title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Trying to rip Pink Floyd Boxed Set (Shine On)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PedroT99
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2012

Trying to rip Pink Floyd Boxed Set (Shine On)

So I'm attempting to rip my Floyd Boxed Set...Shine On. It is (sort of) unique in that unlike most sets, it is not a complilation but rather it just boxes together their 7 (plus one rare bootleg) most popular studio albums. Originally, I was going just rip them as albums since I would likely want to listen to "Dark Side of the Moon" and not "Disc 3". Also, "The Wall" is already a 2 Disc set and I didn't to browse to "Disc 2" nested inside of "Disc 6".

I was going to ask if there was a way to name it so that it said Disc 3 - Album name....although I think I can figure that out.

That said, I started ripping them to see how dBp (or the Meta Data would read it) and I got different results for each disc which I though was odd. It came up as follows.

Disc 1 - Came up as "Saucerful of Secrets" and was recognized as a standalone Studio album.
    Disc 2 - Came up as "Meddle" and was seen as the same.
    Disc 3 - Came up as Shine On (the boxed set), Disc 3. The album artwork was also for the boxed set and make it hard to browse to appropriate individual album art.
    Disc 4 and 5 also came up as part of the set.
    Disc 6 & 7 are the 1st and 2nd part of the Wall. These came up as Disc 1 & 2 of the standalone studio album. They annoying part is that Disc 1 is in AR and apparently Disc 2 is not. Who would report up the results of only the first Disc? ...and what is the likelihood that such a popular album that is so old is not in there? Even it if is a different pressing it seems unlikely with such an ubiquitous album.

My questions are...
    - how would you guys rip them? Individual studio albums or part of a set?
    - Whichever I choose, how do I force dBp to see them that way since it saw some as studio and some as part of a set?
    - Is there a trick/way I can get that 2nd half of the Wall to AR verify? I have to be doing something wrong as I'm sure it is in there! Right?

Thanks!
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Trying to rip Pink Floyd Boxed Set (Shine On)

I'd rip as individual albums and artwork. But I'd put info in comment tag re box set. And I'd identify any album tracks not on original cd with something in track title: title [bonus track]. (or something similar)

Edit: and I'd manually edit track names and album names to achieve what I wanted. These tags have nothing to do with AR verification.

Comment

• PedroT99
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jul 2012

Thanks Garym,
      I was thinking about doing that.

Any idea why one cd in my pressing of the Wall is in AR and Disc 2 is not? Is that likely or is it possible I'm doing something wrong? Bear in mind these 2 discs are still part of the Boxed set.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by PedroT99
        Thanks Garym,
        I was thinking about doing that.

Any idea why one cd in my pressing of the Wall is in AR and Disc 2 is not? Is that likely or is it possible I'm doing something wrong? Bear in mind these 2 discs are still part of the Boxed set.
        No clue

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Pedro, just for more info, I ripped the Pink Floyd Discovery Box set (14 CDs, with each ripped as if it was the "original" album). In all 14 cases, I had ample AR matches on every CD and track and all popped up as the correct album, name, art, etc. edit: and one of these 14 CDs is actually a 2 disk version of "The Wall"

Last edited by garym; 10-15-2012, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• PedroT99
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jul 2012

Perfect!

Garym, thanks for all the great info. I'll try it again. Maybe it was a fluke.

And I will be using you individual album approach. I realized that I didn't search the different meta providers which his probably why some came up individual while others came up as part of a set.

Thanks again!

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

also, after ripping and putting albums in correct subdirectories, modifying album names, etc. (in other words, getting all correct), you could then use PerfectTunes to check AR of album. (or you can use foobar2000 with the File Verify Component, and select all album tracks, right click, select utilities, then "file verify with accuraterip".

Comment

• Arnold_Layne
                • Nov 2009

This situation happens with many boxed sets that contain CD's that were also issued as stand alone. Shine on box set contains remasters of various studio albums. Some of those remasters were issued later as stand alone releases. For example, the Pink Floyd Immersion sets contain the same studio discs as the Experience editions and the Discovery box set. dbpoweramp's metadata providers do not know which release the disc is from so you will have to modify the metadata. I also have the Shine On box set. I kept each disc as identified as 1/1 (except for the wall) and added (Shine On Box) to the album title.

Comment

Working...

]]>