title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unable to get Asset UPnP to restart properly

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Unable to get Asset UPnP to restart properly

You would use asset control, it is a control point which you install onn a normal windows pc then it should find and browse asset without issues.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I installed Asset Control on my PC. It's a great controller which immediately saw my computer, the Naim streamer, and the server (WD-NAS:Administrator and WD-NAS:Storage Server)....but it didn't see Asset uPnP. Really seems to be some configuration problem with Asset uPnP. Still searching for solutions. Thanks

Administrator

It is worth checking that the 2008 machine is set to get its IP address from the router, and its IP address is on the same subnet as the other computers + Naim streamer.

As a test install Asset (the upnp server) on a different machine to the Server 2008 machine and point at a few tracks, can the Naim system see it?.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

The 2008 machine shows an IP Address on its front panel. Note that the Naim streamer does see the machine (i.e. specifying WD:NAS:StorageServer and WD-NAS:Administrator) but these inputs don't have any music. I tried changing the audio library on the 2008 server to WD-NAS\Music\WAV from D:\Serverfolders\WAV and this didn't make a difference.

I installed Asset uPnP on my desktop and Asset Control (on the PC) as well as the Naim streamer were able to see the 44 music tracks on the PC.

As I mentioned earlier, the person who set up the server said that Asset uPnP had to be set up as an add-in which I can't seem to make happen...even if it is important. I don't have a clue.

Thanks for your continued input.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Spoon: Here's a bit more information. If I remote into the Server and restart Asset uPnP, it will then appear as one of the inputs on the Naim streamer or on the iPAD's N-Stream app. When I select it, the message on the app says LOADING. After about a minute, the menu spins on its vertical axis and the message INITIALIZING, PLEASE WAIT appears. Each time I select Asset uPnP I observe this behavior, until about five minutes later when Asset uPnP disappears as an input for uPnP.

The program obviously works well on my PC, but not on the Server; from the above observations, I sense that it won't "initialize". I hope this information proves helpful.

Thanks

Administrator

You would have to look on Task Manager on the server (through remote desktop), to check that asset is running, if you restart asset it should be visible in task manager.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Spoon: I think I have had a bit of a breakthrough, although I don't know the solution:

I sat down in front of my PC with the iPAD on my lap and remoted into the Server. Task manager revealed that NO applications were running. N-stream application did NOT list Asset uPnP as an input. Using the remote access to the server, I then opened Asset uPnP configuration and restarted Asset uPnP. Much to my surprise, when Asset uPnP reappeared on the iPAD application's lists of inputs, I was able to select the input and dynamic browsing opened up!!! I was able to immediately see all of the music on the server. It worked GREAT!! I even went back to Task Manager and confirmed that Asset uPnP was listed as a running application. However, after listening for a few minutes, I logged off of the server and the program immediately shut down and access to the server was lost. Just to be sure, I remoted back into the server, hit restart Asset uPnP via the configuration, and I was able to access everything again.

I don't understand this situation, but it appears as if I have to be remotely logged into the server for Asset uPnP to work and that when I log off, the program terminates. Could this be the explanation? If so, I would assume we can change this since I shouldn't have to log on to the server every time I want to use the program. Note that Asset uPnP is set up as a local account and not a service (when I looked under service on the task manager Asset uPnP is listed, but designated as stopped...which I think is the way it should be?

Anyway, I have a sense were getting closer to a solution. I look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Asset needs to be set as a service on a system where no one is logged on

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

This seems to have solved the problem. I had tried this previously and it double counted the tracks....probably because I had failed to reset the settings on the advanced page (I hope). Thank you SO much for all of your help.