title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

please consider a more compatible separator in multivalue tag fields

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twit
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2010

please consider a more compatible separator in multivalue tag fields

I recognize that DMC writes the forward slash character as a multivalue separator as is defined in the ID3v2.3 documentation, but it seems DMC is the one of the few if not only major application to use it: foobar2000 writes space forward slash space (to avoid confusion with artist names like "AC/DC"), and mp3tag writes the null character (to avoid confusion with any user character) for id3v2.3 tags. As a result, currently after users convert FLAC files with multivalue tags edited in foobar2000 or mp3tag to MP3 using DMC and ID3v2.3 tags, one must manually reedit the MP3 files to replace the forward slash characters.

I appreciate the greater compatibility that foobar2000, mp3tag and DMC have achieved the last few years - it's been a huge help and I think helps lock in loyalty and continued use of these three complementary applications. So without looking unappreciative, please consider writing a id3v2.3 multivalue separator that is compatible across mp3tag, foobar2000 and DMC. Perhaps use the null character as mp3tag does, since that's also what id3v2.4 recommends, it'll never be confused with any character in an artist name, and foobar2000 recognizes it. But ultimately I don't care what it is, and since I'm not an expert in the ripple effects of such a change - if there is a more robust and elegant way to achieve compatibility across these 3 applications in this area, please consider whatever is necessary that you feel is best. If you feel the best solution is to have one of the other applications change, please let us know so we can lobby for that. thanks!
Working...

]]>