title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Easy newby question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fred40
    • Mar 2013

Easy newby question

Hi All,

Just installed Dbpoweramp and a question already: I am looking for the best audio quality rip in to Flac. But what level of setting is best to use? Uncompressed sure, but level 0 or 1 or level 8? Pleae be so kind to enlight me!

Greetings

Fred From Holland
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Easy newby question

They are all the same, lossless means they all decode to exactly the same, the only difference is the amount of effort required to decode by the player.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Fred40
      • Mar 2013

Thanx

Comment

• Porcus
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Feb 2007

Actually, for FLAC there is hardly any difference in decoding effort -- if you use a conventional hard drive, it might even read faster on -8, because the file is smaller. The differences are in encoding speed, and encoding is something you do only once.

Comment

• wondermouse
          • Sep 2009

Hi Fred,

As I understand it, as far as audio quality goes, the level setting makes no difference in Flac.

What it does is produce smaller - but identical sounding - files the higher the level so Level 8 files will be smaller but sound exactly the same as level 1 files.

Level 8 takes a little longer to process than level 1 and is more processor intensive, but on modern CPUs the difference in ripping speed is negligible so I'd recommend to always rip level 8.

I'm sure Spoon will be along to correct me if I've made any mistakes in my summary :-)

Comment

Working...

]]>