title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Encoding Speed Suddenly Extremely Slow

Encoding Speed Suddenly Extremely Slow

Hi, I purchased dbpoweramp about 1 month ago and have ripped 70% of my CD's. I am ripping to FLAC, AIFF, and WAV. Each CD was taking about 7 minutes to rip. Suddenly 2 days ago it began taking 30minutes to an hour to rip one CD. For some reason the encoding stage of each track is suddenly extremely slow. I'm not sure what to do. Should I uninstall the program and then reinstall (..to see if this fixes the issue)?

Administrator

Re: Encoding Speed Suddenly Extremely Slow

Try ripping to 'Test Conversion', what is the speed, are you ripping to a network location, try a local drive.

+1
    I also purchased the programs 4 weeks ago then updated to 14.4 because all rips were classified as mature. Worked great for 1 week ripped 40 CDs in the 5 to 7 minuet range. This was in multi to Wave/Apple lossless/Flac. Wave files stored on the local drive other two on the NAS. Had to go out of town shut everything down for 12 days. Came back to 1 hour + rip times. Found this thread. Tried your suggestion. As Thomas has not replied here are my results:

CD is a British import by Warner Platinum with 20 tracks. In all cases rip confidence is reported as (2). The problem appears to be when I batch the Apple lossless encoding with any other.

All single coded rips finished at: Apple 2:45 using CPU1 thru 6, Flac 2:12 using CPU 1 and 2 and Wave 2:25 longer rips but encoding was almost instantaneous. Rip speeds reported at x17 and grew to x28 during the latter tracks.

Rip using Wave/Flac completed in 3:22 for all 20 tracks - no problems.

Rip using Apple/Wave/Flac was stopped at 1 hr 6min with 15 of the 20 tracks finished. Rip speed x19, encoding to 98 or 99% takes about 2 min more, then program hangs for additional 2 to 7 min to finish.

Rip using Apple/Flac was stopped at 1hr 2 min and 6 tracks. Rip speeds x20, encoding reports starts at about 30% crawls to 99% and takes another 3 min to finish.

Under all circumstances sampled completed rips are playable.

My system: Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7-3770 processor, 16GB of memory, 2TB Seagate 7200 HD optical drives (both Blu-ray) ASUS BD 12B1ST and ATPI BD E DH12E3SSH.

Administrator

Where do you rip to? a local HDD?

As stated - both Wave was local Apple and Flac saved to the NAS.

dBpoweramp Guru

This will be why...set to rip to local hdd and it will rip fast, why it happens? I think it is a bug in the network sharing on some nas, as the ripper will when using multi encoder have multiple write handles open.

Thanks, but that wasn't the problem. Got some time and I was able to rip 5 test CDs to the 3 codecs on my portable with normal speeds (6-8min each) dropped file onto the NAS.

I had already re-installed the software on the desktop by overwriting. So I thought I'd try again but this time I removed the program (using dBp's uninstall) it did a re-boot. Then re-installed 14.4 again and everything is working fine. Finished 4 disks with both drive running rips just over 5 to 7 min.

Thanks to all now back to finish my library. BTW has dBpoweramp ever considered doing a program for DVDs? I've got money burning (pun intended) a hole in my pocket for one that works as good as this especially with this level of support.

Administrator

DVDs are not our field, we stick with audio.

dBpoweramp Guru

You haven't in the meantime enabled the HDCD DSP? That scans the tracks. (Besides, it is not a good idea to use it when ripping to lossless anyway!)

Exactly the same problem has happened to me. I've ripped 150 CDs to WAV, AIFF, FLAC to pair of synched NAS over the last three weeks without any problems. I'm running Windows XP within Parallels on an iMac. Suddenly today for no apparent reason the encoding is taking an age, i.e. it hangs at 99%. It has taken 24 minutes to rip 3 tracks (which is about 11 mins of music). The ripping itself takes less than 30 seconds. Also i notice that the whole program has become sluggish and the hourglass appears frequently.

UPDATE: even as i type this the encoding has speeded up and it has just ripped/encoded the reaming 7 tracks (29 mins music) in 5 mins! I wonder if it is due to the response of the AccurateRip software lookup? All CDs now ripping/encoding at the proper speed?

Administrator

Any internet lookup is done before ripping, only tagging happens at the end.

It's ripping 56-minute CDs in 10 mins now, which is a great relief! All sluggishness and hourglass moments are gone. If it is not the lookup process, I have no obvious explanation for the period of excessively slow encoding. I hate random computer weirdness, but I guess i will be more relaxed now if it happens again.

Hey,

I am having the same issue! I am a long-time user, first time poster. I am also running DBPoweramp in Boot Camp. Most of my CD rips are for brand new CDs they do not have any scratches. For some reason DB rips my CDs at slower speed: approximately 4-5x. Is anyone else having this problem or know how to fix it?

Administrator

4 to 5x speed could be normal for certain CD drives depending on the CD used.

Thanks Spoon - and for the record that is fantastic news you guys are making a dBPoweramp for Mac. It will be very well received.

*I did not see your reply and hence the thread I started. I will respond there.