title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Tags with multiple values

Tags with multiple values

Hello,
    Am new at posting. Am looking forward to version 15 and would request the consideration of all tags written to FLAC files (including those created by the user) with multiple values are written as separate tags in keeping with the recommended practice for Vorbis Comments. When multiple values are entered, a consistent separator such as a semicolon followed by a space should be used. thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Tags with multiple values

Quote Originally Posted by bjt2006 View Post
    Hello,
    Am new at posting. Am looking forward to version 15 and would request the consideration of all tags written to FLAC files (including those created by the user) with multiple values are written as separate tags in keeping with the recommended practice for Vorbis Comments. When multiple values are entered, a consistent separator such as a semicolon followed by a space should be used. thanks
    Hmmm, it seems that dbpa already does that for my FLAC files with multiple tag values. What is not working on your end?

When entering the values for a custom tag entry, a long Vorbis comment results rather what occurs when entering values for a "standard" tag. How the "standardized" Composer field in dBpoweramp results in FLAC tags, when there are more than one composer, compared to the results when using a customized field entry in dBpoweramp such as Performer, when there are more than one performer, seems to be different. Composer 1; Composer 2 results in FLAC tags Composer=Composer 1 and Composer=Composer 2. Yet using the customized field of Performer 1 (lead vocals, Instrument 1); Performer 2 (Instrument 2) results in a long Vorbis comment of PERFORMER=Performer1 (Lead vocals, Instrument1); Performer2 (Instrument2). Hope I'm describing this clearly.

Administrator

R14.3 should do as you require, that was one of the changes to FLAC tagging.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Grass Valley / Nevada City, California USA

Using the "usual" separator (a semi-colon followed by a space) works for some tags like COMPOSER and STYLE, but does not work for user-created FLAC tags such as ARRANGER, PERFORMER or PRODUCER. It also does not split multiple values for LABEL, COPYRIGHT and COMMENT.

A given album may have, for example, different LABEL values for Europe and the USA...and of course, for all practical purposes, there are multiple PERFORMERS on every track or album.

I agree with bjt2006. The program really ought to do the right thing for custom FLAC tags as well as the standard ones in your options list. Otherwise, I have to use something like mp3tag to edit the FLAC tags afterward.

Maybe we can look forward to this in version 15?

Thanks...
    Last edited by d2b; 10-05-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Administrator

Cause found and fixed in next beta.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Grass Valley / Nevada City, California USA

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Cause found and fixed in next beta.
    That's really good news, Spoon. Thanks! Now I won't have to use mp3tag to post-process rips to fix this.

-d2b-

So, the ";" works great to delimit multiple values in one field for FLAC. However, when I use dBpoweramp to rip to WAV or AIFF, a "/" appears instead of the ";"

I use JRiver to manage my library, and in JRiver, "/" does not work as a delimiter no matter what file format is in use.

How could I set dBpoweramp to use ";" as the delimiter in WAV and AIFF just as it does for FLAC?

Thanks!

Administrator

Flac files use vorbis comments to write ID tags, the correct way to represent multiple artists internally are:

ARTIST=someartist1
    ARTIST=someartist2

AIFF and WAVE use an ID3 chunk, and the correct internal spec for ID3v2 tags are:

someartist1/someartist2

Externally in dBpoweramp you would write in the tag editor as: someartist1; someartist2

and dBpoweramp would write correctly for the format being used. JRiver has been around for a long time, you would expect them to follow the standards of the last 15 years, if not you can report this information to them incase they are not aware of these standards.

Interesting, did not know that. Thank you for the info and reply, as always.

In any case, I know dBPoweramp has powerful features for swapping information to and from different fields, and replacing certain characters with others if you assign it to do that.

Any clever way to use that to achieve this goal?

In JRiver, they just use the semicolon as a universal delimiter (in certain fields which are designated as semicolon delimited). Probably because in many cases, people use the "/" character not as a delimiter but as something that we want to actually read. Like genre: "Rock/Pop"...not meant to be 2 separate entries. Or Artist: "AC/DC"

So, usually, when I work with AIFF & WAVE I just do a batch find & replace in JRiver to replace the "/" with ";" but it doesn't account for those few instances where we actually WANT to see the "/"

Not a huge deal, but would be a great feature for users to be able to customize the way dBpoweramp ouputs metadata, since most users have libraries with multiple file types, and I believe most library management software treats all file types & metadata formats the same way in the UI.

Cheers!

Administrator

You can try tagging as:

artist1;artist2

with no space.