title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

R128 versus ReplayGain - Pros and Cons

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

R128 versus ReplayGain - Pros and Cons

Now that both dbpa and foobar2000 have the ability to write R128 tags for volume normalization, any pros or cons to using the new R128? Am I correct in assuming that if a player uses ReplayGain tags, it will also use R128 automatically (these are the same tags????).
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: R128 versus ReplayGain - Pros and Cons

They are the same tags, how ever R128 tends to be a lower volume than RG, so the 2 should not be mixed. R128 is thought to be more accurate at determining volume.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Spoon, I'm preparing to redo the RG analysis of my FLAC files (in batch) using EBU R128 method. I'd assumed I'd merely select them all and "covert to" ReplayGain Codec. But I notice that the options under this conversion are only the old options for RG (track gain, album gain). The conversion does not include the "use EBU R128". If I add the RG DSP on this conversion page, I can choose the R128 setting within the DSP. QUESTION: Should I convert to RG codec *and* use the RG DSP to select EBU R128? Or do I need to convert FLAC to FLAC and add the RG DSP then? (or are you planning to update the "convert to" RG codec to include the R128 and itunnorm options as well?). Thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

You would have to convert FLAC >> FLAC at this stage, until we update the utility codec.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• lasker98
          • Sep 2009

I've recently converted approximately 50k .wav files from replay gain to R128 gain using dBpoweramp batch converter. I'm very happy with the end results compared to using replay gain.

I have a couple question about the process. Are the files upsampled to 192kHz (or any other upsampling/downsampling) at some stage of the conversion? I read something about this in early posts on R128 gain on hydrogenaudio forum. Would the conversion to R128 gain be considered non-destructive, ie; nothing done to original file?

Thanks,

Bill

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by lasker98
            I've recently converted approximately 50k .wav files from replay gain to R128 gain using dBpoweramp batch converter. I'm very happy with the end results compared to using replay gain.

I have a couple question about the process. Are the files upsampled to 192kHz (or any other upsampling/downsampling) at some stage of the conversion? I read something about this in early posts on R128 gain on hydrogenaudio forum. Would the conversion to R128 gain be considered non-destructive, ie; nothing done to original file?

Thanks,

Bill
            Did you convert wav to wav with RG DSP, and r128 ticked?

Comment

• lasker98
              • Sep 2009

Yes, and used the default -23 setting.

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by lasker98
                Yes, and used the default -23 setting.
                Then you just changed the RG tags. Nothing changed about audio itself in the file. Players that are capable of using RG tags will use this info to adjust playback volume.

Comment

Working...

]]>