title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Converter shooting to 100% cpu and stuck on writing tags

Converter shooting to 100% cpu and stuck on writing tags

Hi there,

I have been using the converter for years and I'm delighted with it, never once had an issue. But that changed today. Background: I use dbPoweramp to convert FLACs to m4a for my ipod.

For the first time ever it did not work with an album I just got. It seems to be going fine, but as soon as it gets to writing tags for the first two files (out of 13) it gets stuck there. CPU usage shoots to 100% for both my cores using CoreConverter.exe. The time left starts shooting upwards like crazy - and just keeps going up. After a few minutes I stopped it - I had to kill the process *and* the CoreConverter processes which were still tearing away using up all the CPU. I've tried a few times, I upgraded from 14.2 to 14.3, rebooted - same result.

Anyone got any ideas? Suggestions?
    Thanks, Jim.

p.s. I also used mp3tag to try and rewrite all the tags. Same thing keeps happening.
    NotE: the FLACs play fine.

Re: Converter shooting to 100% cpu and stuck on writing tags

The problem seems to be with the m4a files.

What happens if you convert the FLACs to another format such as mp3?

Hi, I just tried reconverting them to FLAC in case it was the FLAC files - worked fine - then tried mp3 as you suggested, and that worked fine. But m4a still an issue. So you're right it is just m4a that behaves like this.

Just a quick note - I converted a whole pile of FLAC files to m4a earlier today in the exact same manner, so I do not know why this specific album would have issues.
    Last edited by jaygeekay; 11-02-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Here's one of the FLAC files that causes the problem - in case anyone would like to try it/look at it?

http://www.csn.ul.ie/~jim/secondproblem.flac

Jim.

Administrator

The file has album art stored incorrectly, on the files > right click >> edit tags >> and delete the item 'METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE'

I will update the next beta release to not lockup though when writing this incorrect tag to m4a.

Hi Spoon,

I actually tried deleting and recreating the majority of the tags - but never did the album art.
    Well spotted and thanks very much.

Jim.