title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Feature Requests

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • d2b
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2010

Feature Requests

First let me say that R14.4 very nicely implements one of my previous requests for improvement. Now dBpoweramp Ripper properly creates a separate VorbisComment for each value when multiple values are entered and separated with a semicolon and space between them...even for non-standard custom tags. This was an extremely important upgrade for us. Thanks!

These requests were given before, so I remind you again here:

1. The "Meta" tab window size (the metadata entry region at the bottom of the screen) is too small. it needs to be bigger so that more custom tags can be viewed at once. The problem with this small metadata entry region is aggravated by the fact that each time you select a track in the pane above it, the scroll button in the metadata entry region jumps back to the top of the list of tags in that region. Then going back to the metadata entry region means that the user has to scroll down the list of field there in order to enter data in the field of choice. This little non-feature makes using the Meta tab for entering values manually unnecessarily tedious and overly aggravating. A partial solution is to leave the position of the scroll button where it was last used would help significantly when adding custom tags to each track. Still, the overall size of this region at the bottom is too small. I'd rather have a vertical scrolling bar in the "tracks" window pane in order to get a larger region at the bottom of the screen, as I've yet to fill up the upper region while having to deal with the frustrations of entering data in the Meta tab window.

2. When entering data in the "Meta" tag panel as discussed above, please make it possible to move down the list using the Enter key, like you can do when entering track titles, composers and so on in the larger pane above. I discovered that you can use the 'down arrow' for this purpose, but that is inconsistent. Inconsistency in the interface is not good practice.

3. dBpoweramp R14 still does not save custom tags in the cache when ripping CDs to FLAC. I've tried deleting the cache as Spoon previously suggested, but it still does not remember custom values that I've entered manually. All metadata should be saved in the cache, but it's not. This means that if a track or album needs to re-ripped after inspecting it for dirt or damage, a lot of metadata has to be re-entered when the CD is reinserted.

4. I would like to see an *option* wherein the Field Names of VorbisComments for FLAC files are always written as upper case letters. The reason for this is that one of our applications that we use to play music to air is not totally compliant with the FLAC specs in that respect; it needs uppercase field names to properly display the metadata. Furthermore, when viewing a list of tags with any kind of metadata viewer or a hex editor, it's easier to differentiate field names from values.

5. Like others that have requested this, I'd like a better and more accurate sources of metadata and album art. From what I can determine, AMG is the only useful source with mostly-accurate tags. Although Gracenote seldom has composer information and never label data, at least it's almost always 100% accurate even on brand-new independent releases that originate here in the States. Surely some site out there can do better than freedb, which is too often inaccurate.

Regardless, keep up the good work.

-d2b-
  • EliC
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Feature Requests

Originally posted by d2b
    5. Like others that have requested this, I'd like a better and more accurate sources of metadata and album art. From what I can determine, AMG is the only useful source with mostly-accurate tags. Although Gracenote seldom has composer information and never label data, at least it's almost always 100% accurate even on brand-new independent releases that originate here in the States. Surely some site out there can do better than freedb, which is too often inaccurate.

Regardless, keep up the good work.

-d2b-
    IMHO musicbrainz is also very good.

I would very much like to see dBpoweramp use an iterative process. If the results all match no further sources are required. However, if the results from the sources don't match, then query additional sources (I would suggest discogs).

Unfortunately, gracenote was not interested in participating in PerfectMeta. It would be great if they would. I don't know if there would be any value in spoon re-approaching them.

Comment

Working...

]]>