title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: linux port for dbpoweramp

Unregistered

linux port for dbpoweramp

i really would like to see a linux version of dbpoweramp. have you thought of creating one? linux is starting to get more popular now, considdering windows is getting more like crap. please considder creating a linux port, the linux community would appreciate it

Smile linux porting

I use linux and Windows 2000. I use Windows because I need to use dbpoweramp, it's the best converter.

Unfortunately, just converting dbpoweramp to linux wouldn't do the trick. all of the codecs that are used to convert the music are actually small windows programs. All of those would have to be ported to linux.

Or, if dbpoweramp was able to be ported, it could use all of the codecs that have already been developed for linux.

For faster devlopment and porting to other OSs, the creator of dbpoweramp may want to consider licensing the program under GPL (General Public License) or the LGPL (Lesser General Public License).

If this were to happen, there are literally thousands of open source developers who like to work on projecst like this. An added bounus would be that there would be free help and devlopment, but the author of dbpoweramp would still have control of the program.

Somthing to think about.

I'd purchase a quality Linux port of dbPowerAmp

I don't expect this ever will happen, but if it did I'd be the happiest puppy on the block.

I currently encode at work and migrate everything to my home box, which is Linux (new distro every few months, usually Red Hat) with the Gnome desktop. XMMS is my player; I've encoded using gRip but found it unstable.

yes!

This would be a good thing...
    one less reason to visit the windows partition!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Doesn't it work via WINE?

got dbpoweramp to run under linux

I got dbpoweramp running on linux flawlessly. I had absolutly no problems running this. You can't however, right click on the file and select convert, it still has to be run from the shell, but you can select the files you want to convert.

Just install dbpoweramp on the windows side and run it under linux with latest version of WINE

Re: linux port for dbpoweramp

I no longer use microShaft winBlows!

So... I will wait until either these guys port their software over or someone else does it first.

The first one in is the winner!

:lustig12: Lets go! Where is it?

There are now only a couple of programs keeping me tied to a Windows platform - I can count them on one hand and dBpowerAMP is one of them.

I think all the codecs, or at least most of them, have equivalents under Linux. I would like to see dBpowerAMP appear as a Debian/Ubuntu application. I would like to leave Windows behind, and never look back.

I just cannot see myself installing Windows on another computer that I purchase ever again.

It is time to evolve or perish ... ok, I maybe I am overselling the idea

-Ron

As it has been said before, there is one guy working on all of the Illustrate products, Spoon. Whether dMC makes it to another platform is highly doubtful.

Also, one codec that doesn't have an equivalent, at least not an encoding equivalent, is the WMA codec.

I would love to see this come to Linux as well. Linux is becoming more and more popular. Dell's pushing them on a few of their systems already. When the future of windows has DRM, requires hardware that most people don't have, is filled with spyware and has weak security and to top it all off it can cost anywhere from 100-400 dollars it's digging it self in a hole that it is getting harder to get out of. Those in emerging countries such as Brazil, India, China...etc that may not have had the money to get a legit copy of windows, still could get a copy, now with Vista they have increased the registration, which makes it harder for people in countries who can't afford to fork over that money run the software.

Therefore you don't have to be a rock scientist to understand that Linux is taking off. Ever wanted a free operating system that doesn't have spyware, no virus, more secure, faster file system without defragging, gives you flexibility in what you want. I've meet more people who are switching to linux this year than ever before. Could be because linux does offer you so much for free or could be that everybody is avoiding windows vista. Eitherway I think most people would love to see dbpoweramp in linux.

It doesn't have to be the same version as the windows version even if somethings are missing. Nero has a linux version, personally I think it's crappy, but it's easy to see that more and more people out there are making linux applications.

Linux still has a very small percentage of the OS market. Also, there is still only one developer.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    Linux still has a very small percentage of the OS market. Also, there is still only one developer.
    The best approach with the above in mind is to find out if Wine properly supports the device calls that allow for SPTI and/or Windows Internal I/O. If so, it's quite possible you could get it working under certain linux distributions as-is.

-brendan

Lightbulb Re: got dbpoweramp to run under linux

Has anyone tried dbpoweramp running in Windows in a virtual machine within Linux? Is performance acceptable?
    Quote Originally Posted by tfolck
    I got dbpoweramp running on linux flawlessly. I had absolutly no problems running this. You can't however, right click on the file and select convert, it still has to be run from the shell, but you can select the files you want to convert.

Just install dbpoweramp on the windows side and run it under linux with latest version of WINE

Administrator

Re: got dbpoweramp to run under linux

Virtual Machines run natively on the CPU so performance should be only a few % less than a normal PC (assuming you have the ram).

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    Also, one codec that doesn't have an equivalent, at least not an encoding equivalent, is the WMA codec.
    Although to be honest, anyone using Linux as their primary OS probably isn't going to be encoding a lot of Windows Media files. ;-) Since you can PLAY WMA files in Linux, surely that means there's a decoder that could be used to convert WMA files into something else.

Part of what makes DMC cool though is how it's built into Windows Explorer and not a separate app to deal with. If it were ported to Linux, I think the developer would need to take into account all the various window/file managers out there to get the same ease of use we currently have in Windows. Personally though, even if it were ported to work with Gnome and it's file manager, that'd be enough for me. Then even if I used something other than Gnome (ie. KDE, Enlightenment, etc), I would have the option of installing the Gnome bits to make it work. That'd be a lot easier than having to keep a Windows installation around for audio ripping/encoding!

I'm just thinking out loud though... We don't want Spoon to spread himself too thin and sacrifice the quality of the product on one platform just so he can say it runs on another. I'll take quality over quantity any day!

Aaron