title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: cd collection - FLAC and ALAC

Question cd collection - FLAC and ALAC

Hi, apologies if this has been posted before or if it is so daft that it has never needed to be posted !
    I have a collection of 300 CDs which I wish to play on an ipod using iTunes. I also wish to keep the collection 'backed up' in another nonApple lossless format for potential other/future use.
    Is the best format for the ipod ALAC ?
    Is the best format FLAC for nonApple use ?
    Can I use dbpoweramp to simultaneously rip to both formats ?
    Please bear in mind that I am new to ripping AND Apple products. Am I going about this the right way ?
    Thanks in advance for any help offered.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: cd collection - FLAC and ALAC

FLAC seems to be the lossless codec of choice. I'm about 1/2 way through ripping 10,000 CDs to FLAC. Many players can use FLAC (I use squeezeboxes at home and foobar2000 as my PC based player). I also use ipods/iphones/ipads. For these items, I really consider them "portable" devices and consequently don't feel the need to have lossless files stored on them. I use instead mp3 files. I simply keep a library of FLAC files (for use at home with my main system) and a separate library of lossy files (mp3) for use on my iThings.

I don't see any benefit in using lossless files (ALAC) on my portable iThings. On the other hand, if the ipod/itunes is your only playback source, then you'll need a lossless file that itunes can play. In that case, you'll likely want to rip to ALAC. But if so, why bother with FLAC. ALAC is lossless and can be converted to FLAC (or any other codec) losslessly anytime in the future that you so desire.

I rip to FLAC first, clean up my tags, artwork, etc. (if needed) until happy with metadata on FLACs. Then in a separate step, I point and click at these FLAC files and create mp3 versions (using dbpa, LAME -V2 settings). The resulting mp3 files automatically have the same artwork and metadata. One can create FLAC and mp3 (or most other file types) at the same time during ripping. I don't prefer this method as if I need to clean up/modify any tag data, I have to do it twice.

Thanks for the response. I figured having a backup in a different lossless format might be practical, especially if dbpoweramp can do this to both FLAC and ALAC at the same time (?).
    Going on what you have said, would I simply be best to rip the collection using iTunes only (assuming that iTunes rips to ALAC ?) ?
    Then back those files up to an external drive by doing a Windows file copy ?

Administrator

iTunes is not a secure ripper that can verify with AccurateRip your rip is error free....

With dBpoweramp is the 'Multi Encoder' you can add FLAC and ALAC to this Multi Encoder to rip to both at the same time.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by flac andor alac View Post
    Thanks for the response. I figured having a backup in a different lossless format might be practical, especially if dbpoweramp can do this to both FLAC and ALAC at the same time (?).
    Going on what you have said, would I simply be best to rip the collection using iTunes only (assuming that iTunes rips to ALAC ?) ?
    Then back those files up to an external drive by doing a Windows file copy ?
    definitely do not rip with itunes. it is not a secure ripper. And as Spoon points out, does not have the ability to check the rips with accuraterip.

Thanks again.
    Does the FREEversion allow me to
    carry out the ripping to both FLAC and ALAC simultaneously
    and does the FREE version include accuraterip.
    Or do I need to buy the FULL version to do the simultaneous ripping AND copy verify ?

I rip to FLAC and AIFF. Keep the FLAC as a backup/archive copy and then use the AIFF in iTunes and downsample it for my iPhone. Works well for me. And yeah, before I knew about DBPoweramp, I used iTunes exclusively for ripping. Let's just say I won't ever go back to iTunes for ripping. I had several CDs that were in perfect condition and when ripped in iTunes they had the most annoying pops and clicks when played back. In DBPoweramp, they're flawless. I ended up re-ripping my entire collection and haven't looked back.

good day,
    I would appreciate,
    in future releases,
    the option to manipulate the sample rate when converting to ALAC,
    iPhone/iPod does not recognize sample rates higher than 48khz,
    the current method is to change the sample rate in AIFF/WAV,
    then, convert to ALAC,
    thank you,
    enjoy your day,
    PP

Quote Originally Posted by paisleyparker View Post
    good day,
    I would appreciate,
    in future releases,
    the option to manipulate the sample rate when converting to ALAC,
    iPhone/iPod does not recognize sample rates higher than 48khz,
    the current method is to change the sample rate in AIFF/WAV,
    then, convert to ALAC,
    thank you,
    enjoy your day,
    PP
    You can add the Resample DSP effect during the conversion.

problem solved!
    thank you,
    enjoy your day,
    PP

dBpoweramp Guru

Where did you get those more-than-48 AIFF/WAV's? If it is your CD rips, then you have chosen the "wrong" format ...