    Heya,

    I've been ripping CDs all week using Batch Ripper. I just went to check on a compilation in the Various Artists folder from a few days ago, and noticed only 3 CDs were in the Various Artist folder.

    I've ripped about 2500 CDs this week, and a LOT of them are Various Artists. I had a suspicion that the folders get overwritten on a new batch, so I went to look at other folders with earlier rips. It's about 50/50. Some have a few days worth of files including today, others have just today where they should definitely have others.

    What's going on?

    No matter what, this means I have to start this whole project from scratch, and that's a HUGE bummer.


    Arlo

  2. #2
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,175

    Re: Massive amounts of missing ripped files...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mute Rose View Post
    Heya,

    I've been ripping CDs all week using Batch Ripper. I just went to check on a compilation in the Various Artists folder from a few days ago, and noticed only 3 CDs were in the Various Artist folder.

    I've ripped about 2500 CDs this week, and a LOT of them are Various Artists. I had a suspicion that the folders get overwritten on a new batch, so I went to look at other folders with earlier rips. It's about 50/50. Some have a few days worth of files including today, others have just today where they should definitely have others.

    What's going on?

    No matter what, this means I have to start this whole project from scratch, and that's a HUGE bummer.


    Arlo
    Is it possible it's breaking the compilations down into Artist folders?

    What's your naming scheme in the CD Ripper? Click the Set button next to Naming. What's the Naming string?
    What encoder are you using?

    B

  3. #3

    Re: Massive amounts of missing ripped files...

    I'm 100% sure they're gone. The Various Artists folder was full of stuff a few days ago, and the size of the top-level folder this was all going into went from about 160GB to about 50GB.

    I'm going to go through what I've ripped 1 by 1, check it, and if it's not there rip again.

    I'm also going to move the folder after each batch now and for the first few batches make sure all ripped CDs are actually there.

    As if this project hasn't consumed enough of my time already. :-)

    Probably a good time to switch from VBR v0 to 320k.


    Arlo
    Last edited by Mute Rose; 03-15-2013 at 06:09 PM.

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    39,052

    Re: Massive amounts of missing ripped files...

    If they have gone, something must have deleted them, dBpoweramp would only ever overwrite, never delete when ripping CDs.

    Try re-ripping a missing compilation CD to detect exactly where it is being stored.

  5. #5
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Massive amounts of missing ripped files...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mute Rose View Post
    Probably a good time to switch from VBR v0 to 320k.
    Why not lossless? FLAC. Then create mp3 lossy files from this if you need for portable use.

  6. #6
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,175

    Re: Massive amounts of missing ripped files...

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Why not lossless? FLAC. Then create mp3 lossy files from this if you need for portable use.
    Yeah: go FLAC, you can always transcode to another lossless or to VBR V0, CBR 320k, etc. to your heart's content later.

    Storage is so cheap now.

    B

  7. #7

    Re: Massive amounts of missing ripped files...

    After all was said and done, it was another application that was causing the file removal.

    Sorry for the false alarm.

    As for FLAC... if I were to start over (no frigg'n way now) I'd likely use Apple Lossless. But yes, probably should have done it from the start.


    Arlo

  8. #8
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,175

    Re: Massive amounts of missing ripped files...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mute Rose View Post
    After all was said and done, it was another application that was causing the file removal.

    Sorry for the false alarm.

    As for FLAC... if I were to start over (no frigg'n way now) I'd likely use Apple Lossless. But yes, probably should have done it from the start.


    Arlo
    I'd use FLAC over apple lossless, for the sole reason that FLAC's file extension is unique, but Apple Lossless's file extensions is shared as the one for Apple's implementation of lossy AAC: .m4a

    Keep your central archive FLAC, then transcode one way into Apple Lossless for large-storage apple devices or lossy AAC for small-storage apple devices.

    Brendan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •