title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Batch Converter - update/refresh function

Batch Converter - update/refresh function

Hello everyone

I'm writing to ask if a certain feature exists. I have used BC successfully to batch convert my large folder structure of FLACs to a parallel folder structure of MP3s for itunes to consume.

(I should say here that I think dbPowerAmp and the BC tool are outstanding - thank you.)

Having got the folders all in place as above, I would like BC to run through the FLAC folder set and create/convert only those folders/tracks that don't exist in the MP3 structure. This is the equivalent of running a full conversion of the entire FLAC structure but automatically rejecting overwrites where the files exist.

I don't know if the feature exists - I've looked in the options, and in the forum - couldn't find it.

The reason I need this is that itunes (difficult product that it is) loses all my playlists when I do a full refresh of the MP3 structure - what a hassle.

Any help gratefully appreciated! Cheers

John

Administrator

Re: Batch Converter - update/refresh function

You can start the conversion, when it asks to overwrite existing click 'No to All' and only the non-existing files will be encoded.

Thanks very much. Seems obvious, but I can't get it to work...

After the BC has produced the list, I click "No to All". This deselects the entire pre-existing (very long) list. I then click "overwrite", the button appears to be pressed, but then nothing happens - the list screen remains displayed.

I've checked that there are source files in the "convert from" folder which are not on the list (ie haven't been converted before).

Any idea what I'm doing wrong...?

thanks

John

dBpoweramp Guru

To click Convert in Batch ripper, then Convert on the codec selection page, the overwrite page will show, and clicking 'no to all' will close the page, there should be no reason to click overwrite.

Ok, I'm finding the functionality of the buttons unclear from the names on them. But I think it's not working as you describe.

When I press "no to all" it deselects all the items on the overwrite list (removes the ticks).

However, that's all it does - the screen remains displayed, and the converter does not start. That is why I clicked on overwrite (to see if that would "start" the process).

So, I've now told the converter not to overwrite any existing files. How do I tell it to proceed with converting the rest? I only have 3 buttons:

CANCEL
    NO TO ALL
    OVERWRITE

Cancel aborts the whole thing. NO TO ALL and OVERWRITE now appear to do nothing.

If this is unclear I can send screenshots etc.

Thanks
    John

Administrator

A screenshot please, because I do not get this, clicking 'no to all' instantly does the conversion.

You are using R14 of dBpoweramp?

Thanks for helping. I can find no version number displayed in the application. However in /Versions I find a dMC.txt with "release 14.2" in it.

I start the converter app, select the folder to convert, etc. Then hit convert - the "checking screen" takes 3 minutes to check 17514 files (for the "+" to move from left to right).

Then:

http://tinypic.com/r/243q39s/6

I click NO TO ALL. It deselects all the files (see image below) but the dialog remains displayed:

http://tinypic.com/r/sbsobm/6

Now the functionality is weird:
    If I press:
    1) CANCEL aborts back to the "checking" dialog
    2) NO TO ALL (again): button goes blue on pressing. The "Destination File" words at the top of the screen blink once. Then nothing. Screen remains displayed as in the second pic above.
    3) OVERWRITE: button goes blue and stays blue. Nothing else happens.
    4) X (window close) - works fine - the app hasn't crashed

Something is wrong here I think.

John

Administrator

Try waiting after pressing 'No to All' for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Try waiting after pressing 'No to All' for a while

Ok, thanks for the tip. I left it for 20 minutes. It didn't work:

1) the "NO TO ALL" button appears to remain selected for a few seconds (changes to blue)
    2) it then reverts to grey (its normal colour)
    3) at the same time the "Destination File" text near the top of the screen blinks once
    4) the ConfirmFileReplace dialog remains displayed as per my post above. Only the cancel button does anything, as per the description above.

I repeated this process- same result

John

Administrator

As a test try with 1000 files only please.

Thank you for persisting. I have solved the problem.

The files to be converted are located on a Windows Home Server (2011) drive - not on the PC which runs dbpoweramp.

This drive is disappearing from availability very briefly and then reappearing (I don't know why- perhaps the drive is going into sleep mode? I will investigate). Mostly this doesn't affect anything, including my sonos system which accesses it. However, if it disappears during the processing of the long list in the dB BC "confirm overwrite" dialog discussed above, then the program's behaviour is not as expected.

I managed to fix the problem by keeping the drive active during db BC's setup process. This allowed the dialog to function as expected.

Thanks very much for the assistance.

John