title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Only getting noise when converting to Apple Lossless (m4a)

Question Only getting noise when converting to Apple Lossless (m4a)

Hello

The title says it all - when I convert to an m4a file, all I get is loud noise in the left channel and bits and pieces of the music much softer in the right channel. Converting to flac for example is no problem. I have tried different sources like wav or flac files, both from a network drive and locally. I also tried throttling the CPU down to 1.0x, no joy. Last but not least I verified my system can playback m4a files.

The system is Windows 8 64bit Professional, and I'm using the registered version of the product. And I also did a restart after reinstalling the registered version. And I also compared a source wav file with a finished m4a file using the CRC calculator. Both show identical results for CRC32 and MD5 hash.

Regards
    Fermin

Administrator

Re: Only getting noise when converting to Apple Lossless (m4a)

What is playing the Apple Lossless file? iTunes? if not you should test to see if that can play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    What is playing the Apple Lossless file? iTunes? if not you should test to see if that can play it.
    Whooops.... :blush: Hadn't even thought of that, sorry. I used VLC, believing that this would be able to play anything (it has so far up until now); the reason I didn't want to play it back in iTunes just yet ist the way iTunes seems to grab files once they're played with it and catalog them.

All is well now, the file plays flawlessly in iTunes. Thank you very much!!

Administrator

It is a known bug in VLC (known to us)

ok, thanks for the info. Looks like VLC isn't the play-it-all software, after all ;-) But no problem, I can live with this slight limitation.