title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Export Settings?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toNka64
    • Mar 2007

Export Settings?

Is there a way to export settings?
    This would be very helpful for the CD ripper.
    I had to reinstall everything due to a HDD crash and ticking all the right boxes and getting my naming scheme just the way I like it took considerable time.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Export Settings?

HKCU\Software\Illustrate

in the registry.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• toNka64
      • Mar 2007

Thanks, that works.
      You may want to make an option for those who don't like messing around with regedit.

Comment

• FlowBizkit
        • Jun 2013

Hi there,

same thing here. Is it correct that the illustrate.reg is just round about 16KB?
        And how will I be able to import it again?

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

You need to install the registered version to make sure it is registered.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BrodyBoy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by FlowBizkit
            Hi there,

same thing here. Is it correct that the illustrate.reg is just round about 16KB?
            And how will I be able to import it again?
            I suspect the size could vary a bit depending on how extensively a user customizes their configuration.

When you export the relevant registry entry, it's saved (as you noted) in a .reg file. This is an executable file. So on the new computer, install dBpoweramp and make sure it's registered. Then simply run the .reg file (i.e., double-click it) and it will add its info to the registry.

Spoon:

Is there some technical reason that a configuration back-up option hasn't yet been offered in dBpoweramp? This has been a frequent request for at least has long as I've been using this program, and as toNka64 suggests, not everybody is comfortable (or competent) messing around with their registry. I'm sure you'd agree that anyone who isn't sure about what they're doing shouldn't even open the registry, let alone attempt to modify it.

Some sort of "Save Configuration" option, either in the program itself or within the configuration module, would save a lot of users a lot of headaches.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

I am of the view on a new system where CD drives are concerned, installing fresh and re configuring is the best way.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Spoon
                I am of the view on a new system where CD drives are concerned, installing fresh and re configuring is the best way.
                Of course, for the technical parameters of the particular machine. Like any other Windows program, that's why we re-install on new equipment, not simply transfer.

But the question always pertains to the extensive user settings....profiles, ID tag manipulations, etc.....that we spend a lot of time customizing and perfecting to our needs. For the registry-averse user, it's really tedious and cumbersome to go through and re-input each of these, one by one. And those recovering from a computer disaster must simply hope they can remember all the little details (which they won't if it's been awhile since they set it up).

If a configuration back-up option were implemented, you could ensure that only these kinds of user settings....not machine-specific parameters....are saved & transferred between installations. This would actually be a better safeguard against your concern that users might transfer inappropriate settings from one machine to another (as opposed hoping that they modify the right registry keys).

I realize you're aware of this long-standing request and you have long held the view you stated above. But I'd ask you to re-visit the matter and consider the needs of your customers (EVERY computer gets replaced eventually, for one reason or another), and how this type of feature could make transferring/re-installing the program a more user-friendly and less error-prone experience.

Comment

• jsmulree
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Spoon
                  I agree with your view above. However I am of the view that there should be an easy method for exporting settings that are not hardware specific. I have exported my ripper and converter profiles, however I have noticed that some values contain characters which do not export/import correctly to/from standard registration files ('.reg') files.

Please consider adding this functionality.

Cheers,

Jason.

Comment

• JustaNewUser
                    • Sep 2011

I second that. Easier backup of the profiles/settings would be most appreciated.
                    That being said, you can just dig down in the registry to the Profiles set and only export that. That way at least your profiles should be the same, right?
                    That would still require you to doube check on things like path name (maybe on the new machine you have a different drive/folder you would like to write to); as well as checking things like your settings for secure mode etc. (Especcially don't forget to check what values poweramp writes to the mp3 files! I once forgot to check this and sadly saw a lot of files with missing tags and additionally could not figure out why poweramp would not show cover art at higher resolutions, oh well live and learn)...
                    By the way, is it generally bad if you would leave non existing drives (on the new machine) in the copied registry? Crashes? Corruption?
                    Thanks

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by JustaNewUser
                      I second that. Easier backup of the profiles/settings would be most appreciated.
                      That being said, you can just dig down in the registry to the Profiles set and only export that. That way at least your profiles should be the same, right?
                      That would still require you to doube check on things like path name (maybe on the new machine you have a different drive/folder you would like to write to); as well as checking things like your settings for secure mode etc. (Especcially don't forget to check what values poweramp writes to the mp3 files! I once forgot to check this and sadly saw a lot of files with missing tags and additionally could not figure out why poweramp would not show cover art at higher resolutions, oh well live and learn)...
                      By the way, is it generally bad if you would leave non existing drives (on the new machine) in the copied registry? Crashes? Corruption?
                      Thanks
                      Your entire comment perfectly illustrates the problem, and highlights the need for a proper profiles back-up function! Thank you! (Just imagine people completely unfamiliar with the registry trying to do this stuff....)

PS: I don't think the info for the non-existing drive hurts anything, since it's essentially an unseen, non-selected drive when you rip. But others can confirm....

Comment

Working...

]]>