title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

a version of Asset UPnP that can run directly on a NAS

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 7ryder
    • Nov 2009

a version of Asset UPnP that can run directly on a NAS

My WHS recently died and I have moved on to a Synology 412+. I really got used to being able to stream my music without my PC on, since Asset loads and runs on a WHS. I would love a version that would run on a NAS (Synology, QNAP, etc.) so I wouldn't need to turn on my PC too. At this point, my choices are to have my PC on or use MinimServer which is ok, but not as full featured as Asset. Thanks.
  • JontyJ
    • Jul 2013

Re: a version of Asset UPnP that can run directly on a NAS

I have been impressed with dbpoweramp and asset. I have bought the former but unfortunately, much as I like it, I can't buy the latter as it doesn't run on a NAS.

Are there any plans to develop a version of Asset that would run directly on a Synology NAS (412+)? My NAS is on 24/7 but I don't want to run a PC 24/7

With NAS becoming cheaper and more popular and a move towards streaming music, I would have thought there would be reasonable demand for this

Cheers

Jon
    Last edited by JontyJ; 07-28-2013, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

No current plans
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Balderick
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Dec 2013

How about now? Now that your Qnap 4.4 is out and other Linux is ready.....

I thought that Synology out-sold Qnap.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

We do not have a release, sorry.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ac16161
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Mar 2012

Another plea here for a Synology release for Asset. I love Asset on my PC, and am in the market for buying a "proper" NAS to replace my WD MyBook. As a keen photographer, everything I read about Synology says they trounce QNAP in the iOS app arena. You may get better hardware pound for pound with QNAP but the mobile software side is not reviewed so well. I'm quite torn. I guess I can always go down the Synology + MinimServer path, but I would rather have Asset, and would happily buy another licence if there was more NAS-maker choice.

Comment

• PeterP
              Super Moderator
              • Jul 2011

If your NAS runs Linux on Intel/AMD x86 CPU, you may be able to run generic Asset for Linux on it.
              You need Asset R4.5.1 or newer [ beta forum post link ].
              I cannot tell you if it's going to work on specific NAS model, but from our in-house testing it at least runs on Intel-based QNAPs without being specifically compiled for QNAP.

However you will have to install & run it manually via SSH, rather than your NAS web interface.

Additionally, NASes tend to put your user's $HOME directory on a small RAM disk, you don't want Asset storing its library data there. If you put an empty "AssetUPnP.LocalConfig" file in the directory containing your AssetUPnP executable, it will use a subdirectory of its isntallation directory for configuration & library data instead of $HOME.
              Last edited by PeterP; 06-10-2015, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>