title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Batch Converter ignoring restricted character conversion setting

Batch Converter ignoring restricted character conversion setting

I just installed 14.3 on my CPU. When trying to clean up all my folders and get them consistently named using [Arrange Audio], I noticed that the restricted character conversion is not being applied. Specifically AC/DC albums are being put into the folder "AC". Though in one case they got put into a sub folder named "DC" within the "AC" folder, so in the folder "music\flac\ac\dc\<album name>".

Either is wrong, as they should be in a folder named "AC-DC", since in the CD writer I have the defaults still set for that and both "/" and "\" are set to be converted to "-".

I just tested converting the flac files to MP3, to see if it applied to all batch conversions, and the files were arranged correctly after the mps conversion, ending up in the folder "music\mp3\ac-dc\<album name>".

Just to confirm the issue I did an arrange audio on those mp3 files, and they were moved to "music\mp3\ac\<album name>". So it seems the bug is specific to the [Arrange Audio] codec, and not to a type of music file. Otherwise [Arrange Audio] is an incredibly useful utility codec.

Previously under 14.2 and 14.1 I don't remember seeing this problem, but I'm not sure I applied arrange audio to AC/DC recently enough to be sure.

Thanks for any info and/or help.
    Peter S

Administrator

Re: Batch Converter ignoring restricted character conversion setting

Arrange Audio self decides the filenames, so would affect R12, R13.

Possible bug noted.

When can I expect a fix for this issue?

Administrator

Could be a while longer...

Was just going to post that I'm seeing this too and it's causing issues with conversions using Arrange Audio for me.

I was hoping it was going to be fixed in DSP R10, but the bug still exists.

Any ETA?

And is it indeed logged in the bug tracker? (I assume one exists)

Many thanks

Administrator

You need the new release of Arrange Audio which is in testing:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...gg-Wavpack-etc

Thanks Spoon

That post refers to the bug fix as:
    This update has a big fix regarding tags with / or \ and the creation of undesired subfolders.

Just for clarity, was that fixed by having Arrange Audio honor the file name restricted characters settings from cd ripper? I ask because my issue is wider than just the / and \ characters and extends to other characters substitutions I have set up in the file name restricted characters settings.

Thanks

Administrator

The only way for a folder to get split into 2 folders was with / or \, no other characters could create split folders.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough in my last post.

While I did experience the folder bug that is getting fixed (thanks), my real issue is that dMC appears to be ignoring ALL the file name restricted character substitution settings I have in CD Ripper.

I just tested this by inserting all the restricted characters into the middle of the Album tag.
    Restricted characters used " > < ? : \ / * |

When ripped with CD Ripper everything is fine - all the correct substitutions are made.

However, when I use dMC with Arrange Audio on the new rip the substitutions I have set are totally ignored and it looks like some default substitutions are use instead.
    Characters substituted for the restricted characters were ' » « ¿ ; - -
    (plus the directory split caused by the slashes)

I just re-read the thread.

When you said:
    Arrange Audio self decides the filenames, so would affect R12, R13.

Possible bug noted.
    I took this to mean that Arrange Audio self-deciding the filenames (and ignoring the CD Ripper restricted character substitutions) was the possible bug.

But are you actually saying that Arrange Audio always ignores the file name restricted characters settings from CD Ripper and this is by design?

Administrator

Arrange Audio is independent to CD Ripper and its character replacement list.

However it will have a replacement list (which cannot be edited) which is the same as CD Rippers default replacement list.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Arrange Audio is independent to CD Ripper and its character replacement list.

However it will have a replacement list (which cannot be edited) which is the same as CD Rippers default replacement list.
    Is there any chance it can either share the replacement list with CD Ripper, or, actually even better, expose the replacement list as an option as the CD Ripper does? So that users can control the replacements used without having to manually edit file names after bulk conversions?

Administrator

There is the wishlist section of this forum.