title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Windows 8 and multiple cores/processors

Windows 8 and multiple cores/processors

I am trying to use a Registered Copy of Music Converter 14.3 with Windows 8

It was updated from Version 14.2

For a while windows 8 allowed me to use multiple cores/processors but now it has stopped.

Any suggestions?

Administrator

Re: Windows 8 and multiple cores/processors

In what way stopped?

If you convert to lossless, then the converter does not use multiple cores as the SSD or HDD is slower than the encoder.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    In what way stopped?

If you convert to lossless, then the converter does not use multiple cores as the SSD or HDD is slower than the encoder.

I am only talking about converting .wav or .flac to lame .mp3s.

Not that it matters but I always rip CD to .flac with EAC first.

It now makes mp3 one at a time not as 8 simultaneously as it did for a while in windows 8 and always does with windows 7.

I think I am going to downgrade this new computer to windows 7 and add an ssd at the same time...........

thanks so far - srenovo
    Last edited by srenovo; 12-19-2012 at 07:11 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

none of my business, but why would you use EAC to rip CDs to FLAC when you own dbpa? Seems odd.

edit: And when I convert FLAC files to mp3 with dbpa converter, I'm using multiple cores and can see this working properly. But I am using Win7(64).
    Last edited by garym; 12-19-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Administrator

Check that dBpoweramp is still showing as Registered (as is required for multi cpu encoding), open 'dBpoweramp Configuration' then look at the Registration status.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    none of my business, but why would you use EAC to rip CDs to FLAC when you own dbpa? Seems odd.

edit: And when I convert FLAC files to mp3 with dbpa converter, I'm using multiple cores and can see this working properly. But I am using Win7(64).

I use EAC for ripping original CDs as EAC is - as far as I can determine - the most accurate ripping program and one's rips can be compared to a comprehensive data base to determine the accuracy of the rip.

Thanks for asking

Thank you for this comment - in fact I had to download and reinstall from the illustrate web site and it once again works.

Now if I could only solve my windows 8 problems - I tried that forum and had no luck

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by srenovo View Post
    I use EAC for ripping original CDs as EAC is - as far as I can determine - the most accurate ripping program and one's rips can be compared to a comprehensive data base to determine the accuracy of the rip.

Thanks for asking
    Hmmm. That describes dbpa as well. And spoon created the accuraterip database. But both EAC and dbpa are very good secure rippers. Dbpa has better access to metadata however.

Hmmm. That describes dbpa as well. And spoon created the accuraterip database. But both EAC and dbpa are very good secure rippers. Dbpa has better access to metadata however.
    Don't know Spoon.

I have been using EAC since I started my music quest back in the 1990s. I only stumbled upon db poweramp & music converter a while later.

All my rips are run through Tag & Rename so that they are tagged the way that I want them i.e. Track*, Artist, Title with a folder image and an album image attached to each tag as well as the other usual tag info.

I have been using Tag & Rename to do this for years. Using this program gives me access to three tag sources and T&R will access IE to find a bunch of album cover images to chose from.

I have never really taken the time to completely explore dBPA

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by srenovo View Post
    Don't know Spoon.

I have been using EAC since I started my music quest back in the 1990s. I only stumbled upon db poweramp & music converter a while later.

All my rips are run through Tag & Rename so that they are tagged the way that I want them i.e. Track*, Artist, Title with a folder image and an album image attached to each tag as well as the other usual tag info.

I have been using Tag & Rename to do this for years. Using this program gives me access to three tag sources and T&R will access IE to find a bunch of album cover images to chose from.

I have never really taken the time to completely explore dBPA
    Spoon is the author of dbpa and the guy behind the AccurateRip database. Your workflow is fine. My only point is that all the folks on the web that are serious about ripping, digital music files, etc. (e.g., the folks at hydrogenaudio.org) recommend either EAC or dbpa. You use the EAC path and it is definitely a way to get bitperfect secure rips. My only interest in the thread was to point out that dbpa *also* is well known as a bitperfect, secure ripper that uses accuraterip (the latter being an important point).

Spoon is the author of dbpa and the guy behind the AccurateRip database. Your workflow is fine. My only point is that all the folks on the web that are serious about ripping, digital music files, etc. (e.g., the folks at hydrogenaudio.org) recommend either EAC or dbpa. You use the EAC path and it is definitely a way to get bitperfect secure rips. My only interest in the thread was to point out that dbpa *also* is well known as a bitperfect, secure ripper that uses accuraterip (the latter being an important point).
    I thank you for that info - what setting does one use for dBPA to get the most accurate flac rips AND is it any faster than eac?

After ripping 2429 albums to .flac (with EAC) and then to MP3 (done with MC) the ability to rip more quickly BUT accurately would be welcome.

I much enjoy the searching of flea markets, yard sales, and pawn shops for albums plus the more than occasional eBay purchase as well as dozens of birthday and Xmas presents and 17 plus years of ripping have made for a great collection. I seldom listen to classical almost all rock, country, R&B

My latest challenge is to collect much of the top pop hits for the 50s through the 1990s - I have a buddy who has a 20,000 + album/tap (reel to reel) collection who lets me drag my notebook with external audio card and hook up to his super duper turntable and record songs that are very hard to find. Problem is - he lives 85 miles away from me... then there is the fun of working with Audigy to clean the clicks and pops and convert to .flac from .wav. Joel Whitburn's books are an invaluable aid.

With a back that tolerates only so much standing I am glad for this hobby.

dBpoweramp Guru

See links below for setup info and more info. I use the "ultra secure" setting. This first rips and compares to accurateRip database. If a match, then it is done (so this is very fast). If not an accuraterip match, it does some additional passes and compares, etc. When done you either have an accuraterip match (if possible from database), or it reports SECURE (multiple passes give same CRC), or ERROR. Lots of info in the links below.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper-setup-guide.htm
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/spoons-aud...cd-ripping.htm
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/spoons-audio-guide.htm

p.s. sounds like a great hobby....lots of great music never made it to CD. By the way, check out this site for some legal downloads of often rare stuff, including old time radio and lots of live shows:
    http://archive.org/details/audio