title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

All converted files in my iTunes library have been labelled "Explicit" by iTunes 11

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ripadeedoodah
    • Sep 2012

Re: All converted files in my iTunes library have been labelled "Explicit" by iTunes

YES! Thanks to you, garym, and others that helped, I have FINALLY got rid of the "explicit" ratings! I just took a deep breath and deleted every damn thing and then used the "Add to library" feature to add the newly edited folder like you said and everything seems to be in place, sans the "explicit" tags.

Best Christmas present ever! (Well, a slight exaggeration, maybe, but still a big relief.)

My only question now is, how can I stop this happening again? Presumably I need to download a new version of dBpoweramp but is it only the beta version that will work without the "explicit" tags or can I go with the latest official release?

Many thanks again to all for your patience and especially garym.

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Re: All converted files in my iTunes library have been labelled "Explicit" by iTunes

Originally posted by ripadeedoodah
      YES! Thanks to you, garym, and others that helped, I have FINALLY got rid of the "explicit" ratings! I just took a deep breath and deleted every damn thing and then used the "Add to library" feature to add the newly edited folder like you said and everything seems to be in place, sans the "explicit" tags.

Best Christmas present ever! (Well, a slight exaggeration, maybe, but still a big relief.)

My only question now is, how can I stop this happening again? Presumably I need to download a new version of dBpoweramp but is it only the beta version that will work without the "explicit" tags or can I go with the latest official release?

Many thanks again to all for your patience and especially garym.
      Great news. I'm glad you persevered and it is working. I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that you need the dbpa 14.4 beta to avoid this happening again. You can either install it now (if you want to convert files for itunes now), or wait until the 14.4 becomes official (but in the meantime, don't convert any files with 14.3 for use in itunes).

Comment

• Balok
        • Mar 2007

In dbpa 14.4Beta, I selected Options, then under Meta Data I clicked Options next to Meta Data & ID Tag. You have to click it twice; the interface is odd. The first click turns it from a word to a button, and the second click operates the button. This brings up 'Meta Data & ID Tag Options'. Near the bottom is 'Custom and Fixed Value Tags'. I clicked 'Add Custom Tag' (twice, as above) and typed 'Content Rating' and hit Enter. Then I put '0' in the value field that appeared. I don't know if this is strictly necessary or not. When I fly over a track ripped with this setting. 'Content Rating' appears in the 'Tool Tip' window with a value of 'None'.

So far I have ripped two albums this way, and neither has shown up with Explicit tags. That could be because of what I described above, or it could be that 14.4Beta corrected a bug. I don't know. I just think of it as the 'Belt and Suspenders' plan...

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Balok
          In dbpa 14.4Beta, I selected Options, then under Meta Data I clicked Options next to Meta Data & ID Tag. You have to click it twice; the interface is odd. The first click turns it from a word to a button, and the second click operates the button. This brings up 'Meta Data & ID Tag Options'. Near the bottom is 'Custom and Fixed Value Tags'. I clicked 'Add Custom Tag' (twice, as above) and typed 'Content Rating' and hit Enter. Then I put '0' in the value field that appeared. I don't know if this is strictly necessary or not. When I fly over a track ripped with this setting. 'Content Rating' appears in the 'Tool Tip' window with a value of 'None'.

So far I have ripped two albums this way, and neither has shown up with Explicit tags. That could be because of what I described above, or it could be that 14.4Beta corrected a bug. I don't know. I just think of it as the 'Belt and Suspenders' plan...
          I haven't had to deal with this, but I'd be surprised if your steps were required. I got the idea that 14.4 would simply not add these erroneous content rating fields by default. It would be very strange if every user had to use the steps you outline to keep explicit tags from being added in itunes. Perhaps you can test the next rip without the custom tag steps to see if they are really needed. Thanks.

Comment

• ripadeedoodah
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Balok
            I have never used MP3Tag. Years ago, possibly before MP3Tag existed, I bought a tool called Tag&Rename for this purpose. It does not allow you to edit metadata it does not understand. There are two basic design choices: provide a means to edit tags a tool does not understand, or ignore such tags. There are valid arguments for either choice; Tag&Rename chose to ignore these tags. So there was no way to use it to get rid of the ratings. But ID Tag Update does allow you to make such edits.

I used ID Tag Update as described above, to delete the tag named 'Content Rating'. I have not used this codec except to delete this specific tag, so I don't know how its modify and add features work. I got the name of that tag from Spoon's earlier post. I did not do anything with a tag named ITUNESADVISORY.

Inside iTunes I deleted the songs. Because iTunes does not manage my folders (I found the design choices its developers made irritating), deleting the tracks has no effect on the underlying files. Then I dragged the folder containing them back into iTunes, which as you may know causes iTunes to scan the folder and add any compatible tracks to its library. If iTunes is managing the media folders then it will likely ask if you want to delete the associated files. I did not have to delete any part of the iTunes library, so I can't offer you good advice on how to do that successfully.

I am a little puzzled as to why dbPoweramp would even create any sort of content rating. First off, where would it get the correct values? Second, I'll handle the censorship, thanks! Maybe that's the bug that's why Spoon says you need 14.4Beta?
            Sorry, I hadn't seen this post when I posted my previous post.

Two things:

1. You say you deleted the tag named CONTENT RATING. Garym talks about this tag name, too. But when, in Windows 7, I use MP3tag to view the extended tags on all my files ripped with dbpa, I do not see this tag name on any of them. This includes music files that have never been sent to my iMac or iTunes - only copies of them have been sent and the originals are still in Windows. The tag I DO see on them is ITUNESADVISORY and this is the one with the 10 rating which appears to be causing all the trouble. I changed the rating to 0 and now the tag has disappeared altogether. So I don't really understand the references to a CONTENT RATING tag - unless of course it's the same tag as ITUNESADVISORY but MP3tag simply gives it a different name. I think this must be the answer.

2. Like you, I'm also puzzled as to why dbpa creates a content rating and even more puzzled as to where it gets its values from. I think it's helpful to be able to add a content rating but I agree, I think it's something that should be controlled by users, not by self-appointed censors. The trouble is, I suppose, children may be using iTunes so it's a well-intentioned attempt to protect them.

I think for the time being I'll use the latest official release of dbpa and use MP3tag to check the tagging before passing on the files to iTunes. My guess is that this will be fixed in the not too distant future, if it hasn't already, so it'll only be a small and temporary inconvenience.

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ripadeedoodah
              Sorry, I hadn't seen this post when I posted my previous post.

Two things:

1. You say you deleted the tag named CONTENT RATING. Garym talks about this tag name, too. But when, in Windows 7, I use MP3tag to view the extended tags on all my files ripped with dbpa, I do not see this tag name on any of them. This includes music files that have never been sent to my iMac or iTunes - only copies of them have been sent and the originals are still in Windows. The tag I DO see on them is ITUNESADVISORY and this is the one with the 10 rating which appears to be causing all the trouble. I changed the rating to 0 and now the tag has disappeared altogether. So I don't really understand the references to a CONTENT RATING tag - unless of course it's the same tag as ITUNESADVISORY but MP3tag simply gives it a different name. I think this must be the answer.

2. Like you, I'm also puzzled as to why dbpa creates a content rating and even more puzzled as to where it gets its values from. I think it's helpful to be able to add a content rating but I agree, I think it's something that should be controlled by users, not by self-appointed censors. The trouble is, I suppose, children may be using iTunes so it's a well-intentioned attempt to protect them.

I think for the time being I'll use the latest official release of dbpa and use MP3tag to check the tagging before passing on the files to iTunes. My guess is that this will be fixed in the not too distant future, if it hasn't already, so it'll only be a small and temporary inconvenience.
              I think content rating is same as itunesadvisory. There are lots of itunes tag names that are not the official tag name (which is what mp3tag uses). Based on what I've read, all these problems were caused by unintentional bug in dbpa. This is evidently solved in 14.4beta (and of course will be solved in 14.4 official when it comes out).

Comment

• ripadeedoodah
                • Sep 2012

OK, all good, thanks garym.

Comment

Working...

]]>