title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 to 3 CD Drives

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

2 to 3 CD Drives

Hello, I have 1 pc that I'm using to burn my collection. I have 2 cd drives currently and have another machine that that I can steal a 3rd cd drive from. I see that I can run multiple instances of dbpoweramp and also choose different CD Drives to do the ripping.

I did run the cache utility but have no way to really understand the output so I left the drive read cache to default at 1024kb // Here is what CacheEx had to say for each CD drive. Please interpret! :smile2:

Drive 1:
    Drive on E is PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-212D 1.15
    [+] Buffer size: 2000 kB, read cache is enabled
    [+] Supported read commands: BEh A8h(FUA) 28h(FUA) D4h(FUA) D5h(FUA) D8h(FUA)
    [+] Testing cache line size:
    346 kB / 151 sectors
    689 kB / 300 sectors
    470 kB / 205 sectors
    638 kB / 278 sectors
    431 kB / 188 sectors
    52 kB / 23 sectors
    229 kB / 100 sectors
    751 kB / 327 sectors
    128 kB / 56 sectors
    604 kB / 263 sectors

Drive 2:
    Drive on F is ATAPI iHES112 3 ML02
    [+] Buffer size: 2048 kB, read cache is enabled
    [+] Supported read commands: BEh A8h(FUA) 28h(FUA) D4h(FUA) D5h(FUA) D8h(FUA)
    [+] Testing cache line size:
    no cache detected

I also ran the permanent marker disc test and both finished immediately without going 1/4 of the way through the test. So I interpreted that as neither drive can do C2 error support

Big Question: Is there anything in dbpoweramp that needs to be set specifically for each drive?? If so do I do the ripping by using a specific profile for each drive?

Thx!!

Administrator

Re: 2 to 3 CD Drives

1024KB is right for your drives I think, I also agree that c2 does not seem to be supported on your system.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks Spoon! Do I need to create a separate profile for each cd drive when ripping at the same time?

Administrator

No

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

That's nice BUT what if I have one CD Drive that does adequately support C2 error checking? I will add a 3rd drive based on our conversations..

Thx!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

badelman,

I recently built a PC with four optical drives with one purpose being (obviously) to rip multiple CD's simultaneously. I rip client's CD collections to HDD or NAS drives for use with streaming audio systems. I just wanted to say that I'm using all the default drive settings in CD Ripper and it works great. I like opening multiple instances of CD ripper so I can individually edit the ID tag info, etc for each CD. I'm also playing with Batch Ripper. I believe that Spoon told me before that four drives is the max recommended for use with a desktop PC. dbpoweramp also utilizes all the cores of your processor for ripping, editing, converting. Very fast with my i5 3570 quad core in the new build. Just wanted to throw in my thoughts.

Administrator

Items such as offset + c2 + cache are stored per drive, not per profile.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks for your thoughts sjc! Spoon, thanks. So when I go into options and mess with anything having to do with the cd player AND click apply/ok after I'm done DbPoweramp will automatically remember what drive that was with no further intervention from me?? If this is true would I be able to open options with 2 different instances of DbPoweramp open and see different settings in each instances (assuming they are different)?

Thx, Barry

Administrator

For 2 instances, there are shared things between programs, such as profile and everything in profile, basically you can use 2 CD rippers if both are using the same settings.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Yes but per your statement above - Items such as offset + c2 + cache are stored per drive, not per profile:

So when I go into options and mess with anything having to do with the cd player AND click apply/ok after I'm done DbPoweramp will automatically remember what drive that was with no further intervention from me?

BTW.. I am actually using 3 cd drives now but havent bothered checking c2 on the 3rd I just installed

Administrator

>what drive that was with no further intervention from me?

In CD Ripper anything which is drive specific is shown with a different line back color, such as c2.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Are the offset, C2, and cache parameters you guys are talking about set during the initial configuration that happens when CD Ripper encounters a new optical drive (the prompt that comes up the first time you try to rip a CD in the new drive)? If so why would you need to modify those settings assuming that the settings would be optimal for the drive in use?

Steve

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I do see that the background on the C2 stuff and drive options are a different color (mine are light yellow). I assume then my answer is "yes" to: when I go into options and mess with anything having to do with the cd drive settings (with the yellow background) AND click apply/ok after I'm done DbPoweramp will automatically those settings for the particular drive I have chosen for that session.

Correct?

Administrator

The configuration of c2 pointers is not automatic, rather it is done manually from the Options >> Secure page.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I understand that. I just wanted to make sure DBP can distinguish those manual settings between the different cd drives chosen (whatever cd drive is loaded at the time) and that they are saved. Sounds like this is exactly what occurs.

*******I just tested my 3rd cd drive.. Interesting that this is the only cd drive I have that actually allowed the C2 test to run 1/8th of the way through the C2 detection test (the other two finished right away). It did say C2 error pointers have been detected and should be used. Should I allow this setting to be checked for this cd drive OR NOT ALLOW it because it did not get through at least 1/4the of the test??

Please let me know!

Thx!
    Last edited by badelman; 03-14-2013 at 04:51 PM.