title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Random bursts of white noise generated

Random bursts of white noise generated

On occasion when converting from Flac to WAV the music converter generates a randomly placed short section of white noise (part of a second) Another attempt may well cause the white noise to be in another part of the file. I can't seem to find such a problem on here. Can anyone help?

Administrator

Re: Random bursts of white noise generated

It is more likely to be the player then the converter...

for a track with white noise, convert both the original flac and this problem wave file to [Calculate Audio CRC], if you do not already have it:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-utility.htm

If the CRC values are the same for both then the wave file is identical to the decoded FLAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It is more likely to be the player then the converter...

for a track with white noise, convert both the original flac and this problem wave file to [Calculate Audio CRC], if you do not already have it:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-utility.htm

If the CRC values are the same for both then the wave file is identical to the decoded FLAC.
    It's not the player. It's there in the file when viewed in Adobe Audition and when the wav file is burnt to a disc and played on a CD player.... but thanks for the CRC tip.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_t View Post
    and when the wav file is burnt to a disc and played on a CD player
    That introduces quite a few other sources of potential error. What does it sound like, played on your computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Porcus View Post
    That introduces quite a few other sources of potential error. What does it sound like, played on your computer?
    Pretty much the same as it does when played on the hi-fi. A short (milliseconds) burst of white noise.

Administrator

You need to convert the wave file + flac file to this CRC codec to find out what is contained in both.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You need to convert the wave file + flac file to this CRC codec to find out what is contained in both.
    I've tried this and when the random white noise has been generated and can be heard in the file I get a difference showing with the CRC check. On some occasions the random white noise is not generated and the CRC check shows both files are the same.

dBpoweramp Guru

If you reconvert the the noise goes away?

It might not be there if I reconvert or it might be in a different place. As I said it's random :(

Administrator

You need to try a different computer (to rule out system corruption), as:

if there was an error in FLAC decoding dBpoweramp would show this error, as FLAC contains a built in CRC which is checked at the end. So you can be 100% the FLAC decodes correctly, for WAVE this format is as simple as it gets, the data is passed straight, untouched to HDD.

I don't have another computer to try it on. However I have tried another piece of software, Switch Sound File Converter. That doesn't seem to have this problem. I have converted quite a few files and checked them with the dbpoweramp CRC checker and they are identical. After years of using dbpoweramp I am disappointed that I seem to have to start using something else now.