title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

"File error reading chunk" if try converting hdtracks aif 176/24 to ANYTHING else

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ehastie
    • Feb 2013

"File error reading chunk" if try converting hdtracks aif 176/24 to ANYTHING else

I've spent hours on this, reading all posts I can find. Have purchased latest software, even updated that to Release14.4 beta and dsp effects to Release 9 beta. I want to get from aif to wav, and from 176/24 to something less e.g. 88/24 or 88/16 or 44.1/16 even. I can get some other hdtrack files from 196/24 WAV to, e.g. 96/24 WAV. But not the aif file I menytioned (Brubeck's Time Out).

Also, while I'm seeking helop, another puzzlement: why does the dmc dialogue panel at the top with "uncompresserd" selected show pulldowns for bit depth and sample, yet at the bottom of the dialogue under options--> add allow selection of bit depth and resample, each with more possible values? These seem at odds. What combination should I use?

Thanks, anyone, if you can help. I've tried for hours ... and failed.

Ed
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: "File error reading chunk" if try converting hdtracks aif 176/24 to ANYTHING else

There is no error with the software, the error is in the track....

(R14.3 would have a problem creating AIFF files in some instances which was solved by R14.4, but if the AIFF already has a layout error, nothing the software can do).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ehastie
      • Feb 2013

Re: "File error reading chunk" if try converting hdtracks aif 176/24 to ANYTHING else

Thank you Spoon. But, I still have questions.

(1) I wish to convert the entire Dave Brubeck - Time Out AIFF 176/24 album (not just a single track) to WAV, at a lower bit depth and sample rate. TWO of the tracks on this album (downloaded from hdtracks), not just one track, cause the mentioned error (those TWO being track 1 and track 5, out of a total of 7 tracks); I didn't try the remaining tracks. Can it be that ALL of the tracks on this album have the error you refer to? Seems unlikely but could be I guess.

(2) Also, can you answer the question posed in my second paragraph of my original post, OR point me to somewhere that answers my question.

Again, thanks in advance for your, or anyone's, help.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

If all the tracks had the error, the converter would say so for each file.

You should ask HD Tracks to check out the file, because it is corrupted, Music Converter is just the messenger in this instance.

When converting to wave, select Uncompressed, and the other options set [as is] to match the source file.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• nudgerwilliams
          • Feb 2013

I am getting a similar error with the same hdtracks download (Brubeck - Time Out). My file is 176 / 24 WAV. When I convert to another format I get no error messages but just silent tracks (with the odd click).

Does that confirm the problem is with the original source?

Regards

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Wave is such a simple file, try playing it in Windows Media Player, if it is silent you know there is a problem with the file.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• nudgerwilliams
              • Feb 2013

Plays fine with Windows Media Player

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Then the other player is at fault.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ehastie
                  • Feb 2013

In the interest of perhaps helping others following this thread, I post the following correspondence, which I instituted following the advice given in this thread to contact hdtracks because something was wrong with their Dave Brubeck AIFF 176/24 download. See what hdtracks reported back to me:

Hi Edward,

We have switched the order to Wav. Please be sure to delete the previous tracks before re-downloading. In doing some additional research for you, it doesn't appear that DB supports 176. So that might explain the issues you are having. You might want to double check with their support to be certain. But your order is re-enabled and ready to download.

Sincerely,
                  Stephan
                  Support@

HDtracks is a high-resolution music platform for music lovers to download their favorite tracks in master studio quality. Join us today for the ultimate listening experience!

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Ed Hastie <ehastie@insightbb.com> wrote:

Thank you so much fir your prompt response. Acrually 2 different issues are at play: (1) dbpoweramp insists theres a problem with your aiff 176/24 7 track Brubeck album, hemce their software that your site touts does not work, and (2) I want the highest rez WAV version but screwef up and bought the AIFF version by mistake. Dbpoweramp woeked on the 192/24 WAV Art Blakey I recently bought from you. (I want highest rez fir my main listening room/equipment and then conversions to lower tez versions for Sonos and the like.)

So, bottom line, if you can arrange for me to "ret iu rn" the AIFF version and instead diwnload the WAV version, that's my ultimate shorterm goal.

My longer term goal is to get dbpoweramp to work as claumed. It claims ro be able to change AIFF to WAV, and to also convert bit depth and sample rate. Dbpoweramp, upon question ing, says its hd tracks problem.

Again, thank you for helping.

Ed

-------- Original message --------
                  Date:
                  To: ehastie@insightbb.com
                  Subject: Re: Contact Inquiry From HDtracks

Hi Ed,

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly. If you are interested in downloading the 88 version we will have to refund the 176. They are completely separate products by price point. This way you can purchase the version that you need. If that is what you would like to do, than we can take care of that for you.

Sincerely,
                  Stephan
                  Support@

HDtracks is a high-resolution music platform for music lovers to download their favorite tracks in master studio quality. Join us today for the ultimate listening experience!

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 7:43 PM, <ehastie@insightbb.com> wrote:

Dear Administrator,
                  We have Received a Contact Inquiry From Ed Hastie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Name: Ed Hastie

Comments: I need some help, please. I downloaded Dave Brubeck's Time Out Album on 1/17/2013 in AIFF format, 176/24. A mistake. I should have selected WAV. Your site says if wrong format ... use dbpoweramp. I've been trying to convert for couple weeks now. Only error messages. dbpoweramp forum's Spoon answered my post as follows: "File error reading chunk" if try converting hdtracks aif 176/24 to ANYTHING else Thank you Spoon. But, I still have questions. (1) I wish to convert the entire Dave Brubeck - Time Out AIFF 176/24 album (not just a single track) to WAV, at a lower bit depth and sample rate. TWO of the tracks on this album (downloaded from hdtracks), not just one track, cause the mentioned error (those TWO being track 1 and track 5, out of a total of 7 tracks); I didn't try the remaining tracks. Can it be that ALL of the tracks on this album have the error you refer to? Seems unlikely but could be I guess. (2) Also, can you answer the question posed in my second paragraph of my original post, OR point me to somewhere that answers my question. Again, thanks in advance for your, or anyone's, help. Reply Reply With Quote -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Today, 03:54 PM *4 Spoon View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message Visit Homepage Add as Contact Da Man -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Join Date Apr 2002 Posts 26,819 Re: "File error reading chunk" if try converting hdtracks aif 176/24 to ANYTHING else Reply Reply With Quote -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Today, 12:15 PM *3 ehastie View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Join Date Feb 2013 Posts 2 Re If all the tracks had the error, the converter would say so for each file. You should ask HD Tracks to check out the file, because it is corrupted, Music Converter is just the messenger in this instance. When converting to wave, select Uncompressed, and the other options set [as is] to match the source file. Spoon www.dbpoweramp.com I had trouble on first download of Brubeck. Then I got broadcast email (I think a broadcast, not just to me) about problems with this album. Tried to re-download, which effort went awry. I emailed for help. No answr from you. So I may be using the original (botched? per your broadcast email?) download. As I said, I want WAV version at 176/24. That's my goal. Again, ho[e you will help. Thanks in advanced. The Art Blakey & Jazz Messengers in WAV 196/24 download went flawlessly and is WONDERFUL!!

Email: ehastie@insightbb.com

user: [ehastie@insightbb.com]
                  OS: Windows XP UA: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Q312461; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C)

Comment

Working...

]]>