title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Tag for ReplayGain

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • donstrack
    • Dec 2012

Tag for ReplayGain

Over the years, my music files have resided on four different computers (Mac and PC), and the MP3 tags are pretty messed up, especially the ReplayGain tag. I'm trying to clear the tag, and have been successful by using MP3Tag, with a custom column and tag panel entry for %REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN%, and its associated PEAK and ALBUM/GAIN, ALBUM/PEAK tags.

But after clearing the tags in MP3Tag, a check with dBpoweramp still shows a value in "replaygain_track_gain". Why is it that dBpoweramp sees the data, but MP3Tag does not?

--DS
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Tag for ReplayGain

mp3 can embed this value into the mp3 stream, it is not an editable tag.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• donstrack
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Spoon
      mp3 can embed this value into the mp3 stream, it is not an editable tag.
      A bit more research finds that Mediamonkey (which I uninstalled) stored the "replaygain_track_gain" (volume leveling) data in a generic TXXX tag. But MP3Tag does not see the TXXX tag. I assume dBpoweramp is reading that TXXX tag (TXXX="replaygain_track_gain 2.20 dB") and displaying the value. If the data was in the standard %REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN% tag, then MP3tag would see it.

Yet another reason for software to use standardized tags, instead of reading a file's metadata, and twiddling the data to make it user friendly ("Oh, this is what you really mean."), or to keep you using their software due to "user-defined" TXXX tags.

It appears that the only way to remove this non-standard ReplayGain data is to use dBpoweramp on each folder's files, but I have over 1,000 folders <sigh>. At least I'll only have to do it once (I hope).

--DS

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by donstrack
        A bit more research finds that Mediamonkey (which I uninstalled) stored the "replaygain_track_gain" (volume leveling) data in a generic TXXX tag. But MP3Tag does not see the TXXX tag. I assume dBpoweramp is reading that TXXX tag (TXXX="replaygain_track_gain 2.20 dB") and displaying the value. If the data was in the standard %REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN% tag, then MP3tag would see it.

Yet another reason for software to use standardized tags, instead of reading a file's metadata, and twiddling the data to make it user friendly ("Oh, this is what you really mean."), or to keep you using their software due to "user-defined" TXXX tags.

It appears that the only way to remove this non-standard ReplayGain data is to use dBpoweramp on each folder's files, but I have over 1,000 folders <sigh>. At least I'll only have to do it once (I hope).

--DS
        re: mp3tag not seeing the tag, I assume you've right clicked on the files and selected EXTENDED TAGS and the stay tag field does NOT show up there? If it does, you can do a batch delete from that popup screen.

Comment

• donstrack
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by garym
          re: mp3tag not seeing the tag, I assume you've right clicked on the files and selected EXTENDED TAGS and the stay tag field does NOT show up there? If it does, you can do a batch delete from that popup screen.
          Yes. MP3 does *not* see the so-called "replaygain_track_gain" tag that I see by using dBpoweramp, either in normal view, or by using the Extended Tags view. But it's in there someplace, since it keeps coming back after I "Remove" it in dBpoweramp. I suspect it's something Mediamonkey added from its "Volume Leveling" helpfulness.

Maybe I could use a hex editor like Notepad++ to see if maybe I can edit it that way. I don't mind having a ReplayGain tag and value set, it's just that some of mine are set at +15dB, or -15dB. I want to clear them all and use something like a foobar2000 ReplayGain script or plug-in to reset them.

On the MP3Tag forum, someone suggested selecting the files, then remove (red-x) all the tags, then undo the "remove" action. Apparently, MP3Tag will only add back the tags it supports.

I sure wish there was a way to view a tagged MP3 file and see all the tags, as they really are. How about something like "view tags" for normal use, then a "view advanced tags" for all full list of supported ID3 tags, and a "view really advanced tags" for a full list of all tags in the file. Any editing would be confirmed by a "Do you really, really want to edit this" dialogue box.

--DS

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

I sure wish there was a way to view a tagged MP3 file and see all the tags, as they really are. How about something like "view tags" for normal use, then a "view advanced tags" for all full list of supported ID3 tags, and a "view really advanced tags" for a full list of all tags in the file. Any editing would be confirmed by a "Do you really, really want to edit this" dialogue box.

--DS
            agree

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

what happens if you rescan these for RG tags with foobar2000 or dbpa? Does it write new (correct) tags. And perhaps those tags are used by RG compliant players and the rogue tags are ignored?

Comment

• donstrack
                • Dec 2012

what happens if you rescan these for RG tags with foobar2000 or dbpa? Does it write new (correct) tags. And perhaps those tags are used by RG compliant players and the rogue tags are ignored?
                Rescan with dBpoweramp (dbpa)? Have I missed something? All I see is "Convert To" or "Edit ID-Tag".

If you mean the %REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN% tag, then yes, nothing shows in foobar or in MP3Tag. Whatever dbpa is seeing, is likely in a TXXX user-defined tag added by Mediamonkey.

--DS

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Rescan with dBpoweramp (dbpa)? Have I missed something? All I see is "Convert To" or "Edit ID-Tag".

If you mean the %REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN% tag, then yes, nothing shows in foobar or in MP3Tag. Whatever dbpa is seeing, is likely in a TXXX user-defined tag added by Mediamonkey.

--DS
                  Use convert to but then convert to RG DSP. this just adds RG tags.

Comment

• donstrack
                    • Dec 2012

Use convert to but then convert to RG DSP. this just adds RG tags.
                    Converting with RG DSP added "regain_track_peak", which shows in dBpoweramp. But there still is not a tag that I can see.

I found a file viewer (FileTagSleuth) that at least shows "replaygain_track_gain" as a user-defined tag, but after converting, it does not show "replaygain_track_peak".

I guess I really need some help with MP3Tag to show these tags.

--DS
                    Last edited by donstrack; 12-22-2012, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• donstrack
                      • Dec 2012

Here is what MP3Diag shows.

As you can see, both the "gain" and "peak" are in there as non-standard TXXX tags.

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Install the utility codec 'id tag update' then convert all the files to this, the replaygain tags would be saved to their correct location.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• donstrack
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Spoon
                          Install the utility codec 'id tag update' then convert all the files to this, the replaygain tags would be saved to their correct location.
                          How do I implement that utility? I don't see a choice on the Convert screen.

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

Install from here:

after install it appears on the convert menu.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• donstrack
                              • Dec 2012

Thank you. I had already downloaded the 'idtag update utility' when I registered dBpoweramp 18 months ago, but never did install it.

As for my original question about clearing the rogue "replaygain-track-gain" tag apparently added by Mediamonkey as part of its volume leveling. This rogue tag is not seen by MP3Tag; only by dBpoweramp, and cannot be removed.

My solution is to roundtrip all the files in a single folder from MP3 to FLAC, then back to MP3, using dBpoweramp. The conversion takes very little time and preserves all the tags (at least the ones I use, anyway), including the embedded cover art, and the Mediamonkey-added tag is gone. If I decide to use ReplayGain, using the ReplayGain feature in dBpoweramp adds the proper tag that is seen by MP3Tag. The tag inserted by foobar2000's RepalyGain feature is also in its proper place.

--DS

Comment

Working...

]]>