title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Set only a max. bitrate

Set only a max. bitrate

Hello, iv got a problem while using dMC. When i convert my library to mp3 (lame) i want to use -v2 192.
    But there a some pieces with bitrates below 192kbs and dmc increases the bitrate, which makes the files bigger again.
    How can I prevent that?
    I want to convert files to 192 kbs, if their bitrate has been bigger before.
    If the origin bitrate was <192, it would be great when dMC only converts the codec and stays at the same bitrate.
    Is this possible with dMC?
    If not, could, even in a commercial Support Fourm, tell me someone if there even exists a software (Freeware or not) which can do this?

Administrator

Re: Set only a max. bitrate

Use Batch Converter, select the root folder, then click List and when all files listed, sort on Bit rate column, uncheck the files you do not want to convert.

I want to convert them to mp3, but not to change their bitrate if it was below the target bitrate for my flac music.

Help! I need somebody! Help! Oh just anybody! Help!

I hope I understand you well.

In the folder tree, click on the desired folder, then on the file tab click on bitrate, then with Shift Left Click select the 1st and last line, where the bitrate > target bitrate, then click on the check box before the file name.

To get help, click to the big ? in the batch converter, and reed "Filtering On BitRate, etc "
    Last edited by hopalong; 03-19-2013 at 03:32 PM.

I think what the OP is trying to do is convert ALL files from another format to MP3, but not have it upsample those with a <192 kbs bitrate.

So if I understand, he'd have to do it in two steps - first those with >=192 kbs, downsampled to 192 kbs, and then the rest, leaving the bitrate unchanged. But I don't know without checking if you can set the MP3 encoder to "leave original bitrate unchanged".

@hopalong: That would be a option, but its important that all files have Lame as codec afterwards. So i need a way to convert a track to lame but not to change his qualitiy if the origin qualitiy was below the quality of an 192 kb/s Lame mp3.
    I mean qualtiy and not bitrate. Because i have multiple codecs and havenīt found a table yet to multiply the bitrate for acheiving an similar qualitiy.
    Thank you Chileboy, i think you are the first one who understood me right, my english isnīt as good as it should.
    This two step method would be acceptable, if i would found a way, how you recognized right already, how to leave a bitrate unchanged.
    Would it be possible to convert them to a lossles format again and then back to mp3? But i donīt know if the qualitiy will suffer under this method, and of course i would need a bigger HDD. So please, if anybody has an idee, maybe even of another software which could do this (but this would be the wrong forum to ask).....
    Last edited by Chefi; 03-20-2013 at 02:21 PM.

I don't see any way of doing this, unfortunately.

The best you would be able to do is sort the files by bitrate, then convert them in groups - for instance, select all of the files with a 96kbps and then set the Lame encoder to use a CBR (Constant Bit Rate) of 96kbps, then do the same for your 128kbps files, etc.

I checked a couple of commercial programs I have, and they cannot do what you're asking, either.

The only thing I can think of is some command-line statement - maybe it's possible to write a batch file to extract the original bit rate, and then pass that as a command-line parameter to the Lame encoder. But that's not something I can help you with.

Might I ask, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you are going from a lossless format (like flac or alac) and you simply want smaller files for your iPod, that's fine, but if you're going from one lossy format to another, you're always going to lose quality - yes, even if you convert lossy -> lossless -> lossy as you suggest (and I'm not sure what that would accomplish, as you'd still have your original issue). Are all of these files in a format that your target device doesn't support?

Yes, thats the problem. The target device would be our car, and most of the music is apple or microsoft codec, and our car wonīt do that. And it seemed much cheaper to find a working software than buy a new car :D
    The file size wouldnīt be that much important, but 192 kbs was the last bitrate with a classical test track were i could notice the slightest difference.
    I think this sorting after bitrate and converting in groups will be the best, sadly i havenīt found one clever program to do this kind of converting a whole library to an device in this smart i way i hoped. Is there an option in dMC to collect a group of Jobs before converting so that i wouldnīt have to sit in front of the computer all night?

I've been thinking about this and I don't think that will work. My first thought was to run multiple instances of the Batch Converter - start one session for all your files >=192 kbps, and then open another session and select your next batch, etc. But I think it will run into problems because you are setting the LAME encoder to use different bitrates, and from what I have observed, dBpoweramp writes that sort of information into a global configuration files - so all sessions would use the last setting applied, or at least become confused. But I didn't actually try it, so I can't be sure.

most of the music is apple or microsoft codec, and our car wonīt do that. And it seemed much cheaper to find a working software than buy a new car :D
    Now that I understand!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Chefi View Post
    The file size wouldnīt be that much important, but 192 kbs was the last bitrate with a classical test track were i could notice the slightest difference.
    That would depend quite a lot on what you transcode from. 192 kb/s lossy --> 192 kb/s lossy is in fact a lossy operation, with potentially audible artifacts even if the lossless --> 192 encoding is transparent. Also, 96 --> 192 is lossy!

If files size isn't too important, then just choose (say) 192 and do the transcoding. Then OTOH ... did you notice differences below 192 while driving your car?

(I do know a way to search by bitrate in software, but I do not think it is too useful. Just pick a rate and do the job. If it is annoying, you can overwrite with a new encoding ... maybe even only on those particular pieces of music.)