title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Discogs, Russian CDs, submitting to freedb?

Discogs, Russian CDs, submitting to freedb?

I am a heavy user of your software. Overall, it kicks ass!

(I'm actually writing a book on music collecting and plan to write a section specifically about this software).

Here's a situation I face often.

I have an Asian or Russian CD which I rip. Either dbpoweramp can't find disc information through the known sources. Or, it finds it through FREEDB, which often has the wrong encoding on it. Because I know Russian (barely!) I can often type metadata by hand (very slowly!), but I have noticed cases where DISCOGS has the CD listed while the others don't.

For example, this CD http://www.discogs.com/%D0%98%D1%80%...elease/2601476

Just wondering why dbpoweramp doesn't also search this database. Are there licensing/cost issues? I know foobar2000 lets you do this (a plugin, I thinK). Is there a way that I could import the metadata through a text file?

In this particular case I was able to use Foobar2000 to query discogs, and it found a correctly encoded metadata set.

Finally, another question. I often have to manually type in metadata manually for my CD. Often the CD is not in any of the databases (not just for Russian or international stuff, but obscure US stuff as well). Dbpoweramp lets you submit changes to freedb, but as far as I can tell, it has no way to submit a new CD via dbpoweramp to freedb. Am I missing something? Or was this a design decision?

Administrator

Re: Discogs, Russian CDs, submitting to freedb?

To look up discogs you need a artist + release name...which you would not have if the CD was not in any other databases.

You can submit with the meta drop menu >> Submit To >>

dBpoweramp Guru

But Spoon, improving metadata once the release is pinned down, that is the amazing thing about PerfectMeta, and with Discogs you usually get much better data for a given release - composer credit, featuring artists, etc.

(True, you cannot use Discogs to find another matching album to choose between, but PerfectMeta does not in any case know whether I listen to gospel or black metal.)

A few replies:

First, on the meta drop down, you have "Submit Changes to" not "Submit to" . In my version I am working with, I can only edit existing metadata and resubmit them. I can't submit a new record. (Am I mistaken?)

In the particular case I was speaking about, Freedb did have a record, but the encoding was wrong. discogs had the record with correct encoding.

Administrator

If you type a new record you should be able to submit.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by idiotprogrammer View Post
    In the particular case I was speaking about, Freedb did have a record, but the encoding was wrong.
    You cannot submit corrections to freedb (that's why you see the same rock record with better spelling filed in the Classical or Misc database - people rather submit the right metadata to the wrong base, because they cannot correct the one which is already there).

Allmusic does, on their web site, solicit corrections, but I do not know whether they actually read correction suggestions submitted from dBpoweramp.

I created another thread about the freedb submission problem http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...-to-freedb-etc

Quote Originally Posted by Porcus View Post
    But Spoon, improving metadata once the release is pinned down, that is the amazing thing about PerfectMeta, and with Discogs you usually get much better data for a given release - composer credit, featuring artists, etc.
    lookup can be similar to how the album art is found, that also requires that the artist and album are identified. Speaking of album art: Discogs is an excellent source of album art

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Henkjan View Post
    similar to how the album art is found, that also requires that the artist and album are identified
    Hah! There your excuse goes down the drain, Spoon :D