title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Asset UPnP For OSX (MAC)

Administrator

Asset UPnP For OSX (MAC)

<now released>
    Last edited by Spoon; 04-24-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Re: Asset UPnP For OSX (MAC)

Hi Spoon,

That's cool! Just installed on one of my MAC servers and it seems to run just fine. One question though, for the playlists it asks for the premium registration - which I have. Where can I fill that one in?

Administrator

It will not be possible to add the registered version of this MAC version, just yet.

Fantastic that there is an OS-X version!

I've downloaded this and it runs but I'm wondering if I'm using the right format for 'Watched folders'.

All my music is on a NAS - I have therefore entered in the box //NAS_Server_Name/Folder_Name.

However it doesn't seem to be finding the music - have I got the format wrong?

Thanks

Peter-Marc

Administrator

If you type that address into Finder, can it display the files?

OK - I can see the folder in Finder as it is mounted on the Mac - I can also open it direct from its icon.

However if I type the network address (as above) in to the 'Go to folder' box it doesn't see it.

Thanks

Peter-Marc

Sorry - a little more detail. So I can connect to the folder, through Finder by using 'Connect to Server' but not using 'Go to folder'.

It may just be I have the format wrong - but I can't find anything on the web!

Normally if I wan to mount a volume (like in iTunes) it shows the same view as the main Finder window where all my NAS drives appear in the 'Shared' section. Is there any way to utilise a similar format on Assett?

Thanks

Peter-Marc

I am also having difficulty with the format of the 'folder' entry to point to my NAS.

For example in i-tunes when I point to my i-tunes music library on the same NAS, after selection via the resulting pop up 'Finder' window, i get the path statement
    "\volumes\i-Tunes"

I have tried entering a similar path statement into Asset ie "\volumes\Music" ( no "s) but Asset lists nothing.

As per Peter-Marc's request guidance on the path statement format would be a great help.

regards
    Geoff

Administrator

We are looking into this...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff P View Post
    I am also having difficulty with the format of the 'folder' entry to point to my NAS.

I have tried entering a similar path statement into Asset ie "\volumes\Music" ( no "s) but Asset lists nothing.
    Update: In Mac "Finder' in the 'GO' menu there is an item "Connect to server' this brings up a window with the path statement containing the server address which starts with

"smb://"

In my case my NAS is named 'geoff' and my music is all in a folder on there called 'music' so in Asset Config i typed in:

"smb://geoff/music"

which has produced a result. When I use this version of Asset running locally on my Mac with Kinsky DT i get albums listed with art thumbnails.

HOWEVER if I choose an album and open it and transfer the track listing into KDTs 'Play" window that all happens correctly BUT when I start playing I don't get the album I chose at all. The latest attempt for example was to play a Larry Carlton guitar album. What actually plays is a BACH album of violin works from an entirely different location in my large music folder.

I should add that I have the music in subfolders by genre so I have a sub folder called 'Classical' where the Bach would come from, whereas the Larry Carlton album I requested would come from a subfolder called 'Guitar Jazz'. Basically it seems the indexing is all screwed up.

I should also add that I am just trying out the OSX version to see how it works. The NAS is a WHS NAS and already has Asset UPnP for WHS running on it. When I call for the same Larry Carlton using the NAS resident WHS version of Asset I get exactly what I asked for.

Is it possible the OSX Asset is interacting badly with the NAS resident WHS version?

regards
    Geoff

Update: In Mac "Finder' in the 'GO' menu there is an item "Connect to server' this brings up a window with the path statement containing the server address which starts with

"smb://"

In my case my NAS is named 'geoff' and my music is all in a folder on there called 'music' so in Asset Config i typed in:

"smb://geoff/music"

which has produced a result. When I use this version of Asset running locally on my Mac with Kinsky DT i get albums listed with art thumbnails.

HOWEVER if I choose an album and open it and transfer the track listing into KDTs 'Play" window that all happens correctly BUT when I start playing I don't get the album I chose at all. The latest attempt for example was to play a Larry Carlton guitar album. What actually plays is a BACH album of violin works from an entirely different location in my large music folder.

I should add that I have the music in subfolders by genre so I have a sub folder called 'Classical' where the Bach would come from, whereas the Larry Carlton album I requested would come from a subfolder called 'Guitar Jazz'. Basically it seems the indexing is all screwed up.

I should also add that I am just trying out the OSX version to see how it works. The NAS is a WHS NAS and already has Asset UPnP for WHS running on it. When I call for the same Larry Carlton using the NAS resident WHS version of Asset I get exactly what I asked for.

Is it possible the OSX Asset is interacting badly with the NAS resident WHS version?

regards
    Geoff
    Thanks

I tried the 'smb:' prefix for exactly the same reason - unfortunately it didn't work at all for me...

My NAS is a QNAP - Have no idea if that makes a difference...

Peter-Marc

Super Moderator

Thanks for the report, we're looking into this.
    What client did you use to browse your Asset library?
    Did you restart Asset OSX or change its configuration while browsing?

Does the issue persist if you try to browse with another client or purging any client-side cache of your library data?
    Last edited by PeterP; 10-11-2012 at 04:34 AM.

Super Moderator

Regarding mounting network shares, here's what I've had to do:
    Finder, Network => Connect to Server, mount the share
    Then put "/Volumes/<sharename>/music" in the watched folder list.
    Putting smb:// paths there does not seem to work on my system.

We'll be looking into producing better user interface for Asset configuration on OSX, where you do not have to manually input folder paths.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Thanks for the report, we're looking into this.
    What client did you use to browse your Asset library?
    Did you restart Asset OSX or change its configuration while browsing?

Does the issue persist if you try to browse with another client or purging any client-side cache of your library data?
    I used Kinsky Desktop on the same Mac. I purged it and tried this routine several times because it took me by surprise. I left it and switched the chosen library back to WHS Asset in Kinsky and that worked fine. Overnight tne Mac was shut down, on restart the smb: path no longer worked and Asset OSX remained blank. In fact Asset OSX disappeared off the desktop and I had to remount it using Finder. I then did as you advised and mounted my NAS Music folder then used /volumes/Music. It seems to be doing a scan that is starting to bring up my music library so I will try a different client and report on that later .

Geoff

Any news on this - fed up with Windows going screwy running in Parallels on my Mac Mini - It will be great to have a Mac native client working.....