title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Asset UPnP For OSX (MAC)

Thumbs up Re: Asset UPnP For OSX (MAC)

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Not currently, once we feel it is stable enough we will release the full version...
    Thanks. Looking forward to further developments. Your server seems the only one with user friendly transcoding settings and Apple Lossless support up to 96/24. Hope it doesn't take too long to stabilise.

Re: Asset UPnP For OSX (MAC)

Quote Originally Posted by amosh View Post
    Thanks. Looking forward to further developments. Your server seems the only one with user friendly transcoding settings and Apple Lossless support up to 96/24. Hope it doesn't take too long to stabilise.
    i confirm.

it works perfectly with the player pioneer n-50. The only problem so far the wake on lan does not work and when the mac goes to sleep the music stops
    Last edited by bilbo.k12; 03-30-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo.k12 View Post
    i confirm.

it works perfectly with the player pioneer n-50. The only problem so far the wake on lan does not work and when the mac goes to sleep the music stops
    Try these settings: Go to System Preferences: Energy Saver.

-- Set 'Computer Sleep' to Never.
    -- Set 'Display Sleep' to any time you like.
    -- Set 'Put hard disks to Sleep when possible' to checked (on).
    -- Set 'Wake for network access' to checked (on).

I have never experienced any problem with accessing Asset UPNP when the screen and drives are asleep. My library is on an external Firewire 800 disk drive, it just spins up when called upon by Asset.

Thank you for this answer, if I actually disables sleep mode it will work.

I seek rather something that works like itune and remote, when itune stream music to airplay the mac cannot go to sleep mode and when remote starts the mac wakes up if it was in standby mode.

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this isn't the correct place to ask this but how do you run Asset UPnP on a Mac? I'm afraid I'm a real newbie at this kind of stuff.

I'd like to set up my network with cable rather than going wireless. I'm thinking about the Synology DS212j as my NAS drive with the FLAC files installed on it.

With Asset installed on a macbook air, I can connect a USB cable to the NAS. The NAS then connects via Cat5 to an Apple Airport Extreme.

Is this correct?

Then, the Apple Airport Extreme runs another Cat5 cable to a network player of some sort. The network player then allows you to select and play the music.

Do I have all this right?

If anyone could look at this set up and tell me if this is the best way of doing things or if there is some other, I'd most appreciate it.

Jason

dBpoweramp Guru

To not use wireless the MBA would have to be wired into the network, as it becomes the source for files.

Greetings. I am having trouble with Asset not finding all of my music files. I have about 12000 tracks/files on a USB drive. With limited success I have been running the WinXP AssetUPnP Premium in Crossover on my Macbook running OSX Lion 10.7.5. I Downloaded the Mac beta today for a trial. After configuring AssetUPnP, it scanned my library - never reported finishing from the local web page after a couple hours (should it take longer? I don't think the WinXP version in Crossover took this long on same library). I did find AssetUPnP with the name ending in .local from my controller, but only a few dozen albums were found - of which most can then be played OK on my Naim UnitiQute. There has been no further change in the number of tracks.

I see same browse listing from both Naim n-Stream and PlugPlayer controllers, on my iPad.

I am going to force a rescan, and look again in the morning...

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
    Greetings. I am having trouble with Asset not finding all of my music files. I have about 12000 tracks/files on a USB drive. With limited success I have been running the WinXP AssetUPnP Premium in Crossover on my Macbook running OSX Lion 10.7.5. I Downloaded the Mac beta today for a trial. After configuring AssetUPnP, it scanned my library - never reported finishing from the local web page after a couple hours (should it take longer? I don't think the WinXP version in Crossover took this long on same library). I did find AssetUPnP with the name ending in .local from my controller, but only a few dozen albums were found - of which most can then be played OK on my Naim UnitiQute. There has been no further change in the number of tracks.

I see same browse listing from both Naim n-Stream and PlugPlayer controllers, on my iPad.

I am going to force a rescan, and look again in the morning...

Charlie
    OK - thinking more clearly in the morning. The format checkboxes are for EXCLUDE - so I had excludedmost of my library. I expect all will be well when it rescans. DUH!

Charlie

Well, after being gone all day, I returned to find the local web page still said Rescanning. Server was not found from control point. I used small AssetUPnP window (with Configure and Quit buttons) to Quit. It crashed and produced a "dump." But it seems to have restarted itself? In any case, the server is found, it seems to have all my music files and it streams. I can submit the dump if it helps.

Now, I really must have play lists, and await the released version. In the meantime, I will use this Mac version for a while to help shake it out.

Cheers,

Charlie

I lack any on-screen feedback for Asset, regarding its state or activity. There is a small window with Configure and Quit buttons that is opened at startup and vanishes when quit. The Configure button opens a web page for settings - this changes to indicate the start of an activity such as rescanning the library or making changes; but it never changes to indicate completion of the activity. Usually Access begins responding to controller requests after awhile - but I am never sure if I should keep waiting - sometimes after WAAAY too long, I just quit Asset (which always produces a system dump) and start over. Sometimes this works right away, other times like now I wonder if I need to reboot, or what?

I am willing to be more systematic if this can be helpful to developers, but lacking this assurance I have better things to do.

One quirk: see my next post on album artwork.

It has been a struggle for me to get artwork showing in my n-Stream control app on the iPad. I used script from Doug's Apple Scripts to get all available artwork into folder.jpg files in the music folders. (This after failing with the beta of PerfectTUNES in Crossover) Still most of my albums with folder.jpg files did not show artwork in n-Stream. Finally, I tried PlugPlayer as an alternative controller from the iPad, which exhibited the identical artwork behavior. It appears Asset was not sending out the artwork?

I have a mix of file formats: .aiff .m4a .wav and a very few .flac I have set Asset to transcode all but wav to the wav format.
    I changed the settings for Asset to send .m4a "as is" and then voila! these files (and possibly others? I am not sure yet) had artwork showing in the controller.

I would like to have a better understanding of how artwork is managed, communicated and displayed in this UPnP world.

Charlie

Administrator

If artwork is added after the tracks are already scanned, you would have to rescan...

OK, thanks. I think I forced a rescan to make it show up?

What happens when I rip a new disk or add new files. Is there a time lag where I can sneak in the folder.jpg file? I notice there is usually many minutes or more before the new music shows in the controller.

I switched back to the WinXP Premium version running in Crossover's XP emulation on my Macbook - and most of my artwork was gone again. I will rescan overnight.

Administrator

It could only be 60 seconds, you are best setting the art before ripping.

Hi,

Some observations. Asset Mac has now been very reliable over several weeks. Can't wait for the full version. Cover art no problems. Playback no problem as long as no forced transcoding applied. Asset appears to "know" to translate all my ALAC files to PCM for playback on my Musical Fidelity streamer. Unfortunately same can't be said for my panasonic viera tv. On the viera no AAC or alac's play only mp3's. not quite sure why Asset knows to transcode for one device but not for the other.

Main problem right now is sorting. My library is well 100% tagged with Artists and sort artists and album artist and album sort artists. However some artists just don't show up in the right places, lots of artists are appearing under "V" in the alphabet for example. These aren't only Various artists albums. I wonder if perhaps the same artist appears somewhere on a compilation album with album artist 'various artists' and that is maybe confusing Asset into placing that artist under v for all their albums. This is making finding artists tricky with so many misplaced. I might be able to work around it once the paid version is available assuming the root cause can be explained. - I have tweaked some tags and rebooted/rescanned but nothing I do will move Depeche Mode out of the V artists into the D. In the main sort artists are working fine but I think there are more misplaced items. Library approx 30000 songs, about 20% ALAC, 79% AAC and <1% mp3.

Any advice on the sorting issue?

Thanks.