title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: "Delete old versions of my files" deleted the ONLY versions of my files

"Delete old versions of my files" deleted the ONLY versions of my files

Spoon:

Windows 7/64 running AudioSafe Client beta 13.

I uploaded my entire 400 GB collection to AudioSafe a year ago, and since then I've acquired and ripped another 30GB or so. I always upload my new files immediately, so the AudioSafe client usually says that my status is "100% complete".

Occasionally I modify file tags. After AudioSafe Client automatically uploads those changed files, I try to remember to execute the "Delete old versions of my files from the server" command. Today I realized that I'd recently modified the tags of a few (maybe ten or twenty) albums worth of files without deleting old versions, so I clicked "Delete old versions of my files from the server" on the Tools menu, clicked Select All without checking the list of files, then clicked Delete Copies. A minute or two elapsed -- much longer than the deletion of 100-200 files should have taken -- so I hit Cancel.

Imagine my surprise when the AudioSafe Client then told me that my upload was "68% completed, backing up". It had apparently deleted 32% of my collection!

I then clicked the "Delete old versions" item again and looked at the list this time. AudioSafe Client showed only a few files, all recently added or modified. I deleted them and tried again, and was told that no old versions of my files were being maintained by AudioSafe... But 32% of my library is still missing.

AudioSafe Client is now re-uploading the 150GB or so that was deleted; I expect that that process will be significantly faster now than it was a year ago, but it's still going to be a drag, and I wouldn't want anyone else to have to do it... So if there's anything I can do to help you track down this issue, please let me know.

Thanks.

Administrator

Re: "Delete old versions of my files" deleted the ONLY versions of my files

Over the course of time we have changed the information stored on the back end, as your stored details were not the latest, it is possible an action like this would cause a full resync.

Re: "Delete old versions of my files" deleted the ONLY versions of my files

Thanks for the explanation, Spoon. I'm glad to know it's not a bug that might arbitrarily delete my backup files unexpectedly.

By the way, the upload does seem faster this time, presumably because there's so much more data in your repository now than when I first uploaded my files. A year ago it was uploading just under 1% a day, but now it's uploading at least twice that much per day at the same ~600kbps rate.